New Noisy Red Sea Max S-400

Princess Hockey

Since I'm a little green to the hobby, I had my LFS set up my new Red Sea Max S-400 today.

It's up and running and really seems awfully noisy, without the protein skimmer even on. Turning that on just makes the system even louder...so loud that I can't really have a phone conversation in the room. I got an app on my phone to measure the volume, (dB Meter) and it says its giving off about 53-55 decibels with the cabinet closed. Cabinet open, no protein skimmer, 62 decibels. (Turning skimmer on, bumps those to 58 closed / 67 open). I'm not super concerned about the skimmer since I've seen some posts talking about replacing it...even the guys installing it said it was pretty huge for the size of the tank.

I believe the primary source of the sound is the return pump. Moving it around in the sump only lowers the noise a hair (when I hold it so that it's not touching the bottom or sides at all)

Anyone else with this tank (or any of the S series) that could tell me how much sound theirs is emitting so I can get an idea of whats normal? I'm planning a visit to my LFS where they have one set up (although they've made some changes) so I can get an idea if theirs is giving off as much sound as mine. I've never had a tank this large before or a sump on a tank so I'm not sure what level of noise is considered normal, but its certainly not what I would call "whisper quiet" by any stretch of the imagination.

Nothing to look at yet, but I threw a picture up just for kicks. Tank itself is beautiful. (Window does not get direct sun)
fbo1w2.jpg

Pancho75

Hello, Red Sea Max are really nice tanks, congratulations!

Welcome to Reef Sanctuary!!!

Are you sure the noise is not coming due to lack of adjustment in the rear valve that regulates the down flow to the sump? That valve is very sensitive and you have to go little by little until you eliminate the noise. The tank can be very noisy if the valve is incorrectly adjusted to either side (too tight or too loose).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SPR

The C Skim protein skimmer is noisy, it’s renowned for it, and although it works well, most of us eventually change it for various reasons including noise reduction

Myself and @Nobbygas have the NYOS Quantum 160 (he likes to copy me!! Lol) and it’s silent and much more effective.

The down valve just regulates the water flow and potential water noises (gurgling) but I assume your talking amount ‘huming’ from the pumps. I assume you have the return pump sat in the black foam cushion that it comes with ? Just checking if the LFS built it.

And welcome to Reef Sanctuary!

If you want to move the thread to the Red Sea forum then ask @nanoreefing4fun

Princess Hockey

Thanks for the replies, both of you! So it was indeed a twofold issue...I haven't finished solving it yet. Adjusting the water flow helped some, it was definitely coming down a bit too strong...we played with it and that lowered the volume a little. Then I started messing with the pump and I believe most of the sound must be because it is vibrating against the glass in the chamber it is in. There was no black foam cushion under it. My husband recalls hearing the guys talking about removing it because it was elevating the pump too high out of the water.

They must have taken it with them. Seems like what I need is some way of keeping the pump away from the sides of the glass and off of the bottom...so some sort of cushion.

Pancho75

Thanks for the replies, both of you! So it was indeed a twofold issue...I haven't finished solving it yet. Adjusting the water flow helped some, it was definitely coming down a bit too strong...we played with it and that lowered the volume a little. Then I started messing with the pump and I believe most of the sound must be because it is vibrating against the glass in the chamber it is in. There was no black foam cushion under it. My husband recalls hearing the guys talking about removing it because it was elevating the pump too high out of the water.

They must have taken it with them. Seems like what I need is some way of keeping the pump away from the sides of the glass and off of the bottom...so some sort of cushion.
Good to hear it is working better, the foam is needed to avoid noise, I also tossed it away when I assembled mine and had to order a new one LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Princess Hockey

Turns out I'm missing a few more parts than just the sponge cradle under the pump. It's also missing a downspout so when it sucks water it sometimes creates a whirlpool to give it some extra volume. And we also learned that the ATO isn't hooked up yet...time to go call my LFS and get them back out here to finish the job :)

On the plus side, I'm learning a lot! :)

btErGF.jpg

SPR

Turns out I'm missing a few more parts than just the sponge cradle under the pump. It's also missing a downspout so when it sucks water it sometimes creates a whirlpool to give it some extra volume. And we also learned that the ATO isn't hooked up yet...time to go call my LFS and get them back out here to finish the job :)

On the plus side, I'm learning a lot! :)

btErGF.jpg
The foam cushion will reduce the vibration/resonance a lot which is why the pump sits in it and it will also keep it off the glass sides. This is probably the main cause of the noise issue.

