RR's RSM S650

rustyreefer

When you get bored of this just get the NYOS Quantum 160, it fits it works and it’s silent.

I can’t believe Red Sea would sell something like that in their flagship tank that doesn’t fit. Even the C Skim from ‘soviet russia’ fitted were it was supposed to!
All they needed to do was just not add the dang tabs that hold the skimmer shelve that is no longer needed. I thought about trying to pop them off but scared I would break the glass on both side.
They need to update their materials. Even the user manual showed it in the skimmer slot. The picture I attached up top was something they had to send me via email.

emvanburen

All they needed to do was just not add the dang tabs that hold the skimmer shelve that is no longer needed. I thought about trying to pop them off but scared I would break the glass on both side.
They need to update their materials. Even the user manual showed it in the skimmer slot. The picture I attached up top was something they had to send me via email.
That’s the “oh crap it doesn’t fit - quick sketch something up” trick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pancho75

Good job with the skimmer location, as you said it the recommended location was waste of space. It is hard to believe Red Sea did not tuned either the skimmer or the the sump to incorporate the change.

rustyreefer

Good job with the skimmer location, as you said it the recommended location was waste of space. It is hard to believe Red Sea did not tuned either the skimmer or the the sump to incorporate the change.

I as glad I got it in. I really was planning on doing a fuge at some point in the future but that is down the path a bit.

rustyreefer

New Red Sea net came in yesterday and turned out really nice.

3fe31dc5ee95183d5a42e267427b4c08.jpg

8e2c7b5340a532a7c50b053c1b0cb221.jpg

Other news.
Ammonia at 1.2 still. Not sure why it isn’t dropping as I have not added any since the day I started the cycle.
Nitrite 1
Nitrate 10

The tank is also evaporating a good bit. Mainly in the sump area I am sure since that is where my heater is. Was running heater at 84 in sump to maintain 80 in tank. Changed that last night to 82 to see if that lands the tank at 78. Currently adding 5 gallons to the ATO every other day since I put the heater in.

We will see how this slight change helps but if you have suggestions I’ll take them!

Nobbygas

With my ATO I tend to need a refill every three or four days in the Winter and once a week in the Summer. I don't think there is much you can do apart from maybe fitting an Acrylic Lid instead of the mesh one. Water evaporates. It's a nature thing.

DaveK

The tank is also evaporating a good bit. Mainly in the sump area I am sure since that is where my heater is. ...

Evaporation from a reef system is a way of life, especially on a tank that is open top. You see the evaporation showing up in the sump because all the other areas will be maintained at a constant level due to the water circulation. My own tank can easily evaporate over a bucket of water a day in winter, about 2 1/2 gal.

You almost need an ATO to keep up with this. You might find the one that comes with the Red Sea system to be a bit small. If that is the case, I have found the Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155 to be an excellent product.

rustyreefer

With my ATO I tend to need a refill every three or four days in the Winter and once a week in the Summer. I don't think there is much you can do apart from maybe fitting an Acrylic Lid instead of the mesh one. Water evaporates. It's a nature thing.
I was kind of expecting 3 days but that was not based on much lol

rustyreefer

Evaporation from a reef system is a way of life, especially on a tank that is open top. You see the evaporation showing up in the sump because all the other areas will be maintained at a constant level due to the water circulation. My own tank can easily evaporate over a bucket of water a day in winter, about 2 1/2 gal.

You almost need an ATO to keep up with this. You might find the one that comes with the Red Sea system to be a bit small. If that is the case, I have found the Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155 to be an excellent product.
Definitely evaporates at a faster pace than my cichlid tank did. Thanks for the insight on the Tunze. I will keep that one in mind if the RSM one doesn't work out.

Nobbygas

Definitely evaporates at a faster pace than my cichlid tank did. Thanks for the insight on the Tunze. I will keep that one in mind if the RSM one doesn't work out.
I have had no problems with the Red Sea ATO. The only time I use my Tunze one is when I am away and I need to hook-up a bigger temporary ATO plastic tub thingy.

rustyreefer

I have had no problems with the Red Sea ATO. The only time I use my Tunze one is when I am away and I need to hook-up a bigger temporary ATO plastic tub thingy.
This is exactly what I was thinking. I do travel on occasion and for 3-4 days. Not sure I trust the wife to not spill water all over the place filling up the ATO on the RSM lol
Going to keep an eye on it, see how the temp change helps, if at all.. Will keep the thread posted on how things are working out.

