chickenjohn

Well, a month since the crash has passed so new fish are in the tank: mandarin
How do you keep the mandarin supplied with pods?
I want a mandarin but not sure of the best way to keep up with pods, ive tried all sorts to culture them myself but have never had success. I'm thinking of using cheato so hoping I can get a nice supply of pods through that.

Pancho75

How do you keep the mandarin supplied with pods?
I want a mandarin but not sure of the best way to keep up with pods, ive tried all sorts to culture them myself but have never had success. I'm thinking of using cheato so hoping I can get a nice supply of pods through that.
I waited about 9 months before adding the mandarin or wrasses. The pod population exploded then I added the mandarin and wrasses.

Also I run chaeto in the sump and I add pods every 3 months in the sump. That keeps the population going. Also I know @Paul B has a white worm culture to feed mandarins and other fish, I will try this next year when I go back to Mexico.

Pancho75

This is my bird nest surrounded by chilli pepper, purple montis, ricordeas and a favia.
6c174acc90d63891367889cbd6b3cb33.jpg

Nobbygas

I always did the same. Either my clumsy fingers, or the crabs, or whatever would break off bits of the twiggy SPS stuff and I would always pick it up and stick it to a small piece of rock and place it somewhere remote, well, as remote as you can get in an aquarium but you get my drift!
Now I've got frags growing everywhere.
I always used to worry about fighting between the corals, and what will grow next to what, but now I just let them get on with it especially as some have encrusted onto the rock and to move them would be a right PITA. It's survival of the fittest in my tank I'm afraid.
When I look at some of the frags I have bought where they charged my 15 quid for a piece of Hystrix, and I now see how fast it grows, it is no problem to snap off a piece the same size as I received and the coral wouldn't even know it's gone ! It's a real rip-off at times what they charge !
That looks like you have a good mixture there Pancho !

Pancho75

Great picture Pancho

I have that birds nest all over in my system, it grows like crazy. I originally fragged it, but it’s got to the point I’m having to snap pieces of and throw them away because it’s growing that quickly!
Yes it grows like crazy, I have to other smaller colonies in the back and growing !
I don’t mind though, just frag it frequently to get credit in the LFS. [emoji16]

Pancho75

I always did the same. Either my clumsy fingers, or the crabs, or whatever would break off bits of the twiggy SPS stuff and I would always pick it up and stick it to a small piece of rock and place it somewhere remote, well, as remote as you can get in an aquarium but you get my drift!
Now I've got frags growing everywhere.
I always used to worry about fighting between the corals, and what will grow next to what, but now I just let them get on with it especially as some have encrusted onto the rock and to move them would be a right PITA. It's survival of the fittest in my tank I'm afraid.
When I look at some of the frags I have bought where they charged my 15 quid for a piece of Hystrix, and I now see how fast it grows, it is no problem to snap off a piece the same size as I received and the coral wouldn't even know it's gone ! It's a real rip-off at times what they charge !
That looks like you have a good mixture there Pancho !
Thank you Nobby !
Honestly I still struggle to keep myself away when I see coral fight specially with the montis [emoji3061]. I always put my fat fingers and get new frags as you do. lol

Pancho75

The pistol shrimp and the black-ray goby arrived today. I am really happy, I hope they do their symbiosis.
They quickly went into hidding, the diamond goby is giving the new guy the cold shoulder, I hope they will get along.

The RBTA is taking a tour and now is completely in the back. [emoji2359]
Now is over the rock I have the 3 acros, I will relocate the acros if the RBTA starts climbing.

Pancho75

Dumb question time.
If you have to move your acros and they are not stuck down, how do they stay in the same place?
If you have to move your acros and they are stuck down, how are you going to move them?
What I meant is I would cut them, they are incrusted already but I can save most of them.

Maybe a little rough but that will save my acro frags. I really love the RBTA I hope it climbs up.

Last edited:

Pancho75

Few updates on my reef, the blenny decided to show up, that is a really good one, he doesn’t look active, fingers crossed.

The new goby and the pistol shrimp are still to be found, I will wait another week before declaring them MIA. The LFS is guaranteeing both so if they don’t appear I will have new ones.

I decided to add one percula clownfish I hope he will get along with my ocellaris. I also added a blue sponge, it will be fine in the DT.

Finally the RBTA is staying put so fat after rotating its rock, I hope the percula or the ocellaris host it.

Pancho75

I have more updates, I will start for the sad part. The black-ray goby jumped, my housekeeper found him this morning, I hate my Red Sea Net, it is the 3rd fish I lose to jumping. ;Sorry I believe my other goby the OSG one is overly aggressive and it was giving him hard time. He is also bullying the blenny, as I want a peaceful community I will try to capture him with a trap and get two new gobies one OSG and one black-ray.

The good part is the blenny appeared so I know he is definitely alive just shy of the OSG. The shrimp is still a mystery, I have not seen him, I will wait a little more.

The the blue sponge is doing fine, it needs shadow so the pics are a bit dark.

47958b0c5c593b8c32c2f56d119eae67.jpg
a5f03fb840982cefbfbc6d929745e42b.jpg

The new percula is looking for his place, he seems to be jealous of the ocellaris GSP. [emoji2359]

I think my clowns are a bit stupid, beautiful but stupid, two clowns with two BTA and no one hosting them because they prefer GSP. The RBTA was too close to other corals so its rock was rotated again, I hope he likes this spot. It is right in the front of the tank so it is perfect for me.

On another good one, my brain coral is holding and recovering fine from the crash, it was the one that suffering the most and I am very happy he is making it.

I think I am doing progress but it is slow and that may be better.

fe3f6422ed9e721f0578db957e8ff102.jpg
bf61fee6850e2d86ee87f34f225621be.jpg
1bfc56d1c1004fc50bb1f70f71ad34b0.jpg
a4958d93d9fc1b3125922352ef512af0.jpg