Rien his RSM C 250 adventure

Rini

Hello,

Hereby i open a new topic for my new Red Sea Max C 250.

I started some months ago with an nano tank (30 liter bruto). This was to try if we would like the sea water adventure. In short: Yes we like it.
It was clear that we both like the hobby enough to go a bit bigger. That sounds easier as it is.
A bit bigger. We made up some rules for the new tank.

* 200 - 300 liter water
* Prefer rear sump. We have a little girl, and before we know she is bathing her barbie doll in the sump, or filling it up with cola or other stuff.
* Plug and play.
* Enough support.

With those things the search started.
Few candidates where the Eheim Incpiria 300. has an sump below in the cabinet. Lightning seems not very sufficient. Need to buy technic. No go.
Aqua medic Magnifica 100. Pretty good looking tank, sump in the rear. Tried to find things about this tank on youtube, on the Aqua medic site itself. But the support is very very poor. Not much to find... For me as noob, this was no go.

Custom made was another thing. Did contacted some company's who build the tank.
But had to decide the technic to use... MAN! If you let the company who build it choose, then they go for the most expense stuff. Did some research for pumps, skimmers, lights. 2 people, 3 opinions.... No go.

Then i came to the red sea max c 250. Found ALOT of support video's on the internet. The website is great.
For me as noob this was the key. And basically I bought it because of the good support. Had contact with an Dutch red sea max sales man after an question I raised.
It feels like i'm not alone.
With the other brands I didn't get that feeling to be honest. So yes for me this was KEY.
Remember i'm pretty new.

When I knew for sure the Max C 250 was the winner, I directly ordered it at the store.
1 week later.

IMG_1040.jpg IMG_1045.jpg IMG_1064.jpg IMG_1069.jpg IMG_1071.jpg IMG_1075.jpg IMG_1079.jpg IMG_1077.jpg IMG_1085.jpg IMG_1086.jpg IMG_1086.jpg

As you can see, the whole family worked together.
Pretty easy to build. Where i got lost was with the skimmer. There is a small valve and have no idea what to do with it. As far i understand the manual you do not have to attach it. So i left it out.

The 2 water pumps on the left and right are hanging. Guess that normal? There were 2 green water hose. But to short to put the pump on the bottom of the compartment.

Further we managed to get everything as described in the manual.
First time we did fill it with fresh water, and kept it running for 1,5 day. No leaks!
After that we visit the lfs and got some nice living rock + real seawater.

Can't put in more pictures, so next reply more pictures.

Rini

Back home from the fish store with live rock... Then it starts to get difficult. Our goal is : keep it very light with rocks, we want plenty swimming space.

Before we went home we had to carry the water to the car
Gladly i had good help as you can see.

IMG_1105.JPG

IMG_1089.jpg
This are the rocks we got. It took a while to find the right ones in the store.
Then the complicated thing started to make a scape we both like.
First attempt. Goal was to have 2 towers like this.
We both liked it so far.

IMG_1106.JPG IMG_1108.JPG

The moment I touched the bed, i was thinking. With 2 of these towers, it is not very light with rocks.
Was in doubt if this was the right way to go.
Today (sunday morning) I cam out bed, and started directly to scape again. Before breakfast, i had it in my mind. And had to do it directly. Like a little child want to play with his lego.

IMG_1112.JPG

And Yes, this is what i think is light, less is more! Enough space in the front, enough space in the hight for swimming. This is how it look now. We both really like the scape, plenty room for nice color corals.
It has 15 kilo of living rock.

The system is running now with all pumps, skimmer. Make a lot of noise. Guess thats how it starts.
Skimmer adjustment is something where i have 1 big question mark. The "thing" is now in the lowest position. If i put it higher it start to throw out water in the cup. Guess thats not how it is intend to be.

Lot to learn.

Have an very simplistic ATO system. No idea where to place that too. LOL.

So we are now in starting up phase. Curious what it is going to bring.
At least a lot of fun. Hopefully not too much bad monsters from the rocks. :)

Well, it is a great new adventure!
Thanks for reading. Will keep update coming.

