Is this a good acclimation box?

Oxylebius

There are so many on the market that any one of them is probably gonna work well. Mine is also made by Sea Side, but it is just one of those squares/slots. Do you need four slots?

One thing to keep in mind is the hanging bracket. There are different types made. For this particular one it doesn't work well on the older red sea tanks as the bracket isn't deep enough to fit on the tank and around the lip on the inside of the tank. Since there is a pin holding the bracket to the unit I replaced it and I used a different sized bracket

What I like about this brand is that the unit breaks down into separate flat pieces for easier storage when not in use. There are 'O' rings that hold it together, which make it is to assemble and break it down after use.

Pat24601

There are so many on the market that any one of them is probably gonna work well. Mine is also made by Sea Side, but it is just one of those squares/slots. Do you need four slots?

One thing to keep in mind is the hanging bracket. There are different types made. For this particular one it doesn't work well on the older red sea tanks as the bracket isn't deep enough to fit on the tank and around the lip on the inside of the tank. Since there is a pin holding the bracket to the unit I replaced it and I used a different sized bracket

What I like about this brand is that the unit breaks down into separate flat pieces for easier storage when not in use. There are 'O' rings that hold it together, which make it is to assemble and break it down after use.

Awesome! Yes, I’ll get just the 1 slot. Cheaper anyway. :)

Susanedw

isn't the point of the acclimation box so all fish can see one another? Unless you found an acrylic plastic bucket or tub

Frankie

RS STAFF
Or, if you like spending money on cool looking stuff just go with your original plan.
I do it all the time ;) makes the experience more fun. As time gos by you will learn to cheap down.

(I like the hamster ball idea!)

Pat24601

Or, if you like spending money on cool looking stuff just go with your original plan.
I do it all the time ;) makes the experience more fun. As time gos by you will learn to cheap down.

(I like the hamster ball idea!)

I’ve been doing my fair share of that recently...but don’t even get me started.

The conversation starts with how many tanks I have up and how many I bought and haven’t put up yet. Trust me, you don’t want to know... (Both fresh and saltwater.)

Susanedw

lol's @Pat24601 I think I'm bad with 4 at the moment--2 qt's, display and refugium. Number 5 is in the works. But in all fairness, the 10 gal qt will be taken down when the anemone either survives and thrives or doesn't, and the 20 gal hex will also come down to be replaced by the refugium soon to be a qt tank. I'll still end up with 4 as my dau is going to give me her RS 130 to use as a qt tank

Pat24601

Haha, it is definitely an addicting hobby. I have 6 tanks, not all in use at the moment ;)

Cool! How many are in use?

I’ve started to think I like having more tanks so I can do different things with them. FOWLR, coral, planted tank freshwater, kids freshwater, etc.

I’m also trying to keep them smaller and thus much lower maintenance (and easier to tear down if I can’t keep up with them). So far, I’m kinda surprised how little maintenance I can get by with on some of these tanks (especially freshwater).

Pat24601

lol's @Pat24601 I think I'm bad with 4 at the moment--2 qt's, display and refugium. Number 5 is in the works. But in all fairness, the 10 gal qt will be taken down when the anemone either survives and thrives or doesn't, and the 20 gal hex will also come down to be replaced by the refugium soon to be a qt tank. I'll still end up with 4 as my dau is going to give me her RS 130 to use as a qt tank

Like you, I defintely have a couple tanks up that are really feeders into other tanks. For example, I don’t really like thrown together QT tanks, so I have a fully cycled nano set up that I monitor and treat fish before they go into my DT. But, I kind of like the nano all on its own. :). Someone dropping by the house wouldn’t realize it’s a QT.

Pat24601

Yeah, my qt looks like a regular tank with sand and plastic flowers. Even a "condo" decoration for certain fish that I add or take out as needed. hate pvc pipe

Same here. No PVC pipe!

It took me an extremely long time to figure out how to set up a good QT. For whatever reasons, the vast majority of articles I had read on the topic for years talked about getting some small cheap, crappy tank that hasn't been cycled, has little to no filtration system with maybe an airstone and then keeping a stressed out fish in it hoping you can keep it alive by monitoring water and doing water changes possibly while you medicate it.

That always struck me as a terrible idea. It's basically asking to make your fish sicker rather than healthier.

For years, I thought about setting up a second nano to use as a QT and then one day I finally did. It works great. I keep it cycled even when I don't have fish in it and when there aren't fish in it its extremely low maintenance.

As a side benefit to actually being a healthy environment for an incoming fish, it also looks nice. :)

Oxylebius

Cool! How many are in use?

I’ve started to think I like having more tanks so I can do different things with them. FOWLR, coral, planted tank freshwater, kids freshwater, etc.

I’m also trying to keep them smaller and thus much lower maintenance (and easier to tear down if I can’t keep up with them). So far, I’m kinda surprised how little maintenance I can get by with on some of these tanks (especially freshwater).

3 are in use at the moment

Susanedw

@Pat, exactly my thinking and belief. The qt's, the ones I call prison tanks can't be good for stressed fish. So I have sand and a few small pcs of rock in mine, along with fake plants. I can treat prazipro and CP in the tank, can easily remove the rock for the CP if needed. If I have to use copper, I just know it will take a lot more to get it to theraputive levels. And I'll take out the rocks. I think of it more as an observation tank and a tank to allow the incoming fish to adjust and fatten up. I have an aquaclear hob filter, the largest they make so it is like triple the filtration.

I'll be turning my 39 gal display refugium into a QT tank. The majority of the sand and live rock will go into the new tank and sump but I'll leave a couple pieces in, and a much thinner layer of sand. Again, if I need to, I can remove the rock to the sump temporarily. That tank will allow me to qt tangs. It sits close to my display tank in my office, not 10 feet away but I can't do much about that. It has a canister filter but I'll buy another aquaclear and have 2 and take the canister off--it's too hard to deal with if I have to add carbon or take it out. I plan to use that has a vacuum for my sump--suck out crap, return water back