Coral questions...

HueroEnfermero

I am looking for a hardy beginner coral and was looking for some suggestions. I adopted a friends 24 gallon tank. Currently I have 2 clowns, bubbletip nem, arrow and emerald crabs, hermits, turbos and a harlequin shrimp. I want to start bringing in some coral species but I have no clue where to start. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pat24601

It's all about what looks good to you, but I like some types of leather corals, some types of mushrooms, lps corals like branching hammer and torches. I think all of those both look cool and are easy. If I had to pick one, maybe a torch. They are nice and flowy and always thrived really well for me.

Well, if you have an anemone you have gone past easy already. They need lots of light and very stable water parameters. I suggest spending your time right now ensuring you have a stable environment for the anemone. I do agree that leather corals are great for beginners. My other favorite is mushrooms.

HueroEnfermero

Thanks for that site nano! Awesome reference to have. Just read the section about the torch corals. It says to avoid with other leather corals and hermits. What do you guys think about this advice?
So far I like the torches and toadstools. I just added a clown, I was going to wait a while make sure my water parameters stay stable and then try one of these corals. Currently I am checking the basics...ph, ammon, nitrate -ites and -ates as well as sg. In starting to add corals, what additional tests should I add?
Thanks for all the great advice everyone!

Pat24601

I love torch corals ! wavie/flowie so pretty

I have never had a leather, I know they can do some chemical warfare - see what others advise... doubt the hermits will bother a torch.

This is true. While I didn't have problems with it, you definitely have to watch leathers and chemical warfare.

With torches, it's a little more obvious. Don't put them somewhere they can physically reach and sting other corals. :)

mr_tap_water

IMO Worrying about chemical warfare is easy resolved just doing regular water changes and adding some active carbon every now and again Will do the job.

dbetts

I love my frogspawn and leather. They are both pretty easy, and look nice. I especially love how the frogspawn moves (very similar to the torch that @nanoreefing4fun talked about a few posts ago). But I do have to agree that since you have an anemone in the tank, "easy" isn't in your vocabulary anymore. Haha! Make sure to tell us what you decide! And we all love picturesssssss :)

HueroEnfermero

I love my frogspawn and leather. They are both pretty easy, and look nice. I especially love how the frogspawn moves (very similar to the torch that @nanoreefing4fun talked about a few posts ago). But I do have to agree that since you have an anemone in the tank, "easy" isn't in your vocabulary anymore. Haha! Make sure to tell us what you decide! And we all love picturesssssss :)
So I took the plunge a got a small leather coral. My phone is giving me problems trying to post a picture. I'll keep trying. Thanks for advice!

HueroEnfermero

9a7871d7dc19c8c989523e7bcd623078.jpg

I hope the pic loads. Not the best pic, but the gsp seems happy and healthy

Lovely answers you received, and good looking corals! I was just about to ask the original posts question as well, thank you for answering it for me lol, also thanks nanoreefing4fun for you great link