Black Stomatella snail?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I'd say, YES!! I've had several colors of Stomatellas but never a black one.
Very AWESOME find! :thumbup: They make tank watching fun...never know when or where you'll see them next. :D

Oxylebius

It does look like a black stomatella. They do come in black. But, the areas around the shell are a little different from regular stomatella's. I'd say it looks more like an abalone based on the extra tentacles you can see in your pic around the left side. Any chance you can post a few more pics, from different angles. If it is an abalone, it is good to have. great algae eater. So you don't have to be worried.

DaveR11

It does look like a black stomatella. They do come in black. But, the areas around the shell are a little different from regular stomatella's. I'd say it looks more like an abalone based on the extra tentacles you can see in your pic around the left side. Any chance you can post a few more pics, from different angles. If it is an abalone, it is good to have. great algae eater. So you don't have to be worried.

Hi Oxy got a couple more shots of him today so here you go...

DaveR11

Good pictures...good little guy, adorable to look at too :thumbup:
I hope you are lucky enough to find more of them in your tank. :fingerscrossed:

Thanks Diana. I've only seen one at a time, so maybe I just have this one. He is a lovely contrast against the rock but moves quite quickly so only seen him a few times.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Thanks Diana. I've only seen one at a time, so maybe I just have this one. He is a lovely contrast against the rock but moves quite quickly so only seen him a few times.
They seem to grow very rapidly....I watch a tiny get really BIG in my tank.
He was one of my 1st hitchhiker finds. Have not seen him in a long time.
Strange that I never see Stomatellas for sale. They are so cool!!

DaveR11

They seem to grow very rapidly....I watch a tiny get really BIG in my tank.
He was one of my 1st hitchhiker finds. Have not seen him in a long time.
Strange that I never see Stomatellas for sale. They are so cool!!

I agree, they have a lovely face. I was really pleased when I saw mine spawning and when I started to find babies in the sump so I moved up to the DT. Now they are everywhere. Lots of tiny snails so I'm less fussy about moving them up. There is plenty to eat down there with Chaeto and Caulerpa plus whatever is growing on the glass.