Susan's RMS c250

Susanedw

Hi all. I'm new to SW but have had FW in the past. My hopefully future son-in-law has a 300g tank with a separate sump room and he started my dau with a RMS 40 or 50 gal. They inspired me to take the plunge. It's been many years since I had a tank. I love watching fish.

I happened upon my tank, a RMS Max c250 (66 gal) in Craigs list--brand new, put together but never used for a price I couldn't pass up: About a third of the going prices I saw online! He bought it for his mobile home and decided it would be too heavy.

It's set up now (Dec 15) and starting its cycle. I added a shrimp today to help it along. Looking forward to this new adventure. I put it in my office where I spend most of the day writing so I can enjoy it. No one else here during the day and hubby hides in his office when he comes home. figure it would be wasted elsewhere in the house <g>

Right now have tons of micro air bubbles since starting the skimmer. Found this site using google, read some suggests and will remove air valve and play around with it.

The photo shows temp probe which will be moved to sump on back, some brown stuff bottom of sand bed. Hoping that's good. String attached to shrimp for easy removal in a couple days. Mag cleaner on front holding thread...

Looking forward to meeting people and learning about this new hobby.
20161217_181059_zpsa4vmnzs9.jpg

Susan

mr_tap_water

Welcome to RS Great looking set up you have there especially Liking the Rock display keep the pictures coming and updates great start[emoji106][emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :nessie:

Susanedw

I thought maybe there was another place as someone suggested I start a thread within this thread <g>

Started doing some water tests. Amonia still at 0 and nitrites at around 5. Tossed in a shrimp yesterday. Will take it out tomorrow. Starting to fall apart some. Working on figuring out which apps to use and plan my daily schedule.

Have micro bubbles. Waiting a few days for skimmer to break in and will adjust some more. If I remove the air valve, it goes nuts. Nothing in there so figure it doesn't really matter.

Temp dropped a bit overnight to 77. Not sure what I'll do as I don't have the heat on at night. Set to 62 in the house. Tonight, it's up to 80. Shifted it down just a tad and put the water cooling fans on. Will watch over the next few days and adjust as needed.

Still working on ATO. Jug I was going to use isn't going to use. Need to go to Home Depot and get a 5 gal bucket and lid, or another garbage can. Will ck amazon....

Susanedw

So far, no amonia spike, a one day nitrite spike to .5 Shrimp (large jumbo) in for 3 days now. Not sure how long to leave. Micro bubbles gone. Skimmer seems adjusted now.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I would just leave the shrimp to rot... once the tank cycles and you add a cuc, they will make it disapear overnight

see what others advise... the ^ what I always do :)

Susanedw

I have diatom starting on my dry rock and sand bed. Assuming this is a good thing as it means the tank is doing its thing.
Next week, if not tomorrow, will add a couple of clowns. Diatom not enough yet to add any cuc.

Here are my tests since I started. I'm using the Red Sea kit. I waited a couple of days before doing the first test.
17th NH4 0, NO2 0, NO3 0
18th NH4 0, NO2 .5, NO3 0
19th NH4 0, NO2 .05, NO3 0
20th NH4 0, NO2 .02, NO3 2
21st NH4 0, NO2 .01, NO3 10
Today, the 22nd
NH4 0
NO2 0
NO3 10
ph 8.2
Alk 2.5 Not sure what this is or if it is way too low. (red sea test kit

Susanedw

Hmmm, time to put temp probe into sump area... And adjust one nozzle so it doesn't shift sand below. Also going to add carbon to media area in back. 2 bags carbon, and tomorrow, the purigen that should arrive.
20161222_112218_resized.jpg 20161222_112240_resized.jpg 20161222_112253_resized.jpg 20161222_112308_resized.jpg

spiraling

Looks great! so exciting to have a new tank.
Why two carbon? that seems like a lot, especially combined with purigen. Just asking. I don't think you can overdo carbon, especially if you are planning a bunch of different corals.

Susanedw

lol's. Probably because that's what came with the set up. I have a media basket with ceramics down at the bottom, then the two carbon bags, and I'll put the purigen on top. As I learn more, I'll adjust...

Susanedw

First livestock! Nothing too exciting but it's mine :). As much as I like some of the designer clowns, for my first fish, I wanted inexpensive and I like clowns period so these little guys are more than welcome. Added 3 frags: A torch, Xenia and a Clove. I'm researching where to put them now. I know my daughter got me a Xenia for Xmas as she was affronted that I bought one <g>.20161223_205334_resized.jpg 20161223_200506_resized.jpg 20161223_200511_resized.jpg 20161223_205157_resized.jpg

Attachments

• 20161223_205356_resized.jpg
    20161223_205356_resized.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2

Susanedw

Added 2 more corals. A green Star Polyp and a rock of zoo's. From my dau's tank for my xmas present. Very cool. Her SO who has a 300 gal tank and a separate sump ROOM was impressed with my tank and we had some good fish discussions. Def. need to add some more CUC next week. Clowns doing very well. Now to figure out where in the tank to put my new corals!
20161224_205646_resized_zpskvxwqgnb.jpg

Susanedw

Okay, updating. Tank seems cycled and steady with all tests so far. Added some livestock
23rd 2 small clowns, 1 clove frag, 1 xenia, 1 torch, 3 cerith snails
25th 1 green star, 1 frag with zoos
26th GBTA and fan, 2 turbans, 4 nassarious snails

All seem to be doing really well. BT is hiding in a deep crevice of my pukani. He just sank down into the crevice. Fan happy except when clowns get too close! Turned off wave maker until I can put a netting around it until I know she is settled or in case she moves. Moved the torch up higher--had all corals on the sandbed for a few days. it's really stretching out and waving

Numbers are holding. Will do the 1st 10 % water change today. Have to see if the water is at temp yet. Had appearance of some pink stuff on rocks. Cyano most likely.20161226_192127_resized.jpg 20161227_102440_resized.jpg