Princess Hockey

Missing the ATO is quite a big error on their part. You seem to be taking their mistakes quite well. As long as they rectify it all that's the important thing. Good luck with your new tank :)
Oh yeah, I'm just glad I didn't try to fill the ATO reservoir before noticing that!! I'm giving them plenty of time to get it all straightened out, the owner has been good about answering my texts so I'm assuming they'll make it all right in the end. If not, I get pretty noisy on review sites until I'm taken care of :)

Today I decided I didn't like my rockscape so I redid it completely. Waiting for the water to clear so I can see how I did... :D

Nobbygas

I actually find that the Circulation Pumps make more noise than the Return Pump. You have to 'tweak' them a little bit to find the spot where they don't cause vibration. You also have to be careful with additional pumps that you may add. For example, I have an Eheim 1000 pump that feeds the Chiller, and sometimes if this is not sitting right in the Sump it can cause vibration noise.

Nobbygas

The C Skim protein skimmer is noisy, it’s renowned for it, and although it works well, most of us eventually change it for various reasons including noise reduction

Myself and @Nobbygas have the NYOS Quantum 160 (he likes to copy me!! Lol) and it’s silent and much more effective.

The down valve just regulates the water flow and potential water noises (gurgling) but I assume your talking amount ‘huming’ from the pumps. I assume you have the return pump sat in the black foam cushion that it comes with ? Just checking if the LFS built it.

And welcome to Reef Sanctuary!

If you want to move the thread to the Red Sea forum then ask @nanoreefing4fun
I have to correct this obvious mistruth from Shaun. I do not copy him. There is no way you would find me walking around in Platform Boots, Flared Trousers and a Starsky & Hutch style chunky woolen Cardigan....oh no.

Ragsna2105

Hi. I started in April 2018 with a Red Sea Max S-500 LED. I also thought that the return pump is very loud for our living room. Therefore I replaced the pump with a Royal Exclusiv pump (http://royalexclusiv.net/en/flow-de...-r-3-speedy-80-watt-8-0m-plug-connection.html). This pump is now feeding my chiller and the aquarium. The difference is amazing. Good luck with your tank.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

SPR

Hi. I started in April 2018 with a Red Sea Max S-500 LED. I also thought that the return pump is very loud for our living room. Therefore I replaced the pump with a Royal Exclusiv pump (http://royalexclusiv.net/en/flow-de...-r-3-speedy-80-watt-8-0m-plug-connection.html). This pump is now feeding my chiller and the aquarium. The difference is amazing. Good luck with your tank.

I’ve heard these pumps are very good. Is it really quiet and did you have to use some form of adapter to screw it into the return hose, or did it come with the correct size union connector?

Ragsna2105

I do not hear the return pump at all. I hear the water falling down in the filter bags, but I‘m working also on this topic. The pump is not fitting into the connectiion from the aquarium. I bought the following item - silicon anti vibration tube (http://royalexclusiv.net/en/accesso...tion-rd1-8-10m-vs08-rd3-speedy-65-75-80w.html). The fitting red is connected to the pressure side of the pump. To connect to the aquarium tube I made a connecter out of PVC-U. I added two pictures from the sump and the connection.
f13b16bf6df94d680ded72e8d7eab7e7.jpg
17e25423b5af2edafb56ff3985def3d9.png

SPR

I do not hear the return pump at all. I hear the water falling down in the filter bags, but I‘m working also on this topic. The pump is not fitting into the connectiion from the aquarium. I bought the following item - silicon anti vibration tube (http://royalexclusiv.net/en/accesso...tion-rd1-8-10m-vs08-rd3-speedy-65-75-80w.html). The fitting red is connected to the pressure side of the pump. To connect to the aquarium tube I made a connecter out of PVC-U. I added two pictures from the sump and the connection.
f13b16bf6df94d680ded72e8d7eab7e7.jpg
17e25423b5af2edafb56ff3985def3d9.png

Thanks for that and taking the time to do the pictures that’s very helpful for us.

I’ll have a look into that as I’ve heard many good reviews of these pumps etc.