Canister filter instead of sump, yay or nay?

Canister filter or sump

• Sump

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Canister

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's more complicated than yea or no

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

DaveK

Generally a canister filter is not desirable on a SW system. This is because it tends to collect a lot of dirt, and if not cleaned often, it becomes a "nitrate factory". This doesn't mean you cann't use a canister filter, but if you do you do need to clean it often, at least once a week.

The other consideration of sump verses canister or other HOB filtration is that a sump is not very cost effective on a small tank, about 20 gal or less. Not that you can't use a sump on smaller tanks, but you'll end up spending more on the sump and related gear than you would on just getting the HOB items.

On a larger tank, a sump is by far preferred because you can add or connect a skimmer to it and you can get a lot of equipment out of the main tank.

As you can see by now, you need to look at the total system your creating. This kind of begs the questions, how large a system are you planning and what do you plan to keep in it?

Uncle99

Yes, a sump clearly out ways IMO.
I don't have a sump so things look like this
From the left:
ATO, Heater, filter and carbon HOB, Dosing, Feeder, Refugium, Skimmer.
Doesn't mean you can't manage without, depends on what your doing. I prefer everything with easy access.
image.jpeg

Elias

Generally a canister filter is not desirable on a SW system. This is because it tends to collect a lot of dirt, and if not cleaned often, it becomes a "nitrate factory". This doesn't mean you cann't use a canister filter, but if you do you do need to clean it often, at least once a week.

The other consideration of sump verses canister or other HOB filtration is that a sump is not very cost effective on a small tank, about 20 gal or less. Not that you can't use a sump on smaller tanks, but you'll end up spending more on the sump and related gear than you would on just getting the HOB items.

On a larger tank, a sump is by far preferred because you can add or connect a skimmer to it and you can get a lot of equipment out of the main tank.

As you can see by now, you need to look at the total system your creating. This kind of begs the questions, how large a system are you planning and what do you plan to keep in it?

450 liters or 125 gallons, the aquarium has no holes for the sump pipes and an overhang drain seems flimsy to me but also an option i would take over drilling. i also already own a 560 liters FW aquarium in witch i do have a canister filter that i clean weekly so that would not be a ploblem, and i considered having a hang on skimmer or 2 Tunze 9004 internal skimmer.

i plan on keeping corals and a few fish like fox faces or whatever they're called, and a big cleanup crew ofc.

Elias

Yes, a sump clearly out ways IMO.
I don't have a sump so things look like this
From the left:
ATO, Heater, filter and carbon HOB, Dosing, Feeder, Refugium, Skimmer.
Doesn't mean you can't manage without, depends on what your doing. I prefer everything with easy access.
View attachment 48922

Is that a wall seperating the items from the main tank or is everything hang on additions?

DaveK

450 liters or 125 gallons, the aquarium has no holes for the sump pipes and an overhang drain seems flimsy to me but also an option i would take over drilling. i also already own a 560 liters FW aquarium in witch i do have a canister filter that i clean weekly so that would not be a ploblem, and i considered having a hang on skimmer or 2 Tunze 9004 internal skimmer.

i plan on keeping corals and a few fish like fox faces or whatever they're called, and a big cleanup crew ofc.

In a tank that size, I'd highly recommend a sump. Yes, you are going to need some sort of overflow. Ideally, drill the tank to accommodate the overflow. If this is not possible use an overflow that uses round siphon tubes to go over the side of the tank. Round overflows don't tend to trap air.

You also want a large powerful skimmer to be in the sump, or connected externally to the sump. Hang on the tank skimmers, like the Tunze 9004, are really way too small for your tank. When you read manufacturer's information on a skimmer, you want to get one that is rated for about double the tank you plan to run it on, so you want a skimmer suitable for about a 950 l (250 gal tank). Here are a couple of examples of the sort of skimmers you want to be looking at. This are examples only, not necessarily the one you want to get.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/elit...-saver-cone-protein-skimmer-reef-octopus.html
http://royalexclusiv.com/Skimmer/Sk...King-200-VS13-with-RD-3-Mini-Speedy::773.html
When you get in to skimmers like this just about any brand will work just fine. The examples are just to give you some idea about what you want to get.

