My new 500max led build

Whitey1973

Well today is the day!! Waiting for my new Redsea max 500 led to turn up.... been given the normal 08:00 to 18:00 delivery time slot!! and just come off a night shift to absolutely cream crackered[emoji42][emoji42][emoji42] I'm looking forward to the build and will try to post as much as I can

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whitey1973

68e64f88fee9bf93bc948a96ef13ac01.jpg

Tank turned up at 14:15...... 4 hours later and the main bits done, took longer to unpack and tidy up[emoji23][emoji23]

Whitey1973

a4ebbd826be8487d2a836fb2a2a8c749.jpg
ad766f1663177b314798c43e54e489d5.jpg
6bc0f5df00b97eb180bdbafd39f983e9.jpg

Well it's been a busy day, boy I love this tank!!! Had a few issues, the first being the palette was damaged on arrival but all seems ok!! And a few issues with the instructions not being very clear on some areas, the only real issue I have with this tank is the amount of polystyrene bits all over the house[emoji23][emoji23] going to call it a night and start again tomorrow, skimmer and return pump need going in, give it a clean down and start aquascaping!!!!!!

SPR

Well that didn't take you long. Took me a week to build my Max S 650 although to be fair I did it slow!

Are you sure you've put all the screws in!

Whitey1973

All screws are in, I am a electrician by trade so pretty handy with a battery screw driver!!! Just need to put bits in sump and tidy the cables up, hopefully start aquascaping, after reading you and nobbygas changing your skimmer and then going to my local lfs and seeing there S400 with a nyos in it, I'm really tempted to go and get one!!!!

Whitey1973

Just one question.... what sort of schedule and power settings are you running your AI's on ?

ajkdark

Contact Red Sea Kev, he's usually on this forum. He can email you, Red Sea's recommendation for the Al settings.

Or if you wish to pm me. I can email the settings to you. They are a great starting point for the AI Hydras.

Cheers

SPR

Just one question.... what sort of schedule and power settings are you running your AI's on ?

I have always used the Red Sea Reef spec as per the instructions but then drop to blue colour at night because I like that. Basically Max on everything other than zero for Red / green (algea control)and 60% for white. Mine are on from 12pm to 10pm with 1 hour ramp up/down.

Also I wouldn't bother connecting via a router to the lights as it doesn't work, or it doesn't when you want it to. The best way is to connect direct to the parent light rather than via a router. Just means you have to select the light on your network settings to change settings on your phone but that takes seconds. Never had any issues since doing this.

On the skimmer if you have the money I wouldn't even bother putting the c Skim in. There is no comparison with the NYOS Quantum 160. If you haven't already seen it on my build thread there is a video link - beautiful piece of kit. The C Skim works and I ran it, but as you will read everywhere it's noisy and in no way compares to the NYOS which is simply silent. I finally got one when my LFS and major one in London recommended it when asked 'what was best skimmer' without mentioning it and they both said, NYOS Quantum 160.

Last edited:

Nobbygas

Blimey....built in a few hours! I was like Shaun, and I think it took me about five or six days to put my S-650 together!

One of the best things about the NYOS (and I assume this applies to most modern skimmers) is that it is free-standing, in that the C-Skim has to be connected to the main Manifold. This means any slight adjustment to the C-Skim means you have to adjust the Downflow Regulator. After a while, this becomes a pain in the arse.

Reactions: SPR

Whitey1973

Blimey....built in a few hours! I was like Shaun, and I think it took me about five or six days to put my S-650 together!

One of the best things about the NYOS (and I assume this applies to most modern skimmers) is that it is free-standing, in that the C-Skim has to be connected to the main Manifold. This means any slight adjustment to the C-Skim means you have to adjust the Downflow Regulator. After a while, this becomes a pain in the arse.
I'm going with both of your advice bite the bullet and invest in the nyos!!! I'll post some pics later

Nobbygas

You won't regret it. I was determined to make the C-Skim work. I fiddled with it for hours and hours. Eventually, it started to skim really well, pulling out loads of gunk, but my wife had the final say over the noise. No matter what I did I could not stop it. Good skimmer, but noisy.
I'm just glad she didn't threaten me with the old, "It's either me or the tank", because I'd probably miss her.

Whitey1973

9c47fc2e59285907b41bbac8040fbf8c.jpg
72047e51c6947b84abb08cf2442d66d6.jpg

Aquascape coming along nice I think?? I still have some rock to transfer from old tank, going to add a block of marine pure in the sump anyway, just a bit of glueing then for the sand

Nobbygas

I did the same. I wanted the maximum amount of swimming space. The 'rule book' says 1kg of rock per 10 litres, so on the S-650 this would equate to 65kg of rock. I've got about 42kg of rock, plus an 8x8x4 Marine Pure Block in the Sump. So far I've had no problem with Nitrates etc.
I'm trying for a tank that has fish with some corals. Others prefer mainly corals with some fish (if you get my drift).......It's just your personal choice I suppose.

Whitey1973

Me to, I didn't want to upgrade to a 500 litre tank to cram it full of rock and ending up with 200 litres of water in it!!!

Whitey1973

7eab153c33d5ac5f9205c5e8048fc8bc.jpg

Well 20Kg of reef base washed and put in just need water!!!! Do I wait 3 days for RO unit to make it or 4 trips to the local LFS [emoji848]

Nobbygas

I had an old RO unit that only produced 90 litres a day, and I didn't have enough storage for 650 litres. My initial plan was to be patient and let my RO unit produce the water.......but I gave up and made multiple runs to the LFS for RO water !