Highly's Red Sea Max 400 Mixed Reef

SPR

Then I think they removed some glass on this sump. The pipes lead down into a chamber but it has a gap on the bottom left into the skimmer chamber. The only option i see is making a sheet of perspex and putting it after the skimmer chamber before the water gets to the return pump.
I believe some of the older S series didn’t have the filter sock part there.

You could also look to install something like the clarisea instead maybe if you’ve got to change something anyway

Highlyagaming

That could also be it, took a real good look at the sump and it has no indication of having been modded. I have just had a look at the clarisea and the compact version could work very well indeed, so I guess I will add another item to my long upgrades list lmao.

Nobbygas

That could also be it, took a real good look at the sump and it has no indication of having been modded. I have just had a look at the clarisea and the compact version could work very well indeed, so I guess I will add another item to my long upgrades list lmao.
All tanks are different, but they all make your wallet cry :)

Highlyagaming

So yeah I have just figured out a problem I had on my tank. So I was about to clean my pumps when I noticed the middle circulation had no flow, put my hand in the tank and Zaaaaap lol

Turns out the seal on the cable to the pump has failed and was giving the tank massive stray voltage (could explain why my gobby died few days ago for now apparent reason). So yeah can defo say that pumps out of the tank now.

Any one changed the stock circulation pumps in the rear compartment? If so which ones did you use?

trying to source replacements but they cost £100 and another £47 ish for shipping

Reactions: SPR

Highlyagaming

Yep. I bought a NYOS Viper 3.0 pump. It is quieter than the stock ones and pushes out more water. I wrote about it in my thread.
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/nobbys-s-650.97362/page-51
Just read the posts, yeah answers my question perfectly. Tho now that i have just one pump and the return pump seems my corals like less flow better. So might just buy the viper and replace the current working pump and only run that, as before my softies were sloshing around like mad with the dual circulation plus return pumps on even at low setting.

Was also trying to research if any of the newer controllable DC pumps had a viable current option that way It could randomly change and give a more reef like effect to the tank. i have an mp10 around some were but I rather like the fact that the tank has no visible cables and prefer keeping it that way.

Last edited:

Highlyagaming

Thanks, everything is very stable parameter wise except for that dam No3 which is sky high. Softies, fish and inverts are thriving but lps and spa dont last sadly.

With everything ive done I guess its just a waiting game now to see if it slowly goes down with water changes and constant cleaning.

Highlyagaming

Well heading off to the UK in a few hours for some xmas shopping. Wife has thankfully agreed to get me the reefled 90’s .

Will be poping into charterhouse aquatics at some point to get them. Happy chappy right now

Highlyagaming

The tanks looks really nice, good colors.
Thank you very much, just ran into a massive problem and I am freaking out. Just got home from work and my regal tang has ich all of my other fish are healthy including the two new fish I added last week which I got from a friend who's had em for a few months and are showing no signs of the infection.

Only thing I can think of is that he got stressed when I introduced the new fish. He is eating like a pig as normal so ive started to feed nori dipped in garlic atleast once a day, and feeding frozen/pellets dipped in garlic once a day to boost its immune system. Got some paraguard by seachem on standby but i have quite a few inverts and they are prob gnna die if I start dosing as I cannot take them out and I have no QT tank. Arggg this is so stressful just when the tank was starting to look so dam good.

Pancho75

Argh! ich.... I am sorry you are battling it.

I know @Nobbygas had good results using PolypLab Medic in early ich infections. In the other hand @PaulB would tell you to make sure you feed live food to your fish to enable them to cope with the infection.

Nobbygas

Yep, I swear by Polyplab Medic. It's safe for corals and invertabrates. I think it doesn't do much for the infected fish, but it does kill the parasite in it's free-swimming mode and this reduces the effects on other fish.
For feeding I'd increase to frozen every day, and if you can get some live food (ie. Black Worms). Some people have suggested sprinkling some powdered dry root ginger onto the food. I've done this in the past. Does it work? I've no idea, but it doesn't harm anything.
So, I'd use Polyplab Medic and increase the quantity and quality of the food. The Regal may not pull through. If he does, then fantastic but it's a question of avoiding a complete wipe-out.

