Col's Red Sea S-650

Collo

So, I've read a ton of tank builds over the years, gained lots of knowledge, do's and don't etc and decided its my turn to give a little back and start my own build thread

I've had marine aquariums on and off over the years, lots and lots of tanks. Everyone says get he biggest you can fit, and like everyone I never listened. I started off with a little used Boyu TL450, then an 80l BOYU, closely followed by a TL550, then an LED BOYU (cant remember the model - looks like the 550 but with an led hood) I've had an evolution aqua 900, 2 aquareef 275s, a few nanos and god knows what else, anyway about 3yrs ago i finished up with a 5ft sumped peninsula tank. I had this as a reef tank with some nice pieces, anyway 10 days before xmas 2017 I woke up one morning to a horrific noise and a half full tank, the tank had cracked between the overflow and return pipe in the weir box, drained out enough water that the return pump ran dry (the noise). I'd say 90% of my coral and fish died. I kept my 2 Picasso clowns, my goby and an anemone in a microhabitat optiwhite 60 and took the rest of what survived to my lfs and put the tank in storage, too close to xmas to try and get it repaired etc. That's how it stayed until last August. I was on holiday with my Mrs and we got talking, i was moaning about missing having a big tank etc, and she agreed to compromise - I could set one of my tanks up in the conservatory so I could have a few more fish. So on getting back to the UK I took one of my tanks out of storage, set it up got a few more fish and a couple of bits of coral and I was content (not for long) After the tank failed I had a vivarium commissioned for our 3 sugar gliders and we had this where my old tank used to live. So cut a long story short, after more negotiations than Brexit and what seems a higher penalty, we agreed I could get another large tank again. So plantation shutters are on order, we're looking at new kitchens currently, new curtains and a nice Tag Heuer watch and a new vivarium commissioned (to go in place of the tank in the conservatory) it was all agreed :)
2 weeks ago I placed an order for my s-650 (due July with the new red sea skimmer and their new red sea led's) Let the journey begin

I'm going for a reef tank once again, I went for the s-650 like most of the other owners, because there's nothing on show, its ready to use out of the box, and now they have ditched the c-skim, in theory I wont have to buy anything else for it. I have a Deltec 1651 if needed, I have a Hailea 300c chiller from my old tank (my get the Teco 500 though) Looking to use red sea pink sand, again for the same reasons as others (its coarseness) I have 50kg of Caribsea real reef rock (I probably have about 100kg of now dead live rock that I kept from my various tanks, but I'm probably not going to use this at all) I'll take some pics of the bits and pieces I've amassed so far in anticipation of the tank arriving.

I have a fairly new empty 8ft x 6ft shed that I'm going to insulate and board out and set my ea reef 900 up in and use this as my quarantine tank so I can get my fish and have them quarantined while my new tank cycles. I can store all my salt and water drums and other fish related stuff in the shed to keep the other half happy. Anyway Hi lol

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
:rbwwelc:to RS ! Great 1st post and congrats on the coming new RSM s-650 - Cheers for starting a tank thread so we can follow along :clink: look forward to pics and watching it come to life !

Reactions: SPR

Nobbygas

Welcome to the forum! I like the sound of the new S-650 with the new Skimmer and Red Sea LED's. One point I'd like to pick up from your post is the Chiller. Is the TECO 500 underpowered for the S-650? I know there is not a great deal of demand for a chiller in the UK so I don't expect it to have to operate that much, but on my research I ended up with the TECO 1000 for my S-650. Where I am in Central Germany I need the chiller as it usually is on the go for at least three months a year.
Of course, the other advantage of a TECO is that it also heats the water, so no need for heaters/temp controllers etc.

and pictures.....we need pictures :)
Top Tip: If you are going to assemble the tank yourself, you must have a powered screwdriver thingy/device!

