* Begginer LEDs* for old type RSM 250

Which LEDs to add?

• Reef Brite Actinic Blue Tech ($209)

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Reef Brite Actinic Blue Lumi Lite ($85)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

Magick88

Hi everybody,

I have an older type RSM250, all T5s with hood. The ballast in the center (used by the third and fourth bulb) just failed, and we have been thinking it might be a good opportunity to "try out" LEDs. This is my "relaxed" tank, mostly softies with some LPSs, nothing tricky or demanding a lot of lights.

We are looking for an easy to install - and a reasonably priced - LEDs to see how we like them, especially that we are thinking of upgrading to a 200G in 1-2 years.

So far we have been considering a Reef Brite 36" stripe

1) Actinic Blue Tech ($209)
or
2) Lumi Lite Actinic Blue ($85)

I understand I would also need Slim Line T5/LED mounting brackets ($28).

Has anybody tried such mod? Experience? Better ways to achieve partial switching to LED?

We are not ready to switch completely to LEDs or invest more than ~$250 to replace 2 T5s.

Looking forward to all comments and suggestions.

-Magick

DaveK

I would either replace only the failed ballast or replace the entire lighting with LEDs. Steve's LEDs are popular upgrades, but they would be lots more expensive.

In my opinion, it's not worth the investment in LEDs unless your going to go all the way. Going part way usually means replacing that original upgrade when you want to go all LED.

Magick88

I would either replace only the failed ballast or replace the entire lighting with LEDs. Steve's LEDs are popular upgrades, but they would be lots more expensive.

In my opinion, it's not worth the investment in LEDs unless your going to go all the way. Going part way usually means replacing that original upgrade when you want to go all LED.

Dave, thanks for your input.

On the other hand, I plan to sell that RSM250 in 1-2 years, and I do not think that there is a chance that investing in Steve's LEDs would raise the price much, so that would be basically a completely wasted money.

Is that true that installing one LED panel would be less work than replacing the non-working ballast?

DaveK

In that case, I'd replace the ballast and go with the stock lighting.

I never considered a ballast replacement to be that big a deal, but I've not done it on a RSM system.

Pat24601

In that case, I'd replace the ballast and go with the stock lighting.

I never considered a ballast replacement to be that big a deal, but I've not done it on a RSM system.

I haven’t replaced a ballast, but I’ve opened the hood of the RSM to put in LEDS 3 times. Replacing the ballast really should be fairly easy as far as DIY projects go. The most time intensive part is just opening the hood with it’s large number of screws, but it’s not difficult, just a lot of screws to deal with.

Once the hood is open. The ballast is just right there staring at you and it should be straightforward about what to do.

Magick88

I haven’t replaced a ballast, but I’ve opened the hood of the RSM to put in LEDS 3 times. Replacing the ballast really should be fairly easy as far as DIY projects go. The most time intensive part is just opening the hood with it’s large number of screws, but it’s not difficult, just a lot of screws to deal with.

Once the hood is open. The ballast is just right there staring at you and it should be straightforward about what to do.

Thanks, Pat. I replaced ballast once, taking the hood apart and putting everything back together took most of the day :(.

Which LEDs did you use with RSM250? How did you like them?

Pat24601

Thanks, Pat. I replaced ballast once, taking the hood apart and putting everything back together took most of the day :(.

Which LEDs did you use with RSM250? How did you like them?

I used Steve’s and I really like them and they are really easy to install...especially for someone comfortable taking the hood off because that’s the hard part, but I agree with you that they are likely too expensive for your goals,

I don’t know anything at all about cheaper LED options, so unfortunately I can’t really help.