Transfer from 20G to 70G-?

Uncle99

I am transferring my 20g reef to a 70g reef.
The 20g has been going for 3 years now.
I have just finished setting up the 60g, with saltwater, deep live sand, filters, wave makers, and lighting, and this has been going for 2 weeks. Virtually identical setup in both, except live rock and current inhabitants.
I have matched, SG and Temp in both tanks perfectly.

I am correct in assuming that I just need to transfer the live rock and inhabitants from 20g to 70g??? The only change I see is more water and no additional load.

Can anyone comment on this logic? Is it correct.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
seems pretty correct to me :) is the plan to add more dry rock one day & then more live stock after a period of time ?

see what others think...

Squatch XXL

except I would move everything in stages.
If you have the time and space for this, this is great to do. I have been transfering items from a 40 to a 90g for over a year, and am down to 1 rock that has pesky coral that I don't want to kill. I had very little coral die in the transfer process. I do kill fish, but my cheapo corals do well.

Uncle99

Yes, the plan is to expand both the new live rock once fully cured and add SPS corals which I have never had. We got the light, the motion and the water quality so it should be fun.

I want to thank you all for your advice and support.

As usual great advice. Fingers crossed, transfers are always a challenge. I'll post the pics once everything settles. Cheers!

Squatch XXL

Take measurements before you transfer the coral. Certain SPS can be more tricky than others even within the same species. As with all coral, watch out for pests and treat accordingly...especially with a new/larger tank.

Uncle99

By measurements you mean to maintain current distances between?

I am going to try just 1, SPS, tomorrow, on its own at least 1 foot from anything else, as more of an experiment as I am learning that the mixed tank is very hard due to the vastly different needs. Small piece of Acro I found for $20. It will be within a foot of the filter and skimmer intake, I am hoping that this would reduce the impact of chemical warfare if it happens.
Just a SWAG into that regard.

We are lucky, no pests for years, except the odd aptasia which my peppermint takes care of, so your right, I don't want to introduce any pests at all.

Thanks for their advice, I do appreciate the input!

Uncle99

Yup, that's a big duh!
Yes, We hope to have stayed cycled as we transferred biological filters from the 20 to the 70 intact, with 5 year old live rock, and the live sand as well. I use a double layered screened sand bed and draw the water down through the layers and back out into the tank. Used this thinking for years.

Watching ammonia, still at zero, nitrate zero, Alk 9, CC 450, MG 1320.
200g of 1.025 RO ready, with 50 for top off.

Changed from an Acro, to a stellata, as this SPS is better for beginners.
It has varied moderate to high flow and plenty of light.

Now, no addition for three months. Fingers crossed.

Thanks to you and DaveK for the help!
image.jpeg

Squatch XXL

Always a great pick. I found that most varieties of ORA Frogskin branded Acro are indestructible. Green Poccilipora also seems quite resilient, but does have "bailout". I am hit or miss on montipora, but the plating variety seem pretty bulletproof. Purple stylo also a survivor.

Uncle99

Used some epoxy to mount to coral.
Now I have millions of microbubbles in my tank from the skimmer.
Anything I can do about this? How long could it last?
I added an air stone a new carbon 25% water change and nothing!

Anyone have any ideas

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
an air stone? this is very uncommon (needed) in a saltwater tank, from all the post I have read... but I can't remember why... maybe others can advise - may be due to salt creep

bet the skimmer will settle in a couple days, micro bubbles won't hurt anything...

Squatch XXL

It has something to do with the chemicals in the glues. Skimmers go nuts for 24-48 hours depending on volume. Chemical curing and crazy stuff I don't understand goes on. the normal evaporation of chemicals happens to the air...here it absorbs into the tank. What happens next is anyones guess. It could trigger bacteria, which bind to the chemicals and get skimmed out....it could be the chemicals being skimmed....Heck, it could act like a wetting agent until it breaks down. It may even be triggered more or less from other chemicals in your tank.
I have used "nitrate removing" filters before that cause the same effect...vinegar does it too....I think it is bacterial binding to the chemicals. Just my opinion from my bad scientists experiments with vinegar. The effect is too much the same.

an air stone?
Is it for the skimmer?

Last edited:

Uncle99

Thanks again for the input which I do appreciate.
I think you are right on with the curing process underwater as you described and its effect on water chemistry. Well stated!

Bubbles seem to be calming down each day, so in three days, about 50%.

To be honest, I have never used a skimmer in my 20 plus years, but thought this rebuild, I should go with the majority. So learned something new and that's what I like about our hobby.

Thanks, transfer completed!
image.jpeg

Uncle99

I forgot to address the question of an air stone.
So my understanding is that use of an air stone in a saltwater aquarium decreases carbon dioxide in the water and increases oxygen and this leads to faster curing time of expoxy. It also can raise your PH. It would only be used temporarily, it is not for continued use. Sounds chemically correct, and in the end, likely would not hurt anything.

Or so the theory goes....hum?

Squatch XXL

Or so the theory goes
Seems legit to me. It would do everything you describe.

I have never used a skimmer in my 20 plus years, but thought this rebuild, I should go with the majority

I have always selected terribly underpowered models of skimmers. I think I currently have one just for the look. A good berlin system can really do well with plenty of water changes and good circulation.

Just thought Id ask if you are aware of your pictures being upside down?

Uncle99

Yes and no. Thought I caught them all but guess Not
Transfer from 20g to 70g completed. All stuff in, all parameters perfect except working with 5ppm nitrate and .2 ppm phosphate towards target of 1ppm nitrate and 0 phosphate. Applying weekly 20% water change and daily 8 ml NoPox.

Next step...no additions......no changes.....until birth N and P targets achieved....expectation.....about 5-6 months.

The thumbnail seems upside down but the image below is not...or at least that's what I am seeing
image.jpeg