New Set Up

Hey everybody

Forgive my ignorance but I'm new to this so would welcome some advice on occasion ...

Ive set up my tank with some live rock and a 5 gang CUC etc

It's all been going well but I found this earlier and I'm a bit distraught - what's happened here ?
Also my other crab is acting like a drunken lunatic ... see video

Have also discovered this today - any ideas? Is it safe ?

Jo

Attachments

• IMG_3743.JPG
    IMG_3743.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 12

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
:rbwwelc:to RS start a tank thread and share you tank with us.

1st guess... would be the tank is still cycling and anything alive in there before the cycle finishes will be stressed from ammonia. But that just a guess... without learning more about your tank.

Start testing and watching... the Ammonia will raise then drop, followed by the Nitrites raising and then dropping, then the Nitrates will soar - once the ammonia & nitrites are gone, then do water changes to reduce nitrates.

Ammonia > Nitrite > Nitrate

Tank Cycled

CyclingGraph.gif

index.php

StevesLEDs

RS Sponsor
Sorry to hear about your drunk crabs. Drunk crabs = water quality issues.

Except for a Marshal Island crab I had once. He found a slightly bigger shell and moved to it for a few moments, after deciding it was too big. During that time a very tiny other hermit moved to his previous shell. When Marshal decided to move back, it was occupied.

Instead of going to the larger shell, it's like he threw a tantrum and started to frantically look for any other shell for about 2 hours before settling for the unliked larger shell. During that time he was exhausted and acted a bit drunk doing somersaults and stuff.

Good luck and don't let it discourage you!

-Jeff

Blue Space

Sorry to hear about your drunk crabs. Drunk crabs = water quality issues.

Except for a Marshal Island crab I had once. He found a slightly bigger shell and moved to it for a few moments, after deciding it was too big. During that time a very tiny other hermit moved to his previous shell. When Marshal decided to move back, it was occupied.

Instead of going to the larger shell, it's like he threw a tantrum and started to frantically look for any other shell for about 2 hours before settling for the unliked larger shell. During that time he was exhausted and acted a bit drunk doing somersaults and stuff.

Good luck and don't let it discourage you!

-Jeff

Sounds like the plot for a good TV show... Krusty Crab's Flipping Houses! :D