Highlyagaming

I can happily say I have beat the Ich outbreak with only a few snails dying, no fish or inverts died! so so happy, I have been told my polyp lab medic will be arriving tomorrow so might run it for a week to make sure ive killed it all off but non of my fish are showing signs of ich anymore. All equipment and filtration media are back in the tank and corals are getting better by the day, should be getting my new reef LEDS after new years and my new TMC return pump. Things are looking up!

Happy xmas all and happy new year!

SPR

I can happily say I have beat the Ich outbreak with only a few snails dying, no fish or inverts died! so so happy, I have been told my polyp lab medic will be arriving tomorrow so might run it for a week to make sure ive killed it all off but non of my fish are showing signs of ich anymore. All equipment and filtration media are back in the tank and corals are getting better by the day, should be getting my new reef LEDS after new years and my new TMC return pump. Things are looking up!

That’s great news and you to!

Pancho75

Great news !
That means your reef is resistant, happy for you.

Highlyagaming

Great news !
That means your reef is resistant, happy for you.
Thank you very much, was so relieved when the tang spent a few days spot free. Was hesitant at first thinking it was the normal drop off part of the cycle but almost a week now and all clear, now moving on to the next part of my plan which is going full Aqua forest probio method.

Day 2 so far, Ive made a new Instagram account and named it after my son as he loves the tank and will prob be in the hobby soon enough. Daily pics/vids of the tanks progress with the new program along with hopefully what is to be a small new tank to breed my paired clownfish. Will be filling and setting it up this week, need to try and get a culture of rotifers going to be able to properly feed the fry.

Highlyagaming

Well its been a while since my last post, guess there is some catching up to do

Well lets start with the biggest change, I've switched from semi red sea dosing products to Full aqua forest probiotic method in the aim to keep SPS and LPS in a low nutrient system. So far the results are absolutely amazing with my tank having gone from over 80 ppm nitrates to 10 in a month or so. Got a few new corals mainly LPS a euyphillia, trachy, lobophillia, two candy canes with few heads & and another of what I assume Is some sort of species of hairy lobo. All Lps is doing amazing in my tank however a few tiny frags of acros i got given by a friend have not faired so well so I guess I am not ready for SPS yet.

Parameters are all on point but due to new additions Ive seen a massive change in how much elements drop daily so I am going to have to buy a dosing pump to be able to keep up with it as atm Im having to dose large amounts on a weekly basis just to maintain it.

My new red sea reef led arrives tomorrow (got lost in the mail on xmas and had to get a replacement). However I am unsure if i sould use it as its recommended to have two on my tank and atm I cannot afford the second unit so I am unsure what to do for now (any ideas is if should use it in the center for now? Or should i keep my Chinese led till I can afford a second unit prob in 4/5 months time).

Replaced my old reef octopus classic skimmer with a aqua medic dc pump skimmer and its absolutely brilliant.

Here are some new pics to show the changes in the tank.

Attachments

• AF3D32FA-8546-47D0-BDAB-55D440EF0499.jpeg
    AF3D32FA-8546-47D0-BDAB-55D440EF0499.jpeg
    587.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 94134D9D-FEAA-498C-9A6D-302774B24768.jpeg
    94134D9D-FEAA-498C-9A6D-302774B24768.jpeg
    364.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 29028727-6A8F-4F22-BC8F-9D140F618E55.jpeg
    29028727-6A8F-4F22-BC8F-9D140F618E55.jpeg
    332.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 7A8EF4AF-7E90-4C3D-8560-70084093BB4D.jpeg
    7A8EF4AF-7E90-4C3D-8560-70084093BB4D.jpeg