Collo

Thanks for the tips, don't worry, I have a powered screwdriver at the ready :)
One thing I forgot to mention, I've seen lots of talk about it, but no one who's done it yet. My intention is to extend the downflow valve piping so the valve sits in my sump, like the reefer series. Reason being is my stupidity - when I bought the tank, id previously had a 5ft tank in the same space and remembered that there was a gap down the right hand side and the wall (my tank will sit between a chimney breast and a wall) What I didn't account for was i'd have to be able to fit down this gap to reach the valve - I 100% will not be able to, so extending into the sump is the easiest option. Red sea did suggest I open the valve fully and control from the shutoff valve, but i'd rather be able to access the valve, and i'd also be concerned it would be more noisy. So complete aquatics are supplying me with an extension that will fit between the downflow valve and tank - I will just have to cut off some pipe from the very end.

Nobbygas

Thanks for the tips, don't worry, I have a powered screwdriver at the ready :)
One thing I forgot to mention, I've seen lots of talk about it, but no one who's done it yet. My intention is to extend the downflow valve piping so the valve sits in my sump, like the reefer series. Reason being is my stupidity - when I bought the tank, id previously had a 5ft tank in the same space and remembered that there was a gap down the right hand side and the wall (my tank will sit between a chimney breast and a wall) What I didn't account for was i'd have to be able to fit down this gap to reach the valve - I 100% will not be able to, so extending into the sump is the easiest option. Red sea did suggest I open the valve fully and control from the shutoff valve, but i'd rather be able to access the valve, and i'd also be concerned it would be more noisy. So complete aquatics are supplying me with an extension that will fit between the downflow valve and tank - I will just have to cut off some pipe from the very end.
Sounds like a good idea. I think the downflow valve is the one design feature that should have been addressed by Red Sea on the S-650. It does seem to make more sense to have it in the sump facing the front.

Collo

Yea, not sure the reasoning behind its location tbh, just makes it awkward to access. Still undecided about a chiller, mainly because it will make the house even hotter. I have a chiller I may test with 1st while I'm cycling.

Collo

0903c1_b89d89d4727841b2810867c9a5711a08~mv2_d_4032_3024_s_4_2.jpg

After reading Nobbys tank build thread and using a fish trap to introduce new fish, I was thinking about one of these.

This is the info on it, sorry for the caps, its a cut and paste job.

THE ACCLIMATION POD IS THE BEST WAY TO INTRODUCE NEW FISH TO YOUR AQUARIUM.
IT GIVES YOUR NEW FISH A QUIET, SAFE ENVIROMENT TO SETTLE IN TO YOUR TANK AND ITS WATER PERAMETERS.

ONCE YOUR NEW FISH HAS BEEN TEMPERATURE AND DRIP ACCLIMATED IT CAN BE KEPT IN THE POD FOR UP TO TWO WEEKS TO GET USED TO YOUR TANK "STRESS FREE!!"

THE POD ALSO KEEPS THE NEW FISH SAFE FROM TERATORIAL RESIDENT FISH ATTACKS WHICH CAN SOMETIMES BE FATAL.

ANOTHER BENEFIT IS IF YOUR NEW FISH BECOMES SICK YOU CAN REMOVE IT FROM YOUR DISPLAY TANK WITH EASE,NO MORE CHASING FISH AROUND WITH A NET.

AND YET ANOTHER ADDED BONUS OF THE POD IS THAT ITS A FISH TRAP TOO!

Nobbygas

View attachment 49135

After reading Nobbys tank build thread and using a fish trap to introduce new fish, I was thinking about one of these.

This is the info on it, sorry for the caps, its a cut and paste job.

THE ACCLIMATION POD IS THE BEST WAY TO INTRODUCE NEW FISH TO YOUR AQUARIUM.
IT GIVES YOUR NEW FISH A QUIET, SAFE ENVIROMENT TO SETTLE IN TO YOUR TANK AND ITS WATER PERAMETERS.

