1 durso noisy

Susanedw

Just got my sump/tank going. 125g with dual overflows, 1 durso each overflow and 1 return each. The right side, with the longest travel is quiet and barely bubbling in the sump. The left is like an overactive burbling machine. Lots of bubbles and flow and noisy. I suspect the right side is correct as it is a more gentle flow. The left side is a drain on steroids How do I quiet it/calm it.

I have the return pump at around 35-45 % power. The tops of the dursos are approx same heighth in overflows, the two holes in sides of top below water
20180212_001829-jpg.673445

20180212_001905-jpg.673446

ssagar

Try regulating the air flow through the hole at the top of Dorso IMO the correct balance Between water and air flow will make it quieter.

DaveK

Yea, the correct air to water ratio is critical to keeping the durso standpipes quiet, or at lease less noisy.

Check both of them to make sure that nothing is blocked. Salt creep can really clog the air intakes. Also check both durso's to make sure that are at exactly the same level. If one is just slightly lower, it can pick up more water than the other, causing your problem.

Susanedw

thanks. The dursos are brand new--just got water in yesterday. Do I need more air or less air. Tried to put in a airline--really hard to fit and didn't see any difference. Will try again today.
I'll play with the levels today--raise and lower. They both look the same.

DaveK

... Do I need more air or less air. ...

That is really hard to say, since both conditions can cause problems. What you do is start by going with less air, and if that doesn't work go the other way and add more air.

Susanedw

Got the flow evened out by raising one, lowering the other. Will try adjusting air. Can't add more as hole is only so big

thanks for all help

Susanedw

How to you know how much flow from dc pump? If I turn it up too much, the noise is worst. AT 40-45% is less chaotic than 60-75 %

DaveK

Glad you got the flow through the Durso's adjusted. It's amazing how many little tricks you pick up about this stuff as you in the hobby.

On the DC pump noise. DC pumps should be close to silent. If yours isn't, you need to find the source of the noise. Sometimes a part like the shaft or impeller in broken or damages. There may also be some dirt, algae, or other material inside the pump.

The other area of noise can be from the pump sitting on the bottom of the sump, and the sump acting like a sound board, amplifying the sound. In this case you may be able to solve the problem by putting a piece of dense foam under the pump, or by mounting the pump by suspending it in the sump, so it's not touching the sump.

Susanedw

thanks @DaveK Pump is totally silent. I was talking about drain noise. If I turn the pump on higher, like 60-70 % the drains get more chaotic and burbly. I don't want too little flow from the return so how do you know what is right?