Last edited:

Rini

Hi Pat. I saw your topic about the skimmer. Gladly I'm not alone with this. The manual is not clear. I'm now trying what you did. 1/4.
Did it make a splashing sound with you aswell? Mine sounds like a waterfall.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Pat24601

Hi Pat. I saw your topic about the skimmer. Gladly I'm not alone with this. The manual is not clear. I'm now trying what you did. 1/4.
Did it make a splashing sound with you aswell? Mine sounds like a waterfall.

If it sounds like a waterfall, you may want to move it up a bit. Maybe try the skim adjuster (water gate) at half way and see what happens. It's very much trial and error so don't be shy about moving it around and seeing what happens. You won't hurt anything and it will help you learn his it works in your environment.

On my personal set up, any time I hear a waterfall sound, that's my signal that something is wrong. Typically, it means my ATO is out of water. :). Others may have theirs set up differently and that may be a normal sound. I dunno. I keep my water slightly above that optimal water line.

Rini

Thanks Pat. Going to try that. About water level to be sure. You fill it to optimum or a bit higher with all pumps off right? I did that at least. As soon I power on the pumps the level drops very quick in both pump chambers.

Pat24601

Thanks Pat. Going to try that. About water level to be sure. You fill it to optimum or a bit higher with all pumps off right? I did that at least. As soon I power on the pumps the level drops very quick in both pump chambers.

I keep it a bit higher with the pumps on. You are correct it drops dramatically once you turn the pumps on. So. I add a bit more salt water after I turn the pumps on so my water line is slightly higher than the optimal line with the pumps on.

My water line is actually a tad high right this second because I just did a water change and overfilled it a bit. So, my water is typically slightly below where it is on this pic, but it's close.

image.jpg

EDIT: btw, I think I was thinking backwards on where your skimmer currently is. Regardless, the point about just playing with it and seeing what happens is still my advice. :)

Last edited:

Rini

Hi Pat. Thanks again for your quick response and help. Very much appreciated.
Have put in screenshots how my levels are.
Here you see when pumps are running, marked with yellow line.

IMG_1116.JPG

Here with pumps out and skimmer. So no water circulation
again marked with yellow.

IMG_1117.JPG

If you sit in front of the thank you can see it is not filled, you see clearly the water line.
marked the level with everything off in yellow

IMG_1119.JPG

If you look in front the impression is, the tank is not filled correctly. If you check the levels on the pump chambers they are above optimum.

I'm feeling a noob here at 03:39 am.

Pat24601

There are a ton of things when you are starting out that are unclear. The saltwater hobby doesn't come with a very good instruction manual--even the Red Sea all in one. There's lots of things to learn along the way.

Your pictures are very helpful. I think that explains the waterfall sound. Your water levels with pumps running are much, much lower than I run them. I run them slightly below this red line. It's just a little high at the moment from my water change.
image.jpg

That said, I am quite surprised by the large difference in your water levels between pumps on and off. My water levels definitely drop when I turn my pumps on, but not by that much. I don't have a good explanation.

Regardless, I would think what matters is the levels with the pumps on.

This isn't an urgent issue. Your tank is fine for the moment. I would think you would want to add more saltwater to get the level up. But, let's see if others have some experiences to share that shed some light.

Rini

This did the trick. Added more water. And it is much more quiet now. A big difference. . So I filled the tank running till optimum level.
Thanks Pat!

Did you put the ato in the left (big) pump chamber?

Pat24601

This did the trick. Added more water. And it is much more quiet now. A big difference. . So I filled the tank running till optimum level.
Thanks Pat!

Did you put the ato in the left (big) pump chamber?

Glad it worked out. :)

Yes, I put the ATO in the left (big) pump chamber. But, others have placed it other places. I like it there as it isn't in the way of anything.

