Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

SPR

Just been thinking (yep, bored again in work) and when do you get the Solar Panels fitted onto the roof to help power this beast. Plus, you'd best get an air conditioning unit installed in the man cave to help with the huge amount of water evaporation that you can expect.

Seriously though, have you considered the amount of water evaporation and what steps to take to alleviate any potential damp problems?
No solar panels and yes i have considered humidity, but I wont know for sure until its been running for a while.

I was originally going to install a vent above the tank, but the builder thought this wouldn't be necessary, but if I need anything I'll just get a portable dehumidifier vented to the outside

During the warmer months our doors are generally left open when we are in. We have an AGA which is pumping out heat so need plenty of ventilation to get rid of the heat.

Pancho75

I can see project coordination is your forte! Lol

All correct apart from you’ve missed out the main but which is building all the plumbing and systems into place, which is what’s taking the time. I’m still awaiting plumbing parts. I’m a bit reluctant to get them from somewhere else as I want them all the same colour

I’m currently debating the sump cabinet lights. The LED strip ones I’ve installed in the cabinet seem to be peeling off, an effect of gravity, sunlight etc. I’m not going to permanently fasten them because they aren’t the best quality and I’m not screwing to the underside of the tank

The shed is not covering most of the patio doors now so there is a lot of natural light into the sump so it’s bright in the daytime, but I may need to address this (algae growth etc)

I basically want cool white or daylight white otherwise warm light which I have now makes the sump look dingy.

So I’m currently debating either these, which are the same/similar as in the 650 and are on a 12v transformer. I would also attach these with heavy duty Velcro which will hold them

https://www.lightinthebox.com/en/p/...lf_p6907505.html?category_id=4001&prm=1.4.1.1

But then I think why not something like this which is IP66 rated

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07QTZGM8Q/

The connecting to full electric concerns me a little, but then again this would be screwed to the wooden frame at the rear of the sump, so a permanent fixing. It would only be ‘on’ when I’m around so no real worries of electrical issues. But I’m concerned so will probably go with the ones above which would be safer.

I’ve spent days trying to find something I like. Basically cool white, very bright and big enough to cover a 3 metre sump area, so any ideas greatly appreciated

Both options seem to be good for me, maybe a I am little bit more inclined for the Amazon one.

SPR

So back to the light dilemma

I think my problem is that I’ve stuck the lights to the wood, which is absorbent, and as ‘my builder’ has pointed out it won’t work long term. Infact it won’t work short term because their already hanging down.

So having located some more lights I’ve ordered 6 of these.

https://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/phoebe-600mm-8w-led-link-light-cool-white/

Now me being a super internet shopper, and with the principal watch the pennies and the pounds will watch themselves (just ignore the price of the equipment list for this paragraph!), I found the lights somewhere else, and then discovered these were being offered with a 50% price reduction and they also just plug in and can be linked together.

And although I only needed 5 lights, if I purchased 6 I got free postage so the 6th light was nearly free and I do like a bargain!

So with these which are better quality I might just get some very small, short screws and screw then to the wood under the tank, or use heavy duty Velcro with some Gorilla glue for good measure to bond to the wood.

SPR

The shed has now been fitted with a 25mm layer of Kingspan Insulation material. This is really good stuff and should prevent any freezing temperature water issues inside.

Next step is to install 12mm of wood so that we can attach equipment and shelving to the walls.

6d08d949-8253-4e33-bcc5-0e21c85c956c-jpeg.1233732
6c77f7b5-b627-4d15-8630-c707c3f9d6e0-jpeg.1233733

SPR

Is there any space left after you put in the water butts and the RODI unit?
Yes, the containers sit perfectly inside but there’s little space left in front now the kingspan/woods in. Perfect tight fit as everything was measured before I purchased it (at least 50 times! Lol)

If your looking at the picture the tanks are on a wall so appear higher.

The tanks are around 1100mm high and the shed is around 2017mm high

I’m going to install a shelf above the tanks to sit the RODI system on and I may also mount the Apex DOS out there for the water changes. I haven’t decided yet, but there should be plenty of room.

