HELP! MY BTA WENT MISSING

KeepReefing

Hi, I recently bought a bubble tip anemone for my 29 biocube. It settled on a rock but later I saw it almost all the way in the rock, so I move it again and it planted at the top. Its been in my tank for maybe 2 weeks but It moved again and now I cant find it. I checked everywhere including the filter in the back and the return pump, plus i looked everywhere on the rocks. Does anyone know where it could have gone? Thanks

DaveK

Anemones can really shrink small when they want to. Best thing to do is leave it alone, unless there is a specific problem. It could easily hide in almost any rock.

Check your skimmer for excessive skimmate. That's an indication that the anemone is dead or close to it. Also, you can test for ammonia. This will usually spike if your anemone is dead.

KeepReefing

Anemones can really shrink small when they want to. Best thing to do is leave it alone, unless there is a specific problem. It could easily hide in almost any rock.

Check your skimmer for excessive skimmate. That's an indication that the anemone is dead or close to it. Also, you can test for ammonia. This will usually spike if your anemone is dead.
Thanks, I checked my nitrates and nitrites and both were at around zero, so no problem there. I don't have a skimmer yet, but I will probably get one soon. But it has been missing for at least three days, and I don't want my tank to crash if it died. Do you think it is still alive?

DaveK

You really need to test ammonia first, since that is where the problem will be indicated first.

You can also look at the water. If it is cloudy, or had a lot of unusual surface bubbles, or smells bad, your anemone might be dead.

Anemones require high quality water, stable water conditions, and excellent light. This means you usually want to have the system running for about a year before you even consider an anemone. How long have you had your tank set up? What are you using for filtration and lighting? What other livestock do you have in the system?

KeepReefing

You really need to test ammonia first, since that is where the problem will be indicated first.

You can also look at the water. If it is cloudy, or had a lot of unusual surface bubbles, or smells bad, your anemone might be dead.

Anemones require high quality water, stable water conditions, and excellent light. This means you usually want to have the system running for about a year before you even consider an anemone. How long have you had your tank set up? What are you using for filtration and lighting? What other livestock do you have in the system?
I put the anemone in when the tank was probably 2 months old, which was a dumb decision, but I saw it at my lfs for 15 dollars. Filtration I have just the regular pad and a carbon pouch. I am planning to get some more stuff for filtration( Any Ideas?). I use the standard lights that came with the biocube. For livestock I have 2 ocellaris clowns and what I believe to be a leather coral( I don't know because I got it when I bought live rock from someone). Thanks