Slowly bleaching favia - help!

Mattie H.

This favia has been in the tank for maybe a year. It's looked great until about a month ago, when it started to lose color. It's getting lighter and lighter, and now it's starting to recede at the edges. All other coral in the tank seems just fine. I've attached before and after pics. Any measures I can take to try to save this favia? Thanks in advance!
d4ea376fee24ff03a51dfdd278ac7e4b.jpg
a7cb8a308eb3c27cf9c436e42946eb04.jpg

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Mattie H.

Change power heads? Parameter changes? Water change frequency changes?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
None of the above. Everything is situation normal. The only thing I can think of is that one of the ATI bulbs started flickering about that time, then went out completely about a week ago. I have all new bulbs that should be in by Monday. Could thay have something to do with it? But how come none of the other corals are affected? And what can I do to save this colony?

Uncle99

If you replaced the light it may be more intense than the old one.

Turn it down by half and feed this coral daily.

DaveK

One important, but often overlooked factor is stray voltages in your tank. They can be caused by any bad electrical equipment in your tank. You can test it by using a meter to measure voltage from the tank to ground. If you see any, unplug each of the items in your tank until you find the offender. Then replace it.

Favia corals live in all kinds of light and water flow conditions, so you may need to move it around a bit. Consider trying a place where the light isn't as bright.

It may also help to feed the coral. You want extremely fine food for this. Some people siphon out a bucket of tank water, put the coral in there, and then feed it in the bucket for a few hours. Then return the coral to the display tank, and top up the tank. This lets the coral feed undisturbed, and you can feed heavy, since the water doesn't go back in the tank.

Check your water parameters, especially calcium, alkalinity, and pH. Even if they are ok, if may be worth a large partial water change. If the coral perks up, you may need to do more water changes.

Mattie H.

Thanks for the advice. I moved it lower in the tank. I already do regular water changes. Parameters are the same as they were when I introduced the favia a year ago. All good, except for nitrites which are 80. But my nitrites have always been real high, no matter how often I do water changes. Doesn't seem to affect the tank at all, other than I can't grow acros and some other sps.

It may also help to feed the coral. You want extremely fine food for this.

Would brs reef chili work? I broadcast feed with this stuff every once in a while.

DaveK

... All good, except for nitrites which are 80. But my nitrites have always been real high, no matter how often I do water changes. ...

Is this correct? I think you may mean nitrate, rather than nitrite, since a bad nitrite problem is really serious.

When you have a coral that is not doing well, and you feel it should be fed, it's best to remove it, put it in a small container with some tank water and target feed it. Broadcast feeding might be ok if everything is going good, but not where you have a problem

reef chili is as good as anything else to target feed with.

Mattie H.

Is this correct? I think you may mean nitrate, rather than nitrite, since a bad nitrite problem is really serious.

You are very correct. I mistyped.

When you have a coral that is not doing well, and you feel it should be fed, it's best to remove it, put it in a small container with some tank water and target feed it. Broadcast feeding might be ok if everything is going good, but not where you have a problem

reef chili is as good as anything else to target feed with.

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to do just that, and also place it in a part of the tank with less light.

Uncle99

Nitrate at 80ppm is too high
The effects will take time but that’s why it’s bleaching
S/b 2-5ppm for corals