Rini

Probably the water level is steady there. I will put it there too tomorrow. Birds are waking up already. Trying to get a few hour sleep now.
Thanks much for your help. Probably I need it more often :)

Rini

We survive the night. Everything was still running this morning.
Have added the simple ATO in the left compartment. That water level is now stabile. Before i added saltwater yesterday that level was going up and down. Now it seems steady. So my ATO is in place.
25 liter RO water in the cabinet. So lets see how things go. During the night i will switch it off, since i do not feel confident enough to let it run while we snore :)

Few questions, wondering what people do.
With the C 250 came Sponge and some bags with stuff in it. Wondering if people use it directly during cycling, or wait till fish / corals are in?

Today i start with the red sea reef mature kit pro. Seems this speed up things a bit.

Pat24601

Glad to hear all went well!

The sponges are handled differently by different people (assuming you mean the two big black sponges). Some people put them, but clean them once a week and some people don't use them at all because if you don't clean them well once a week they can hurt your water quality. A lot of people use them for a while and then decide they aren't worth it and take them out. They are there to protect the pumps primarily.

Most of us use the bags of carbon that came with it while cycling and then switch to chemi pure elite when we out corals/fish in.

We have some people here that used the reef mature kit. I didn't so I can't comment well.

Rini

Thanks Pat.
Think i will start using the sponges. A lot of stuff floating in the water from the liferock. I want to keep the pumps for a while, so I better take care of them. Will clean them for sure 1 time a week or 2 times. Here in the NL on forums they say not to use it, since it are nitrate factory's. On the other hand, if they are that bad, why would Red Sea deliver it with a new tank?
When the lights are out later this evening will put the sponges in the chambers. And will put the 2 other bags in the media rack.

Further it looks like i'm going to follow the Red Sea Care program. Found a lot of useful video's on youtube. And for me as beginner it seems pretty easy to use, not to complicated.
Triton / DSR /Balling seems a bit too complicated for now. Perhaps when i'm more mature with the stuff in some years. :)

meanwhile i have started with the red sea reef mature pro. Have added the stuff as requested on the bottle. Didn't need to add coralline since my KH was 8.6.
PH 8.4.

It is an 21 day program. I'm on day 2 now.
Create an small sheet with Numbers (Apple's Excel to say).
Dutch for beginners:
Dag = Day
Opmerkingen = comments

Schermafbeelding 2015-06-29 om 14.53.52.png

On paper i'm at day 2 now. We are starting for serious now.

Pat24601

Sounds like you are off to a good start.

As an aside, you can certainly run your tank however you want, but my advice would be to hold off on using the Red Sea Reef Care program until you've spent a little more time with the aquarium and see if you need it. I try to dose (add things to the water) to my aquarium as little as possible as it's possible to do more harm than good. Regular water changes are really the thing that does a lot of good for your tank!

I think the reef mature pro kit you are using now is fine. We've had a few people use it here. Some of had great experiences and some a bit more mixed, but the bottom line is they got to where they needed to go just fine.

But, the reef care program for foundation, algae control, coral nutrition, and colors is a lot of stuff to be adding to the water. Maybe you want it and maybe you don't. I'd just suggest starting off assuming you don't need it and if you decide later you do that's fine.

Up to you, though. Just my opinion on this one. :) It's certainly OK to research it for now. You'll learn a lot just by learning what it is all about whether you decide to use it or not.

BTW, I do use the red sea reef foundation (ABC dosing). But, I don't use anything else. I've toyed with the others, but I don't currently use them. Mainly, I just didn't think my tank needed it and I try to use as few supplements as possible

Rini

Oh yes, it is soo much fun. Mine is just 2,5 year, but already addicted to watch the water. In some weeks when the water is mature we can add an Nemo or so. :)

About the red see program. For now i'm for sure not going to use it. The coming period (weeks and weeks) i'm not doing anything beside the reef mature cure.
In my Nano i'm just using water changes every week. 2 whole liters :) And I keep it pretty good alive.
So now and then i need to adjust the dKH or CA a bit. But most times the nano is running on auto pilot.

The simple ATO system does well, as far you can say in 2 days.

Schermafbeelding 2015-06-29 om 19.29.00.png

Pat24601

Oh yes, it is soo much fun. Mine is just 2,5 year, but already addicted to watch the water.

I loved the pic with her screwing in the screw and the one helping you pull the water.

My boys will get there. They are just a tad younger.