Kenneth's Reef Royal

Koestby

So here goes, I'm setting up a new tank. Woho

The tank itself is a Aqua Medic Anthias 160.
160x67x70 - 750l
78dd77c6f8b0b787c4e907d8faab8f55.jpg

I made it black and did new plumbing on it.
Originally it came with 1 drain and 1 return, Im running Herbie style overflow, so I had to make 1 more for emergency. I drilled out the 25mm return to a 40mm drain, so now I got two 40mm drains. Plumbed the new return on the backside of the tank (32mm). Also got my black acrylic for the overflow box coming soon ,so stay tuned ;)
64f1668b76d01b8d140690e446e151d9.jpg

Royal Exclusiv Dreambox 150l sump
RD3 Speedy 80w return.
Bubbleking Double Cone 200/ with RD3 speedy 50w pump
5f32facce626df85abb9be7fec71bda6.jpg

516e67becf9fcd3e2b8c56d74ee7af9a.jpg

2 RE Media reactors hardplummed into return pump.

Schego 600w heater with thermostat controller.

2x MP40QD from Ecotech
2x Radion g3 xr30w pro- might add 1 more.

Tank is set up with all new and dry rock from Aquaforest.
Will mainly be running AF products which Im having great success with in the other tank.

Caribsea live reef sand.
b33770b87365447899868936bdd63973.jpg

789badcdc44d181cd4f35a090ccf206e.jpg

Started cycling last Saturday, 11.3.17
Adding aquaforest bio s everyday for 14 days

Happy reefing good people :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Koestby

Soooo, while the tank cycles I got a good amount of time looking for what fishies I want in my tank.
Almost all the fish in the old tank will join the new, I`ll write up my list for you too see.

Wish Fishlist:
Yellow Pyramid Butterflyfish x 2-3 / Hemitaurichthys polylepis
Watanabei Angelfish - Pair / Genicanthus watanabei
Exquisite Firefish- Thinking 4 maybe, kinda small fish. / Nemateleotris exquisita

I am also considering to add some tangs to my new and bigger tank. Maybe Achilles, Naso or Whitecheek.

The fish I have

1 Yellow tang / Zebrasoma flavescens
1 Blue tang / Paracanthurus hepatus
2 Occelaris clowns / Amphiprion ocellaris
1 Starry Blenny / Salarias ramosus
1 Orchid Dottyback / Pseudochromis fridmani
1 Bluestreak Cleaner wrasse / Labroides dimidiatus
1 Yellow Wrasse / Halichoeres chrysus

Chime in and let me know what U think and if U have any suggestions, tell me :D

mr_tap_water

The pyramids are great looking fish especially groups of three or four and is one fish I've never had and always fancied having,
As for the Achilles A beautiful looking fish it comes with risk can be very aggressive specially if you have other tangs and would put this one in last also known to get white spots very easy so I would advise if you get this one to have a good UV or ozone set up which may help to a degree,
Good luck[emoji846][emoji106]

Koestby

So I`ve been kinda lazy and doing a ton of other stuff around the house and outside.. Summer is coming WOHO..
But the tank is doing great, I was afraid that not having the lights over the new tank during the cycle would spring a new algae outbreak when added but fortunate enough it was kinda not present at all..

About a month ago I added a good amount of CUC, consisting of various species of hermits, snails and sea stars ( U call them starfish? Or am I wrong) I also had one lonely chromis and was supposed to sell him but didn't get any buyers for him and I didn`t wanna flush him down the toilet so I bought a few more chromis, have 7 now and it`s a nice little gang..

All the corals are doing great, gonna start gluing them down today or tomorrow in their places.

Im also going to a fellow reefer today and empty his tank for corals as he Is taking a break from reefing. A lot of nice LPS, and a ton of SPS corals for me..

Be safe and keep reefing ;)

Koestby

Ok guys, I need some help. Let me shed some light on it, I have been using AF probiotic salt since the start of this tank, 11 of March it started cycling.
I have been using Np Pro and Pro bio S for no3/po4 reduction (ULNS) system.. I thought that WC 10% every other week would be sufficient. I changed to every week for the past month. I feed anywhere from 2-4 times a day with frozen, nori/flakes or pellets.. I mix it up.

Yet my No3 won't budge and is constant on 25ppm with Salifert. And my Po4 is currently at 0.21 Hanna Checker and 0.15-20 ppm with Nyos Reefer kit.

I can slow down my feeding I guess.
I use RODI water - reads at 0 TDS, I will test that water for No3/Po4
I usually clean out my collection cup once a week. Running a RE Double Cone 200 so it should be suited for the tank, and the gunk it takes out makes me think its working good. Maybe can be tweaked for better performance.

I have a decent CUC, hermits, trochus/nassarius snails.. few sand sifting starfish.
Fishstock atm is 16 or 17..

So give me some ideas of what I might be doing wrong cause I can't see em clearly.

Thx

Koestby

Here`s my fishlist.

3 x Tangs

Blue Tang
Yellow Tang
Clown Tang - Juvenile

2 x Clownfish

Amphiprion ocellaris

3 x Wrasse`s

Bluestreak Cleaner Wrasse
Exquisite Fairy Wrasse
Yellow Wrasse

7 x Chromis Viridis

1 x Flame Angelfish

1 x Starry Blenny

DaveK

... I feed anywhere from 2-4 times a day with frozen, nori/flakes or pellets ...

Yet my No3 won't budge and is constant on 25ppm with Salifert. And my Po4 is currently at 0.21 ...

You also have 3 tangs, which are big dirty fish that create a lot of waste, and a total of 17 fish.

Your actually not doing too bad, all things considered. At this point you are likely not over crowded with fish, but I wouldn't add any more. You may have an issue with over crowding in the future as some of these fish can grow quite large.

If your corals and other livestock are doing well, and your not having other problems like algae, I would just leave things alone. You'll likely do more harm than good trying to chase numbers.

If you are having some issues then first thing I'd cut back on is the amount and number of feedings. I typically only feed my tank 2 or 3 times a week. However, you do need to check all the fish species your keeping. Some fish do require multiple feedings a day to maintain them. Offhand I don't think you have any fish need that kind of feeding, so you could try cutting the feeding down to once a day.

The other thing you can do is to increase the number and size of water changes. It's the old story, a 20% water change is a 20% reduction in nitrates and phosphates.

You already have a great filtration and skimmer system with the RE gear. Your not going to be able to do too much better there.

Koestby

Well that's the thing, I'm having SPS corals rtn'ing on me.. they do fine for a while, keeping good color and pe. And then turn to brown and the rtn from base. I'm dosing Component 123+ currently 80ml a day of kh and the mineral. Ca and Mg is still high from the start at 500ppm and 1500ppm tested with Nyos. Would think they should have gone down by now. Alk is being kept around 7-8dkh