RSM s650 T5 Lighting-Anyone using or used them?

Hi everyone,

Firstly im back after a couple of years away, and jumped from a d130 to an s650.

Just wanted to get some opinions about lighting, as I am at a junction!

I have a Red Sea Max s650, I don’t do expert level corals or anything, beginner to novice hardy stuff is what I am interested in keeping. Advanced corals etc although beautiful are perhaps too time consuming and delicate for the amount of time I can dedicate to the hobby.

I basically want lights that can keep up with the demands of easy to moderate corals, SPS/LPS, and will bring out the color in all life in the tank including fish!

I have currently have LEDs overhanging the tank, they are called ‘Intelligent LED’. They work according to the human eye at least, they light up, but I’m worried that over time the spectrum or wavelength of light may have deteriorated in these LED lights, they are at least a few years old, im worried they fade over time, even though visually to us they appear turned on and working. Not like you can change a bulb as in the MH or T5's.

I have the existing Red Sea S650 lights, they have fluorescent tubes, T5, actinic, blue, pink and moonlight. I hear they use more electricity (they are 800 Watts) but, if you replace the bulbs every 12 months it’s like owning a new light again. I personally have NEVER used them, I bought the tank from the previous owner who was using the LEDs so I just went with them.

So before I shell out $1,000-$2,000 on a new light system I was looking for everyone’s input...probably an age old battered question

Anyone else using these older Red Sea T5 lights out there or had LEDs and find they are back to T5’s?
How do these older RSM T5 fixtures compare to modern day lights? (They seem a quality build, do I really need to upgrade?)
Will I be ok with getting ATI bulbs for the RSM light fixture?

I do have a chiller btw to cope with the heat, and the house has central air too! Never gets hot!

Sorry for all the questions, I am trying to give this s650 a new lease of life and chapter, and I have been out of the game almost ten years.

Nobbygas

I have an LED S-650. I have never used the T5 lighting, so I'm only having a ponder here.
Obviously Red Sea moved away from the T5's to LED's for a reason, and I think it was because that was what their customer's demanded. So, why was that? The T5's need replacing every ten months or so, and there is a cost to this. The LED's have a (claimed) much longer lifespan. Plus, the T5's use far more energy (electricity) than the LED's. Also, with the LED's you have more control, especially with things like the ramp up/down, which does give a much better impression and is more natural.
The LED's also give a better 'shimmer' effect, which is something that is totally natural and what you would find on a natural reef anywhere in the world.
So, when you add up the running costs, the flexability and the look that LED's give, then maybe you can see why LED's have become more and more popular.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your adventure :)

SPR

Welcome back!

I’ve only ever used LED’s as well in my S 650, and the corals thrive, and I guess Red Sea with their research wouldn’t have risked changing to them if they thought there may be issues.

The current S 650 has Hydra 26 x 4 LED lights which are very powerful

Hi,
Thanks for the replies. Does anyone think that they came out with LEDs to keep with where reefkeeping was going 3 years ago, everyone switching from MH/T5 to LED? 1, because that’s where the market was moving and 2, to reduce energy costs and appear more efficient?

I’m noticing people are starting to move back to T5 again, or a T5 LED hybrid

The problem with LEDs are that while they are way more efficient, 1 year or 3 years later etc that $1200+ light is not providing the same wavelength or spectrum that it did out of the box when new. At least with T5 you replace the bulb and it’s like having a new light again, granted with a $200 cost.

I am finding this out right now with my LEDs. While they appear to be working to the naked eye something is clearly wrong with them and I just don’t believe they are the same light they were out of the box 3 years ago

That’s my dilemma!

Nobbygas

In my opinion, we (I'll use the Royal 'we' here) don't really understand the LED output, nor the lighting requirements of the corals. For example, I have the Hydra 26HD's supplied by Red Sea (manufactured by D&D). I have searched through God knows how many forums etc looking for examples of settings. There are just so many settings out there, with huge differences in their individual settings, but even with these huge differences you see many many fine tanks with good coral growth! Just look at what many consider to be the two market leaders for the HD26 settings, Red Sea and D&D. Red Sea say set Green and Red to zero to stop unwanted algae growth, yet the recommended D&D settings have Red & Green set at about 10%. That is just a very small example. It just appears to me that the different colour settings on LED's is overthought a bit. Many people still swear by Metal Halides, and basically these just pumped out bright light ! When we mess about with UV, Deep Red, Violet light colour spectrum stuff etc, are we just tinkering around and not really understanding what we are doing?.....or is that just me?

If your LED's appear to be not strong enough, then just up the power outtage on them.

Reactions: SPR
I still cant believe there is no feedback from anyone using the Red Sea Max S series T5's.
I just want to know is the RSM original T5 fixture that came with the s650's is any good? I mean they are made in Germany, are they good or should I get an ATI fixture.....I will be using ATI new bulbs with the RSM fixture.

I was going to supplement this T5 with LED strip such as ReefBrite to add the LED aspect.

As for my old Chinese Intelligent LED lighting, I have each on 100% with step up and step down.

Nobbygas

I don't think there are many people using the old T5's. The cost alone doesn't add up. Replacing the bulbs, at say $200 a go every ten months would cost you $1800 over a five-year period....and you would still not have the flexibility, available light spectrum nor controlability of an LED unit. Plus, the LED units do look sleeker and nicer.
There is also the running costs of the electricity for the T5's.

I think the T5's are probably ok to run. There were many many people who had good tanks running them, but times have moved on.

I've got a Geismannn Reflexx Nano Metal Halide light unit that I just cannot shift on eBay. It's a fantastic unit, and perfect for a Nano or Frag tank, but nobody wants it anymore. They'd rather get a cheaper LED unit.

DaveK

You already have LED lighting. Overall, I'd consider that superior to T5 lighting in most cases. Also, LEDs don't shift spectrum very much over their life. If the come on OK, you can use them.

You also do not plan on keeping any difficult corals. The easy to keep corals are not att fussy about lighting as long as you have enough.

I'd say stick with what you have as long as it works. Save your money. Your interests may change and lighting is always improving. You can always upgrade later, and lighting is one of the easier upgrades to make.

Last edited:
Reactions: SPR

ajkdark

I have the S500. It is 4 and 1/2 years old.
I used the T5’s for 3 years. Excellent results.
Eventually I went to the Hydra 26’s, great results too.
I decided to go to the LED’s, to see if I would be happy with them.
Advantage is heat reduction and 1/2 the power consumption.
However, if I was you. Seeing as you have the T5’s, I’d use them. As the results are brilliant.
Give it a go.

ajkdark

I have the S500. It is 4 and 1/2 years old.
I used the T5’s for 3 years. Excellent results.
Eventually I went to the Hydra 26’s, great results too.
I decided to go to the LED’s, to see if I would be happy with them.
Advantage is heat reduction and 1/2 the power consumption.
However, if I was you. Seeing as you have the T5’s, I’d use them. As the results are brilliant.
Give it a go.
Also, the Red Sea T5 fixture is made by ATI :))