Newbie - Red Sea Reefer 350 with SAPPHIRE SUMP 34 - TRIGGER SYSTEMS

Noam

Hi,
I am about to build my first ever saltwater tank.
I will buy the reefer 350 and wish to have a good refugium. Therefore, I will remove the built-in sump and add the trigger 34.
Since the reefer comes with pipes, and the new sump is much larger, how do I repipe?

Thanks,

DaveK

If you seriously want a good refugium, you would be much better off keeping the existing sump and adding a large refugium to that.

The small refugiums builtas part of a sump are at best marginal, and are not going to do that much.

More important, this is your first SW tank. Trying to go "outside the box" the first time out is kind of "looking for a stomping". It's going to be difficult to get modifications right and your more likely to do a lot more harm than good.

Run the system stock for 6 months to a year, and then consider upgrades and add ons. Your bank balance will thank you.

Noam

If you seriously want a good refugium, you would be much better off keeping the existing sump and adding a large refugium to that.

The small refugiums builtas part of a sump are at best marginal, and are not going to do that much.

More important, this is your first SW tank. Trying to go "outside the box" the first time out is kind of "looking for a stomping". It's going to be difficult to get modifications right and your more likely to do a lot more harm than good.

Run the system stock for 6 months to a year, and then consider upgrades and add ons. Your bank balance will thank you.

Thanks, what refugium tank do you suggest to buy that will complement the built-in sump?

DaveK

When it comes to refugium selection, it doesn't really make too much difference. You can even easily make one as a DIY project. Here is what to look for.

You want a certain amount of size. Ideally about 1/3 the main tank's volume, but it's not a huge deal if it's a bit smaller or larger. You want to avoid all these small hang on the tank units, since they are really too small for most cases.

Consider what you want out of the refugium. Some people want it to produce pods for the main tank. Others want it for nitrate and phosphate reduction. Still others want it so they can keep something that they can't keep in the main tank for some reason. All of this is more a function of how you set up the refugium, and not the refugium itself. However, this might effect what lighting and how much flow you run through it.

To prevent it from becoming a dirt trap, you usually want to feed the refugium from the cleaned water from the main return pump.

As you can see there are several considerations here, and you want to balance them so the end result does the most for your tank.

SantaMonicaHelp

RS Sponsor
Congratulations on starting your first tank, Noam! Remember that there's always useful information to be found on this forum.

-Kamran