Artsy Fish

After loving my African cichlid tank for several years I gave it up due to a move from the east coat to west.

I am missing my tank and am wanting to tackle a reef tank. I have been doing a lot of research over the last couple of months and reading all the reef forums, talking with folks at my LFS and folks selling tanks on line; eBay, Craig's list, etc.

I have narrowed it down to an all in one medium size tank. Due to $$$ I am happy going with an older modeling really like the Red Sea 130, 130D and C130 models.

Again what I am reading is that nothing is perfect with any of these and upgrades are usually in order.

I have an opportunity to buy either a well kept Red Sea Max 130 with upgraded Tunze skimmer 9001, and Intank media baskets or a Red Sea 130D which needs a lot of clean up. Both have the original red Sea cabinets in good conditionEach seller is asking $400. firm.

Any thoughts on the best way to go that will give me option for upgrading equipment in the future.

Thank you!

chickenjohn

Go with the one with the tunze skimmer as you wont need to upgrade that, Tunze in my opinion are the best skimmers on the market, when I had fowlr tanks I had tunze on all of them, never missed a beat and pulled a lot of crap from the water

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
:rbwwelc:to RS ! start a tank thread and poct us some pics when you get your tank !

The RSM 130 was brought out in 2007 the RSM 130 D (deluxe) has quite a few nice options the original did not have... water lever window, the ability for the top to be fully opened, a surface skimmer, improved lights, and a skimmer that work okay if you keep the water level topped up and it has a skimmer cup gate the 130 didn't have... I would select the D model... and newer circulation pumps too...

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
unless.. you can find the C130 models, then that would be even better... :nessie:

tunze makes a nice skimmer... but I would not give up the other features just for it...

sidebar - when I upgraded from my RSM 130D to my RSM 250.... was 3 years old (came out in 2009 D model) and I sold it for $350 in great shape. If this helps...

Artsy Fish

:rbwwelc:to RS ! start a tank thread and poct us some pics when you get your tank !

The RSM 130 was brought out in 2007 the RSM 130 D (deluxe) has quite a few nice options the original did not have... water lever window, the ability for the top to be fully opened, a surface skimmer, improved lights, and a skimmer that work okay if you keep the water level topped up and it has a skimmer cup gate the 130 didn't have... I would select the D model... and newer circulation pumps too...

Thank you for your input. from the research I have done I am agreeing with you.

Artsy Fish

Go with the one with the tunze skimmer as you wont need to upgrade that, Tunze in my opinion are the best skimmers on the market, when I had fowlr tanks I had tunze on all of them, never missed a beat and pulled a lot of crap from the water
Thank you. I checked and I can buy a Tunze 9001 that will fit the 130D.

Artsy Fish

unless.. you can find the C130 models, then that would be even better... :nessie:

tunze makes a nice skimmer... but I would not give up the other features just for it...

sidebar - when I upgraded from my RSM 130D to my RSM 250.... was 3 years old (came out in 2009 D model) and I sold it for $350 in great shape. If this helps...

I really like these models with the rounded front glass and hoods. The 130D appeals to me because of the upgrades. Other than inTank media baskets, and Tunze skimmer that will fit, should I be concerned about other the availability of other parts or equipment not being available. Looks like there are replacement pumps available. Any other concerns..?

DaveK

Lots of good advice here.

The one thing I would caution you on is the size of the 130 models. It works out to about 34 gallons. This is a fairly small tank. Make sure your going to be content with that long term. Quite a few people started with one but later felt they needed to upgrade.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
can say... ^ this was the case for me :) wanted to see if I could have saltwater success & when I did, I wanted a bigger tank - RSM 250 66 gallons

Artsy Fish

can say... ^ this was the case for me :) wanted to see if I could have saltwater success & when I did, I wanted a bigger tank - RSM 250 66 gallons

Yes I know how that goes..but in this case I am limited for space and don't have a place for a larger tank. I have turned this over and over in my mind and this smaller tank is a good compromise.

I was able to purchase a new unused tank, Read Sea 130D and now am in search of the stand that was made for it. If anyone knows of anyone who has a Red Sea 130 or 130D cabinet/stand in good condition that they are not using, please let me know.

Once my tank is ready, I will begin a thread showing the build from the beginning.

Thanks All,

Anthony