What's Growing in My Tank

Justin McDevitt

20200208_201814.jpg Can anyone tell me what this is on top of the live sand? Cleaned all of it off the top last weekend when I did a water chang . So this is 1 week.

DaveK

This is a cyano, or red slime outbreak. It's very common in new tanks. Keep fighting it, but above all don't panic.

I do not recommend every using any of the red slime remover products, because unless you fix the root cause, you'll do a lot more harm than good.

Usually a new tank will go through several blooms of unwanted algae over the first 6 months or so. Maintain your water quality and they will pass even though the tank looks terrible for awhile.

Alf

This is a cyano, or red slime outbreak. It's very common in new tanks. Keep fighting it, but above all don't panic.

I do not recommend every using any of the red slime remover products, because unless you fix the root cause, you'll do a lot more harm than good.

Usually a new tank will go through several blooms of unwanted algae over the first 6 months or so. Maintain your water quality and they will pass even though the tank looks terrible for awhile.
I'm with Dave on this good husbandry and time will clear this up, Increase current flow will help this also.