Nobby's S-650

SPR

You want to try out the NYOS calcium and magnesium test kits, they are so simple to use, really.

With my Hanna Alkalinity it only takes me about 5 minutes to do 4 tests their that quick.

Nobbygas

You want to try out the NYOS calcium and magnesium test kits, they are so simple to use, really.

With my Hanna Alkalinity it only takes me about 5 minutes to do 4 tests their that quick.
Yeah, some tests are pretty quick, but then look at the Red Sea Phos test where you have to wait fifteen minutes !
It would be so much nicer and easier to just check an App to see what the results are, and know that the dosage has been automatically adjusted to keep things level.

Reactions: SPR

SPR

Yeah, some tests are pretty quick, but then look at the Red Sea Phos test where you have to wait fifteen minutes !
It would be so much nicer and easier to just check an App to see what the results are, and know that the dosage has been automatically adjusted to keep things level.
Get the Hanna phosphate as well then. It has just a 3 minute wait and while your waiting you can do the NYOS Calcium and Magnesium tests. Maybe even alkalinity if ya quick!

I’m saying all this, but of course the minute Neptune Trident is released in the UK..........

Nobbygas

Ha, ha, when I got home from work there was a box waiting for me. It was the JBL Artimeo Set.
So, here is my first ever video regarding aquarium equipment (if you discount the disaster with the Nyos Reactor).....In fact, it's two videos with another one to come tomorrow where I shall report on the success, or failure of the breeding operation.

SPR

Ha, ha, when I got home from work there was a box waiting for me. It was the JBL Artimeo Set.
So, here is my first ever video regarding aquarium equipment (if you discount the disaster with the Nyos Reactor).....In fact, it's two videos with another one to come tomorrow where I shall report on the success, or failure of the breeding operation.

Did you have to practice making that video Mike ? Can we see the first 6 takes ?! Lol

Great job anyway, it looks really cool, but more importantly simple to use and it will be interesting to see how they grow and multiply.

I think I would use RO water instead of tap in view of the small volume needed though. No particular reason.

I’ll now go and study brine shrimp breeding and await the next instalment! Lol

Nobbygas

It was really easy to set-up. It is not made of high quality acrylic etc, but just plastic. In reality for this you don't need high-end expensive stuff. It can also be wall mounted and comes with the appropriate screws. You can also daisy chain several units and use just the single air pump. I shall investigate further but I'm sure there may be 'other critters' than can be bred in one of these, maybe Copepods?
The cone shape, with the tap at the bottom, makes it really easy to get the shrimp out.

The videos were both shot in one go. No re-takes, no out-takes. This time next month I may well be either cloning human beings or directing the next Star Wars film !
They do recommend tap water over RO water. Something to do with the Ph levels which are also aided by the egg/salt mixture.

I am being kidnapped on my way home from work tonight and I'll be forced to drink more beer than I should, therefore the video will not be posted tonight but hopefully I'll be able to hold the video camera steady enough to make a 'after 24hrs' short video of either a/ the success, or b/ the failure which I'll post tomorrow.

The total cost of the unit plus the eggs was about 42 euro, which is not expensive. The pot with the eggs in says it is good for fourteen refills, which works out at 3 euro for the first fourteen harvests. After that the cost comes down dramatically. Each bag of live food from the LFS costs about 1.50 euro, so in the long term this could be a cost saver.

SPR

It was really easy to set-up. It is not made of high quality acrylic etc, but just plastic. In reality for this you don't need high-end expensive stuff. It can also be wall mounted and comes with the appropriate screws. You can also daisy chain several units and use just the single air pump. I shall investigate further but I'm sure there may be 'other critters' than can be bred in one of these, maybe Copepods?
The cone shape, with the tap at the bottom, makes it really easy to get the shrimp out.

The videos were both shot in one go. No re-takes, no out-takes. This time next month I may well be either cloning human beings or directing the next Star Wars film !
They do recommend tap water over RO water. Something to do with the Ph levels which are also aided by the egg/salt mixture.

I am being kidnapped on my way home from work tonight and I'll be forced to drink more beer than I should, therefore the video will not be posted tonight but hopefully I'll be able to hold the video camera steady enough to make a 'after 24hrs' short video of either a/ the success, or b/ the failure which I'll post tomorrow.
I’ve already been on eBay this morning and ‘nearly’ ordered one! Lol. It was in the basket with eggs.

But I decided to wait as I have enough to build and I’m off to Spain on Monday so I’ll watch your videos.

Make it tonight when you get back from the bar’s! Lol

rustyreefer

Get the Hanna phosphate as well then. It has just a 3 minute wait and while your waiting you can do the NYOS Calcium and Magnesium tests. Maybe even alkalinity if ya quick!

I’m saying all this, but of course the minute Neptune Trident is released in the UK..........

I’m just going to leave this right here for y’all :)
Mins Avg and highs since I installed it.

afece887cb3c03dcf04b6a5593560aa5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobbygas

So, here is the result of the Brine Shrimp Breeding..........This video is my second lot. I did attempt a video of the first harvest and feeding them into the tank, but my Senior Video Assistant (Son Lenny, aged 8) accidently switched the video off when he should have been recording. You just can't get the staff nowadays!
So, these critters have hatched in 24 hrs, and there are thousands of them! When I fed the first harvest to the tank the bigger fish like the Tangs and the Triggers didn't really pay any attention to them. It was the Anthias, Chromis, Wrasse etc that went crazy. There are too many baby Shrimp in the Cone to put them all in the tank at once. Each cone can easily be spread to cover three feedings.

SPR

So, here is the result of the Brine Shrimp Breeding..........This video is my second lot. I did attempt a video of the first harvest and feeding them into the tank, but my Senior Video Assistant (Son Lenny, aged 8) accidently switched the video off when he should have been recording. You just can't get the staff nowadays!
So, these critters have hatched in 24 hrs, and there are thousands of them! When I fed the first harvest to the tank the bigger fish like the Tangs and the Triggers didn't really pay any attention to them. It was the Anthias, Chromis, Wrasse etc that went crazy. There are too many baby Shrimp in the Cone to put them all in the tank at once. Each cone can easily be spread to cover three feedings.

That’s very cool there’s 1000’s of them. I might need to get me one of them. After I’ve mastered the calcium reactor! Lol

Nobbygas

To summarise......
The unit was not expensive, about 45 euro. The egg/salt mix was about 11 euro and this will provide enough for 14 harvests. With each harvest being spread over three feeds that works out at approx. 38 cents per feed. Much cheaper than buying bags of live food from the LFS. This gives live food to the fish three times a week, which is not bad at all. You do not have to run the breeder continuously either. Just 24hrs once a week! My next trick will be to see if I can grow the baby Brine Shrimp so that they are a bit bigger and maybe tempt the bigger fish to have a snack as well.
When the harvest is complete it is very easy to wash out the cone (just rinse under a tap) and the sieve.

Obviously I still feed frozen and the Brine Shrimp are supplemental to that, but live food must surely benefit the fish in the long term. It also makes things just a little bit more interesting for the tank, and for me :)

Nobbygas

Another plus point for Red Sea. We currently use (or some of us do) Red Sea Energy A&B. These need to be refrigerated after opening and are not suitable for using in a doser. They now have the new Red Sea Energy AB+, which combines the two products into one bottle. It also does not need refrigerating and can be used with a doser ! It also claims 15% more coral growth compared to the old product.
https://reefbuilders.com/2019/10/28...4pHWe49nzpzfZ9g2wvcHGeVu7DIgEQ32NpjQYV3DbLc8c