Scott’s new (to me) RSM 130

speaste

Hi all,

Thought I’d try to cover my new (very used) to me RSM 130. I’m not sure what year this one was from. I picked it up cheap off craigslist.

The stand was pretty much shot from rotting wood and such which was fine cause missus hated the look anyway. I built a new stand from scratch. Didn’t think to document it....didn’t know I was going to do this :) here’s the stand I built with the tank on it.

c49413a0a5ddf710e7ca58b23255f5d1.heic

b83d7d201b7f274c96cc876487a75d3d.heic

3747b313873b382e95fe3476aea66961.heic

I ordered the Steve’s LEDs retrofit kit because the guy I bought the unit from had trashed the hood retrofitting some bargain LEDs. So plan is to replace lights with the kit from Steve’s and a hurricane controller.

I’m planning to start with the stock skimmer since I had replaced the pump on it with a new one and see how it goes.

I’ve replaced the 2 return pumps with the RSM upgrade kit.

My concern is that I really need a rack I think to use for holding chemicals however not sure I want to replace skimmer....wondering if I can figure out a way to make a rack that’ll fit with the return pump and I’d just have to remove return pump to pull rack. Otherwise I’m thinking my other option is to stuff media bags before slimmer pump? Open to ideas.

Is there any issue starting to Aquascape while waiting for lighting? I was thinking I want to use dry rock and build before filling with water. Then maybe add some live rock from LFS let it cycle while I wait for light kit?

Any thoughts on this? Looking forward to this little project! Thanks in advance guys and gals!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

speaste

So I picked up some dry rock, few pieces of live rock and some live sand today. First attempt and aquascaping this guy. Loaded with water (salt) waiting for things to settle so I can add the live rock and then I’ll add the live sand after checking sg I guess.

9ab023341b084ab1b32c6230200c2873.heic

44e11b8ea803a76f56b8be3c6b7e1856.heic

c9951734a7f1f886491776f32e1a3d39.heic

762dbd439a2b3fd785091c64cfd1d39a.heic

7738bde817f089591daec3ba1fb27971.heic

193a3ced48ed9987739b633613185e45.heic

Pancho75

Good to see your tank! we can see you are doing really good efforts. We love pics, please let us see your progress, congratulations!!!

In my particular case, I also started with dry rock and later added one live rock. I did it to avoid hitchhikers as much as I could.

saintsreturn

The stand looks great! Thank you for sharing and keep us posted on your progress!

Two quick thoughts. 1) your scaping looks great! I would bring it in a little from the sides to allow a scraper to pass between them and the glass. 2) if you havent already, coat the stand inside to avoid moisture rotting and salt creep from sticking. I would use something with a smooth finish so you can wipe it with a paper towel as needed. My stand has a rough paint job (marineland) and its a PITA to keep clean.

Looking great so far!

speaste

Thanks for the kind comments guys!

Yes, I’ll move the rocks in a bit to allow easier cleaning access. I was thinking same thing.

As far as painting, the top has 4 coats of oil based semi poly so that’s sealed up good. The rest of the stand is actually “chalk painted” this is one of those trendy things (spouse) that gives it that certain farmhouse look. After the paint is applied it’s coated with a wax that cures after a month. It’s not water proof but is resistant. I’m not sure if I can cover that with anything I’ll have to research.

Once I move the rocks around a bit today and adjust sg, I’ll add the live sand. Lights should arrive tomorrow I believe!

speaste

Still waiting on the lights got delayed by postal service by a day....hopefully arrive today. I’ve started “feeding” the empty tank to encourage cycling. Monitoring ammonia levels.

I’ve also moved the rocks around a bit. Not quite happy with them yet.

Question for y’all do you keep water level just at the rim? Or do you leave a gap. Planning to add an ato and trying to decide where I want water level.

speaste

Something showed up in the mail today from Steve’s LEDs! The postal service was not kind to the box for sure. :( hopefully all goes well with it. I unboxed and nothing obvious re damage. It’s insured so if something is wrong I’ve got evidence. I’ll assemble the hood either this evening or tomorrow.

9baa166e8f3fe6c2ca88541310b051eb.jpg

d6da17987bd35a48370d29edc8decded.heic

58be877276a484daf0282da9969e9513.heic

4cf15d52214ca36caf2e0e6fe1a391b1.heic

6e04e74ccc257666b9a58349235b7eb7.heic

Pancho75

LEDs Installed in hood and configured. Everything working well...no apparent damage!! Running at 30% per the instructions. Rock is rescaped AGAIN.

3d4813e6074019577a84c80c1fb863c1.heic

I don’t like all the micro bubbles. Maybe from skimmer or black sponge filter?

Good to know your lights are ok! it looks good!

speaste

So I’m currently battling the skimmer. I’ve read a bunch of thread about the issue I’m having but have not yet solved. I’m having micro bubbles coming from the skimmer. If skimmer is on, I get bubbles. If it’s off, I do not.

I first tried cleaning skimmer with vinegar water solution as that was one suggestion. Still have the bubbles. I added some floss to the heater section on the sump since I’ll not be needing a heater here in south Texas anyway, but still micro bubbles.

Can someone running stock skimmer in the 130 clue me in on how to get rid of these micro bubbles?

In the meantime, I’ve completed the cycle of my tank and have the brown algae. I’ve done several water changes but I need to do more to get those nitrates down. I’m about to get drastic and do 50-60% change I’m thinking as I’ve only got a few clean up crew friends (snails and hermits) in there and they don’t like the nitrates.

Let me know if I’m off track?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I had a RSM 130D - you have the original RSM 130, so it's a bit different... that said micro bubbles... are usually associated in these tanks with water level, you want it as high as possible and top off at least every other day.

Hope this helps...