Just got a BTA

Kodyt

Hello folks. I'm new to this forum. I took a break from this hobby when my kids were born 15 years ago. Now that they're older, I have time to get back into it. I started a 125G tank in March of this year. Been cycling and waiting for awhile. I transferred a clean up crew I had in a 10 gallon tank that has been running for over a year. 1 Fighting conch/5 red hermits/2 blue knuckle hermit crabs/1 emerald crab/1 peppermint shrimp/1 Coral Banded Shrimp/6 Turbo snails/2 Nassarius snails. I have 1 purple fire fish.

I was wondering if any of my clean up crew is going to be bad for my BTA. I read here and there that hermits are not good and I find my peppermint shrimp suspicious.

DaveK

I don't think your going to have any problems with the cuc, but you never know. I'd just keep an eye on things. You really don't have that many crabs.

I would worry a little about the purple fire fish blundering into the anemone and being eaten by it.

Uncle99

I have not had much luck with red legs, in the past, they were always the culprit of something dying. Get reasonably big fast, eat snails for dinner. Sorry, never been a fan of crabs, my snails and myself are the crew in my case. Been this way 10 years or so now. If you likem OK, but heed Daves advice. Maybe they just don't like me. Fish who hang out in rocks and rest on the bottom are targets.
Never ever had a problem with shrimps, bloodreds, skunks, peppers and the peppers each aptasia real well, although one of my clowns was suspect in the disappearance of 1 skunk cleaner. Hum?

TAMPATIM

I bought a BTA last week. None of my hermits have came near it. When it first went in the tank the peppermint shrimp jumped on it but has since left it alone. Now that my Maroon clown has been hosted I don't expect anymore issue of others getting near the BTA.

Crowther

I bought a BTA last week. None of my hermits have came near it. When it first went in the tank the peppermint shrimp jumped on it but has since left it alone. Now that my Maroon clown has been hosted I don't expect anymore issue of others getting near the BTA.
I've had the same experience with my hermit crabs staying away from my BTA. They don't seem to bother it. I don't have a clown. So, I've had too feed the BTA to keep it bubbly and happy. It eats like a pig. So far, so good.

Kodyt

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm seeing the same. The hermits have more or less stayed away. The peppermint shrimp jumped on the BTA initially but hasn't since. The coral banded shrimp stays far away- very reclusive. As for my purple fire fish, it seems to be smart enough to stay away.

Uncle99

My negative feelings about crabs in general apply only to those inhabitants which cannot defend themselves, A BTA is a strong contender, but snails, corals, fish that sleep on the bottom and slow movers will perish, in time.
The are great in large tanks with tangs and the like.