ONCE YOUR NEW FISH HAS BEEN TEMPERATURE AND DRIP ACCLIMATED IT CAN BE KEPT IN THE POD FOR UP TO TWO WEEKS TO GET USED TO YOUR TANK "STRESS FREE!!"

THE POD ALSO KEEPS THE NEW FISH SAFE FROM TERATORIAL RESIDENT FISH ATTACKS WHICH CAN SOMETIMES BE FATAL.

ANOTHER BENEFIT IS IF YOUR NEW FISH BECOMES SICK YOU CAN REMOVE IT FROM YOUR DISPLAY TANK WITH EASE,NO MORE CHASING FISH AROUND WITH A NET.

AND YET ANOTHER ADDED BONUS OF THE POD IS THAT ITS A FISH TRAP TOO!
I do like the look of that. I only use the Fish Trap as it was something I already had, so using it saved a few quid. One point though, it's not much good for those that like the sand, like Wrasse who sleep in the sand. It can still be used for the Wrasse for a few hours though, but I don't think it's right to keep a Wrasse in there overnight without sand.......I may be wrong though.
Also, how big is it? Will you be able to find a gap big enough to house it in the tank?

Collo

Screenshot_20190611-093938__01 (003).jpg

On another note, I've ordered one of these (obv this isn't a max s650, but you get the idea) I'm having the cutouts kept and machined so I can put them in at night and remove in the morning, to reduce evaporation - that's the idea anyway

Nobbygas

View attachment 49136

On another note, I've ordered one of these (obv this isn't a max s650, but you get the idea) I'm having the cutouts kept and machined so I can put them in at night and remove in the morning, to reduce evaporation - that's the idea anyway
I do like the look of them. I currently have the Red Sea Mesh Cover. It's ok, but those look like the dog's danglies. Is it a Reef Tops one you're getting?

Collo

I do like the look of them. I currently have the Red Sea Mesh Cover. It's ok, but those look like the dog's danglies. Is it a Reef Tops one you're getting?

It is mate, I've had a red sea cover in the past, they're ok, a bit of a chore to make, but I really like the look of the reeftop. One of the conditions (like many) is the tank has to look good, its going to be a piece of furniture - another reason why I guess we spend so much money on a tank. A custom built one would be half the cost, but no where near as refined

Nobbygas

It is mate, I've had a red sea cover in the past, they're ok, a bit of a chore to make, but I really like the look of the reeftop. One of the conditions (like many) is the tank has to look good, its going to be a piece of furniture - another reason why I guess we spend so much money on a tank. A custom built one would be half the cost, but no where near as refined
Agree. The S-650 is a piece of furniture. You'll have to let me know how easy it is to remove/put back the Reeftops lid. I often remove the Red Sea top when I need 'hands on access' to the tank, and it's pretty easy and light to lift off.

Nobbygas

Will do, tank and top are still 3/4 weeks away yet :(

I'm having it made in one piece for the aesthetics - but you could have it made in 2 or 3 to make removal easier
I like to keep the back clean, so I usually give it a scrub once a week. It's one of those 'Sunday jobs'! I need full access for that.
One piece is better I think.

Collo

I like a clean back too, I've read your tank build and about half way through Shaun's and saw you both opted for clean backs. My intention was a weekend job for cleaning so hopefully only need to remove once a week. Being made from polycarbonate it should be pretty robust and not too heavy. Do you use a scrapper? I used to use an old Costco card to scrape the back glass on my previous tank

Nobbygas

I like a clean back too, I've read your tank build and about half way through Shaun's and saw you both opted for clean backs. My intention was a weekend job for cleaning so hopefully only need to remove once a week. Being made from polycarbonate it should be pretty robust and not too heavy. Do you use a scrapper? I used to use an old Costco card to scrape the back glass on my previous tank
You'll need a longish scrapper to clean the back. While the top part is easy to reach, the bottom/middle part is a stretch. I doubt you'll be able to reach it with a card, as the light fixture may get in the way :)