You will also need a return pump. I'd recommend one of the large DC controllable pumps since they consume a lot less power, and can be fine tuned. For example if you get one that produces too much flow, you can dial it down, rather than using a valve to control flow.

If you want a refugium, I prefer to see those done as a separate tank rather than made as part of the sump. This is because you usually want a much lower flow of water through the refugium, compared to the sump.

Elias

In a tank that size, I'd highly recommend a sump. Yes, you are going to need some sort of overflow. Ideally, drill the tank to accommodate the overflow. If this is not possible use an overflow that uses round siphon tubes to go over the side of the tank. Round overflows don't tend to trap air.

You also want a large powerful skimmer to be in the sump, or connected externally to the sump. Hang on the tank skimmers, like the Tunze 9004, are really way too small for your tank. When you read manufacturer's information on a skimmer, you want to get one that is rated for about double the tank you plan to run it on, so you want a skimmer suitable for about a 950 l (250 gal tank). Here are a couple of examples of the sort of skimmers you want to be looking at. This are examples only, not necessarily the one you want to get.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/elit...-saver-cone-protein-skimmer-reef-octopus.html
http://royalexclusiv.com/Skimmer/Sk...King-200-VS13-with-RD-3-Mini-Speedy::773.html
When you get in to skimmers like this just about any brand will work just fine. The examples are just to give you some idea about what you want to get.

You will also need a return pump. I'd recommend one of the large DC controllable pumps since they consume a lot less power, and can be fine tuned. For example if you get one that produces too much flow, you can dial it down, rather than using a valve to control flow.

If you want a refugium, I prefer to see those done as a separate tank rather than made as part of the sump. This is because you usually want a much lower flow of water through the refugium, compared to the sump.

I will be upgrading to two tunze 9012 witch are rated for around 400 liters each, drilling a hole is not an option since the glass is tempered and will shatter. the Tunze 9012 is rated between 200 liters at a very heavy load and 1200 at very low load, i don't intend to go crazy so ill go with two and hope for the best.

DaveK

I will be upgrading to two tunze 9012 witch are rated for around 400 liters each, drilling a hole is not an option since the glass is tempered and will shatter. the Tunze 9012 is rated between 200 liters at a very heavy load and 1200 at very low load, i don't intend to go crazy so ill go with two and hope for the best.

Check your tank. Often only the bottom is tempered glass, and you can drill the sides. However if it is tempered, you'll still be ok with an overflow.

Your original post mentioned the Tunze 9004, which is far too small. Your most recent post mentions the Tunze 9012 which should so ok for you.

All this being said, I'd still recommend a sump and a large powerful skimmer in the sump.

If your going to go with a hang on the tank skimmer, I highly recommend an auto top off system (ATO). Water level is critical to skimmer operation, and if it changes very much, you will not get very good results out of your skimmer.

Elias

Check your tank. Often only the bottom is tempered glass, and you can drill the sides. However if it is tempered, you'll still be ok with an overflow.

Your original post mentioned the Tunze 9004, which is far too small. Your most recent post mentions the Tunze 9012 which should so ok for you.

All this being said, I'd still recommend a sump and a large powerful skimmer in the sump.

If your going to go with a hang on the tank skimmer, I highly recommend an auto top off system (ATO). Water level is critical to skimmer operation, and if it changes very much, you will not get very good results out of your skimmer.

Already thought of that, ill be using the Tunze osmolator 3155 it not only has a mechanical sensor to measure water level but also an electric sensor witch is a first i hear, and the tunze 9004 was another model i was looking at some time ago, currently i'm looking at the tunze 9012 and is no longer considering the tunze 9004.

https://shop.foretagsakvarium.se/product/tunze-9012-dc
https://shop.foretagsakvarium.se/product/tunze-osmolator-3155

Uncle99

Is that a wall seperating the items from the main tank or is everything hang on additions?

All hang on, everything controlled by cell phone, while I don't use sumps, there is a two inch gap of open water under 3" screened sand bed, which is under another 3" screened sand bed. I pull water from the bottom causing the water to "fall through" the DSB. I have the best results with this adaptation, been that way more than 25 years, although I do a rebuild, every 5 years.

Using Coral Box A-100 for ATO, infra-red main sensor, float back up, two years now, worked flawlessly.

The sump is the best way, no doubt.