Nobbygas

Next question.
The back wall. Are you going to continue to keep it clean or not? I tend to scrape mine once a week, but I can imagine it will be a bigger job on this tank. I know we had this conversation a few years back regarding our S-650's, and I managed to convince you to keep it clean.

Reactions: SPR

SPR

Next question.
The back wall. Are you going to continue to keep it clean or not? I tend to scrape mine once a week, but I can imagine it will be a bigger job on this tank. I know we had this conversation a few years back regarding our S-650's, and I managed to convince you to keep it clean.

I'm going to keep it clean, I think it adds to much depth and contrast to allow it to get dirty.

There will no doubt be some spots that become difficult to reach behind the rockwork like the S650, but just spots that you cant really see.

I think its a bigger job of course, but I only do the S650 probably once every 3 weeks or so usually when the little white spots start to appear on the back wall.

Its one of those jobs that's relatively easy as long as you keep on top of it and dont let it become to encrusted.

I could do with a very wide scraper, like a stainless steel tool of some sort (im talking builders type thing not aquarium) with a long handle

Nobbygas

Good man. A clean back wall makes the corals and the fish stand out much better, in my humble opinion of course !

Have you been playing with your rocks yet?

SPR

Have you been playing with your rocks yet?

Not yet but probably shortly, I nearly got them out yesterday as it was raining.

I know roughly how im going to design it.

I have the lights on and am getting used to them, so a few rocks in the tank would look good at night for something to look at. Like a moonscape!

SPR

There are that many bits you need to fasten things together its endless.

I went outside yesterday to fasten the power supplies for the Radions to the back of the tank, basically there is a wooden panel at the top of the sump so their off the floor, and to make the cables tidy.

It was a really good idea to leave access through the patio door, its made it so much easier

The cable ties I have werent long enough and for various reasons I couldn't link them together so ive had to order some very long cable ties and bigger cable tie holders! This is just one example.

Im doing everything slowly so its thought out and trying to keep it all as neat as possible.

Nobbygas

There are that many bits you need to fasten things together its endless.

I went outside yesterday to fasten the power supplies for the Radions to the back of the tank, basically there is a wooden panel at the top of the sump so their off the floor, and to make the cables tidy.

It was a really good idea to leave access through the patio door, its made it so much easier

The cable ties I have werent long enough and for various reasons I couldn't link them together so ive had to order some very long cable ties and bigger cable tie holders! This is just one example.

Im doing everything slowly so its thought out and trying to keep it all as neat as possible.
Aye, you need to keep the back as tidy as possible because of the doors. You don't want to find yourself having a Pimms with the Duke of Thrumpshire on the terrace with a mess of cables on show through the door.

SPR

I ‘happen’ to be near the LFS today and on spec I called in to see if they had any harlequin shrimp in stock, and luckily they had had one retuned at the weekend, a nice big hungry one

I’m fed up of manually removing Asterina starfish in the S650, so back in goes a harlequin. It will be interesting later to see if the starfish start running up the walls , screaming, like they did last time I added one!!

Anyway, my little friend.....

IMG_3072.JPG

SPR

So during my visit today to the LFS I started thinking about stocking the beast

I’m thinking ‘shoals’ here, so just to start I’ve asked for a price for these, all to be small juveniles only, I don’t want any large fish as I like them to grow from juveniles to adults in my care, you see I have a nurturing instinct! Lol

15 x Blue Chromis

6 x Yellow Tangs (I love these fish)

15 x Indian Ocean Lyretail Anthias

I might have to increase some of the non Tang numbers but just a start

rustyreefer

I’m thinking ‘shoals’ here, so just to start I’ve asked for a price for these, all to be small juveniles only, I don’t want any large fish as I like them to grow from juveniles to adults in my care, you see I have a nurturing instinct! Lol

15 x Blue Chromis

I like yellow tangs and as soon as I catch that dang foxface I am going to add one.

