Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

David Winckley

Hi I'm Dave
I'm new to keeping marines.
I've set up my new tank 80 ltr 21 gallon
Salt water is in and cycling .
I have put in dry sand and live rock.
I'm thinking of putting a prawn or two in to help the cycle.
What is your advise and how many and for how long
And when do I put them in ?

Any advice will be welcome

mr_tap_water

Welcome Dave to RS[emoji106]
Two or three should be enough just leave them in they Will practically disintegrate over the time period in the meantime just test daily until the cycle is finished,
once the levels have come down just siphon out whatever is left.[emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David Winckley

Welcome Dave to RS[emoji106]
Two or three should be enough just leave them in they Will practically disintegrate over the time period in the meantime just test daily until the cycle is finished,
once the levels have come down just siphon out whatever is left.[emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Many thanks for your advice. Is this the best way ?

Pat24601

Many thanks for your advice. Is this the best way ?

I'm not sure there is a best way. Lots of ways work. It's probably the most popular way on these forums, though.

I cycled my freshwater by buying a bottle ammonia (dr Tims, I think) and just dropping in ammonia directly. I cycled my second freshwater just by throwing in a few cubes of fish food.

I cycled my first saltwater using the deli shrimp.

The only method that really isn't popular here is using live fish. That's both because it's viewed as cruel to the fish and because damsels suck to have in your tank and its hard to get them out once in.

I haven't decided how I'm going to do my second saltwater. I may use the Red Sea pro mature kit just to do something different.

The bottom line is it really doesn't matter, One way or another you end up in the same place with a cycled tank.

Last edited:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
:rbwwelc:to RS ! Start a tank thread and share your tank with us, we Love pics !

"old school" has always worked well here...

add a deli shrimp, let it rot for a week or two...

Start testing and watching... the Ammonia will raise then drop, followed by the Nitrites raising and then dropping, then the Nitrates will soar - once the ammonia & nitrites are gone, then do water changes to reduce nitrates.

Ammonia > Nitrite > Nitrate

Tank Cycled

CyclingGraph.gif

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
+1 for old school! Nature takes its time, and it is usually on time, so why rush it and risk a crash or delay. Plus, using dead shrimp/prawns to cycle is about as cheap as it gets.

-Jeff

Pat24601

FWIW, I decided to cycle my current tank using old school deli shrimp.

I was going to use the Red Sea reef mature pro kit mainly so I'd have first hand experience with it for these boards. Then it looked like a pita to have to dose my tank on a schedule like that, so I decided I'm too lazy to try it when I know the deli shrimp works, is cheap, and easy. :)