SPR

I’ve got the Tunze Osmolator installed and it’s into a 90 litre water container under the power centre and will last around 2 weeks. I installed it for holidays and trips away. There’s a picture on my build thread.

The built in ATO now works as backup and I use it every year or so to drain out the water and put fresh in. So in theory with this I can go nearly 3 weeks without topping up.

As already said, the Tunze Osmolator is excellent and I would buy another without hesitation over anything else.

I’ve tried to make the system be automated as much as possible, when I need it to be, and Apex is a critical part of that and I wouldn’t ever be without it on any system of reasonable size and value. Yes it’s expensive, but for me personally it’s invaluable along with a HD camera for when your away

I haven’t however created a single point of failure with Apex, as critical systems like main pumps which should be on are not connected

rustyreefer

I never tried the Red Sea ato. Saw nothing but disaster in pouring water into that little port up high. Remote ato. You’ll never go back. Tunze or spectrapure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I thought the same thing when I first used it. But filled it up 4 times now and not one drop spilled [emoji3]

rustyreefer

I’ve got the Tunze Osmolator installed and it’s into a 90 litre water container under the power centre and will last around 2 weeks. I installed it for holidays and trips away. There’s a picture on my build thread.

The built in ATO now works as backup and I use it every year or so to drain out the water and put fresh in. So in theory with this I can go nearly 3 weeks without topping up.

As already said, the Tunze Osmolator is excellent and I would buy another without hesitation over anything else.

I’ve tried to make the system be automated as much as possible, when I need it to be, and Apex is a critical part of that and I wouldn’t ever be without it on any system of reasonable size and value. Yes it’s expensive, but for me personally it’s invaluable along with a HD camera for when your away

I haven’t however created a single point of failure with Apex, as critical systems like main pumps which should be on are not connected
I saw your setup when I went through your thread. I’m usually not gone more than 3 or 4 days but there are occasions I will need more than 10 gallons. Considering another, larger ATO but not in a rush at the moment since. I am ordering the Apex from my LFS. Taking a little longer than I’d like and I could have just ordered online but I like supporting the local guys as much as possible. I use amazon a lot too though [emoji53] Getting the Apex and Auto feeder to start. I sure wish they had an alkalinity probe!

SPR

I saw your setup when I went through your thread. I’m usually not gone more than 3 or 4 days but there are occasions I will need more than 10 gallons. Considering another, larger ATO but not in a rush at the moment since. I am ordering the Apex from my LFS. Taking a little longer than I’d like and I could have just ordered online but I like supporting the local guys as much as possible. I use amazon a lot too though [emoji53] Getting the Apex and Auto feeder to start. I sure wish they had an alkalinity probe!

The Apex auto feeder is good and works very well

And look up Apex Trident if you haven’t seen it yet. It’s still being developed and tested but looks good if it works

I also try and support the LFS’s but they are just so frustrating some times. I asked them if they could get me a 5kg bucket of rhowaphos (that I can get delivered next day) and it took 3 weeks! Some of them are just so behind the times.

rustyreefer

The Apex auto feeder is good and works very well

And look up Apex Trident if you haven’t seen it yet. It’s still being developed and tested but looks good if it works

I also try and support the LFS’s but they are just so frustrating some times. I asked them if they could get me a 5kg bucket of rhowaphos (that I can get delivered next day) and it took 3 weeks! Some of them are just so behind the times.
They do make it hard. I am still waiting since Monday to hear back on the apex. They are creating some of their own problems in some cases.

I will look the trident up! Thanks

Nobbygas

I thought the same thing when I first used it. But filled it up 4 times now and not one drop spilled [emoji3]

I just use a funnel attach to a 10 inch piece of green tubing. Pop that into the chamber, and pour away while stood on my Red Sea folding steps ! Never spilt a drop.

Nobbygas

For when I'm away, I have a 100 liter plastic container (from IKEA I believe) that I stand next to the tank, fill it up and then connect the Tunze from there up into the chamber you use to fill the ATO. So, with the 38 liters in the ATO that should last two weeks easy.