Looks a like a good start. a few good wrasses would be good additions too

Nobbygas

15 x Blue Chromis

Here is my take. Personally I wouldn't bother with the Blue Chromis. If I did I'd look towards the Green Chromis before the Blue. In the wild you don't see them swimming around in a nice shoal. They tend to live in and around very big colonies of SPS, which is something we cannot replicate in our tanks, not even your new super beast. Their numbers will reduce over time.
The Anthias are a great choice. Lyretail are very hardy, and the Male is a stunning fish.
I would look at adding another type of Anthia as well as the Lyretail. Maybe look at the pink/yellow/orange types like the Two Spot or the Bartlett's Anthia. I just think more Anthias are better for the 'population fish' rather than Chromis.
Six Yellow Tangs would be spectacular. Most aquarists keep just the one, yet in the wild they are a shoaling fish. I have two and to sometimes see them 'turn' at the same time is fantastic. Seeing six do that would make me moist!
Maybe two or three Regal's? These are also a shoaling fish in the wild.
Royal Gramma? I never really fancied this fish before. I don't know why. Then I added one, then added another. The two together look great. Unfortunately I lost one and I'm now waiting for the LFS to get me another two, which will mean I have three. Personally In your beast I think four or five would look stunning. Not an expensive fish, but very colourful and they do tend to hang around together.
Wrasse: If I had to start again I would attempt to get Male/Female combinations wherever possible. For certain a Male/Female Leopard Wrasse combination. I'd also get the Yellow tailed Tamarin Wrasse. The Melanurus wrasse is also a must get.
If you cannot transfer the two Blue Throated Triggers, then you just have to buy another two! You know as well as I do that they are the real 'character' fish in the tank ! My Male still spits water at me occasionally. It's a habit he picked up from She Who Casts No Shadow I think.

Go for Male/Female combinations.

SPR

Here is my take. Personally I wouldn't bother with the Blue Chromis. If I did I'd look towards the Green Chromis before the Blue. In the wild you don't see them swimming around in a nice shoal. They tend to live in and around very big colonies of SPS, which is something we cannot replicate in our tanks, not even your new super beast. Their numbers will reduce over time.
The Anthias are a great choice. Lyretail are very hardy, and the Male is a stunning fish.
I would look at adding another type of Anthia as well as the Lyretail. Maybe look at the pink/yellow/orange types like the Two Spot or the Bartlett's Anthia. I just think more Anthias are better for the 'population fish' rather than Chromis.
Six Yellow Tangs would be spectacular. Most aquarists keep just the one, yet in the wild they are a shoaling fish. I have two and to sometimes see them 'turn' at the same time is fantastic. Seeing six do that would make me moist!
Maybe two or three Regal's? These are also a shoaling fish in the wild.
Royal Gramma? I never really fancied this fish before. I don't know why. Then I added one, then added another. The two together look great. Unfortunately I lost one and I'm now waiting for the LFS to get me another two, which will mean I have three. Personally In your beast I think four or five would look stunning. Not an expensive fish, but very colourful and they do tend to hang around together.
Wrasse: If I had to start again I would attempt to get Male/Female combinations wherever possible. For certain a Male/Female Leopard Wrasse combination. I'd also get the Yellow tailed Tamarin Wrasse. The Melanurus wrasse is also a must get.
If you cannot transfer the two Blue Throated Triggers, then you just have to buy another two! You know as well as I do that they are the real 'character' fish in the tank ! My Male still spits water at me occasionally. It's a habit he picked up from She Who Casts No Shadow I think.

Go for Male/Female combinations.

Good ideas, male and females as well were possible.

I think the Chromis I have are actually Blue/Green Chromis as I asked for a price yesterday and these are £6 each. I originally asked for blue but apparently there harder to keep/get and I think there a different kind

The fish possibility’s are endless, but only reefsafe fish as a strict rule, apart from the Emperor if I can catch him!

When I’m nearly ready to get ‘wet’ I’m going to put the fish trap in the S650 with a few small rocks etc to get them used to it........

IMG_3073.JPG