My Red Sea Max 250

SysQ

Hey everyone, been part of the forum since 2009, always see good tips and info on here.

I have a RSM 250, with Steve’s LEDs upgrade, Deltec MC500 skimmer and a media rack running purigen and 2 chemi-pure elite bags.

Wondering what other people run in terms of filter media? What I run seems popular among members here. Really getting back into the hobby recently and excited to make some new additions to my tank.

210aa0767c3553b24fc4c7fa9e845ae1.jpg
467034ba021cb726d27fd92a45608d69.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is very similar. I went with the Reef Breeders Led light, and my media basket is filter floss, phosphate pad, Purigen and one Chemi Pure Elite. I don't have many fish, and every month I alternate between changing the Purigen or the Chemi Pure. How old is your Powder Blue Tang? I have not had any luck with those in my 250.

DaveK

What your doing with your filter media sounds fine. I'd only change to something else if your having a specific issue you want to address. For example, you might want to add GFO if you have a phosphate problem.

DaveK

... How old is your Powder Blue Tang? I have not had any luck with those in my 250.

I can't speak for @SysQ, but my own Powder Blue tang has been in my system about 3 or 4 years now. My system is 125 gal though. It's asking a lot of an RSM 250 to try to keep a tang in it, as them minimum tank requirement for a powder blue tang is usually about twice that size. However, powder blue tangs have some additional things to look out for.

Powder blue tangs are notorious "ich magnets" and easily pick up that disease, and opther diseases. Also, many arrive at your LFS in very poor shape. The fish doesn't ship as well as some other tangs. They don't seem to adjust to tank live as well as some of the other tangs. As usual you want a healthy fish that's eating well. Like most tangs they should have a lot of algae in their diet. Once you get past the initial acclimation a powder blue tang should do well.

If your going to try the fish again, I recommend you look for a small one, but not too small. Of course, getting that 1000 gal tank you always wanted, isn't going to hurt (grin).