Nobby's S-650

Nobbygas

Next up, lighting!
I have been running the Saxby schedule for a couple of years now. One of the small problems that has cropped up is the growth of red dinos/algae on the sand. Everything appears to be ok with the water quality, so suspicion must fall on the lighting schedule. Having looked around I see that far more people are using the BRS AB+ schedule. So, I downloaded that to have a look. The Saxby schedule does have reds and greens running at around 8 or 10% and I suspect it was this that was causing the growth on the sand. The AB+ runs much lower at around 2%. To be honest you'll find people happy with either schedule, but I am looking to get rid of the red stuff on the sand.....First impression is that the AB+ schedule doesn't appear to be as 'bright' but it does look more lifelike. The AB+ is also not so Blue. I'll run it for a week to see what I think, while keeping a close beady eye on the corals. Hell, maybe I'll be able to grow GSP under this schedule!

Pancho75

Next up, lighting!
I have been running the Saxby schedule for a couple of years now. One of the small problems that has cropped up is the growth of red dinos/algae on the sand. Everything appears to be ok with the water quality, so suspicion must fall on the lighting schedule. Having looked around I see that far more people are using the BRS AB+ schedule. So, I downloaded that to have a look. The Saxby schedule does have reds and greens running at around 8 or 10% and I suspect it was this that was causing the growth on the sand. The AB+ runs much lower at around 2%. To be honest you'll find people happy with either schedule, but I am looking to get rid of the red stuff on the sand.....First impression is that the AB+ schedule doesn't appear to be as 'bright' but it does look more lifelike. The AB+ is also not so Blue. I'll run it for a week to see what I think, while keeping a close beady eye on the corals. Hell, maybe I'll be able to grow GSP under this schedule!
Good to hear your will be tuning your lights. I also tried the AB+ but it was way to high for my tank, it started to bleach my softies mainly duncans. Shaun and others have told me before the green and red light contributes to algae.

In my case I am trying to place some respirations in my profile to try approach the light to the natural conditions.
7851005bb3af089baa0ce7ec18b6db98.jpg

Reactions: SPR

Nobbygas

I found the Saxby settings were far brighter than the BRS AB+ ones. The Red & Green in Saxby were too high and I started getting red sand. Since switching to the BRS settings it has disappeared.
I've also noticed quicker coral growth under the BRS settings. Strange isn't it that we reef keepers can spot the smallest of things in our tanks, like coral growth. I suppose it's because we spend more time than anyone else looking at them !

Nobbygas

Tomorrow morning will be a busy one. First, I have to complete my 20km bike ride. This week I'm working 4pm till midnight, so my bike rides have to take place in the morning as there is no way I'm riding home from work at midnight.
I have to mix up some more Calc. This time I will mix the full 1kg of powder into 10 litres and store the extra. The Calc uptake in my tank is rising all the time and mixing up 1.5 litres for the container is becoming a pain. Next I have to replace the Rhowophos and Carbon in the NYOS Torq. Change the filter floss, fill up the ATO and if I have any time left I might, just might take the UVC apart to clean it.

SPR

Tomorrow morning will be a busy one. First, I have to complete my 20km bike ride. This week I'm working 4pm till midnight, so my bike rides have to take place in the morning as there is no way I'm riding home from work at midnight.
I have to mix up some more Calc. This time I will mix the full 1kg of powder into 10 litres and store the extra. The Calc uptake in my tank is rising all the time and mixing up 1.5 litres for the container is becoming a pain. Next I have to replace the Rhowophos and Carbon in the NYOS Torq. Change the filter floss, fill up the ATO and if I have any time left I might, just might take the UVC apart to clean it.
Best get the ointment out then! Lol

If your using the Red Sea calcium Foundation A, I wouldn’t mix it with 10 litres unless you want it super diluted. It mixes into 1.8 litres. Might be why your using so much! Lol

Oh, and notifications haven’t been working so I haven’t been ignoring you!

Nobbygas

Best get the ointment out then! Lol

If your using the Red Sea calcium Foundation A, I wouldn’t mix it with 10 litres unless you want it super diluted. It mixes into 1.8 litres. Might be why your using so much! Lol

Oh, and notifications haven’t been working so I haven’t been ignoring you!
My fat fingered mistake, it should have been Alk, not Calc.

Nobbygas

I managed to get it all done, except cleaning the UVC. That can wait until tomorrow. Talking of tomorrow I shall take a water sample and send it off for an ICP test. It's about time I had another one.
In the meantime I can see that my Clowns have laid eggs. They have probably done it many times, but this is the first time I can actually see them.

Nobbygas

Are you still using your hatchery ?
Absolutely! It's fantastic. Very easy to set up. Very easy to clean. Very easy to harvest. It could not be simpler. We all buy stuff, use it, and then discard it when it doesn't meet expectations, but the hatchery is not in that category. The fish love it, especially the Anthias, Chromis, Wrasse, Grammas y'know, the smaller fish. I don't know if the Tangs and Triggers are up for them, as it is difficult to see if they are actually eating them! You can see the mouths of the smaller fish chomping away, but the bigger fish just seem to cruise around. Maybe they just don't appear to be chomping but they are sucking them up anyway. They also help to feed the Mandarins, and there must be a benefit for the 'wavy' corals. The baby Brine provide food for the whole tank. I'd highly recommend it.
On top of all that, it's pretty cheap as well!

SPR

Absolutely! It's fantastic. Very easy to set up. Very easy to clean. Very easy to harvest. It could not be simpler. We all buy stuff, use it, and then discard it when it doesn't meet expectations, but the hatchery is not in that category. The fish love it, especially the Anthias, Chromis, Wrasse, Grammas y'know, the smaller fish. I don't know if the Tangs and Triggers are up for them, as it is difficult to see if they are actually eating them! You can see the mouths of the smaller fish chomping away, but the bigger fish just seem to cruise around. Maybe they just don't appear to be chomping but they are sucking them up anyway. They also help to feed the Mandarins, and there must be a benefit for the 'wavy' corals. The baby Brine provide food for the whole tank. I'd highly recommend it.
On top of all that, it's pretty cheap as well!
I’m flying to Cape Verde next Friday, but might order one when I get back, they do look quiet cool.

Nobbygas

On Monday I go shopping.....It's the annual 20% off everything at one of the big LFS. I shall be in to order the Ecotech Vectra L2 pump, an Ecotech Battery Backup MP60 and an Ecotech Battery Backup Booster. All together this should give me a saving of around 160 euro.

SPR

On Monday I go shopping.....It's the annual 20% off everything at one of the big LFS. I shall be in to order the Ecotech Vectra L2 pump, an Ecotech Battery Backup MP60 and an Ecotech Battery Backup Booster. All together this should give me a saving of around 160 euro.
MP60 ?

Pancho75

The battery back up is a great purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobbygas

You know when we have one of 'those moments' where we just stop thinking straight and afterwards we just scratch our heads and wonder just what were we thinking?
A few weeks ago my Nitrates were practically zero and so was Phos. "aha", I thought. I just need to bring down the amount of NOPOX I'm dosing.......so I did.

Roll on a few weeks, and the latest test shows that my Nitrates are up to 25ppm and my Phos has shot up to 0.008......."blimey", I think to myself. How did that happen? I only replenished the Rhowophos last week. What can I do about this, while forgetting that I had reduced the NOPOX, and I had probably reduced it too much.
It was a full 24hrs before I had that "eureka" moment when I remembered that I had lowered the NOPOX dosage.

Sometimes, I do worry that my mind just doesn't work properly.