RSM Max 250 skimmer or media basket?

Wmacintosh

As the title suggests should I upgrade my skimmer first or would you say the media basket to add more media. New tank built, finished my cycle and currently have 2 fish. Not sure which I should do first since I found a skimmer for the price of the basket with shipping. Any help is appreciated!

Reactions: SPR

DaveK

Best thing to do here is don't add any mew media to the system, unless you need it to do something specific. For example, if the water looks off color or smells bad you might want to use carbon or purigen. If it's high in phosphates you might want to use GFO. Only get when you need.

Reactions: SPR

Wmacintosh

Phosphates is the foreseen problem. They’re a bit higher than I’d want. Just wasn’t sure if fiddling with the stock skimmer for a while was better or relying on some more chem filtration.

Wmacintosh

What skimmer upgrade fits in / works with Red Sea Max 250
There are multiple ones that fit. Deltec, tunes, aquamaxx the list goes on. There are multiple threads on here with suggestions. I don’t keep the rear cover on anyway so that allows even more options vs finding something that allows the cover to close.