Anyone use the Red Sea Reef Mature Pro Kit to cycle their tank?

Salty150

From all of the research I have done - it seems to be the thing to use.

I also have been told that if you are going to use a dry rock - to keep the lights off during cycling and that allows a bio-film to develop over the dry rock that helps prevent the ugly algae from attaching to the rock.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
the best read I have seen on cycling...

http://reefsanctuary.com/forum/inde...on-cycling-breaking-in-a-new-reef-tank.26180/

I have never dosed anything (while cycling), just went with the "old school" add a couple deli shrimp & let them rot...

Cycling tank:

Watch for the ammonia to soar then fall to zero, then the nitrites soar & then fall to zero, then the nitrates soar, once this happens, do water changes to get rid of the nitrates - tank cycled

Depending on the state of your LR (how cured it was & how much die off it had), in general it will look something like this...

CyclingGraph.gif

Hope something here helps...

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
Hi Salty150, we recommend running your normal lighting cycle whilst using the Mature Pro KIt, there is an assumption you will use good quality live rock, if you use dry rock you will not get the benefit of the bacterial cultures already present in the live rock so you will need to modify the program time, just ensure the target ammonia and Nitrite are where we recommend for livestock introductions, you will need to give a few extra days between steps, the system will still cycle it will just take a little longer due to the lack of natural bacterial cultures normally found in the live rock.

Salty150

Hi Salty150, we recommend running your normal lighting cycle whilst using the Mature Pro KIt, there is an assumption you will use good quality live rock, if you use dry rock you will not get the benefit of the bacterial cultures already present in the live rock so you will need to modify the program time, just ensure the target ammonia and Nitrite are where we recommend for livestock introductions, you will need to give a few extra days between steps, the system will still cycle it will just take a little longer due to the lack of natural bacterial cultures normally found in the live rock.

Thanks for the reply!

Wouldn't the use of your Red Sea live sand "counteract" the non-use of live rock and the use of the base rock?

I really do not want all of the unwanted hitchhikers that come with live rock.

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
Hi Salty150, yes, the live sand would help a little but it won't close the gap of actual live rock bacterial diversity, you will get a good strong bacterial culture using the Mature Pro kit, even a very small amount of live rock will help with the natural cultures, you could even use rubble, you can even dip the small amount of live rock if you are concerned, whilst it'll knock the pests off you'll still get the benefit of the PHB's.

DaveK

From all of the research I have done - it seems to be the thing to use.

I also have been told that if you are going to use a dry rock - to keep the lights off during cycling and that allows a bio-film to develop over the dry rock that helps prevent the ugly algae from attaching to the rock.

You seem to really want to use this product. From looking at Red Sea's site, and several other posts on the web, I can't see any major advantage over getting a deli shrimp from the seafood counter at your local grocery store. I agree with @nanoreefing4fun on this one. Consider that excellent advice repeated.

The product will likely work, but personally, I'd put the $30 or so you'll spend on it toward better use.

As for the by RedSeaKev, keep in mind that he's representing the manufacturer.

RedSeaKev

RS Sponsor
Folks, the reality is this and its a simple one, I didn't recommend the Mature Pro kit to anyone, I have simply answered some questions that had arisen, there are many ways to cycle an aquarium and that is essentially up to the individual, the Mature Pro kit is an ideal starter program for anyone considering moving into our Reef Care Program as both programs use No3Po4-X, the Mature Program is perfect if this is what folks have in mind, failing this there are many many ways open to investigation, after all, I am simply trying to assist when it comes to questions about Red Sea products as I always try and help.

ziggy

Hi Salty150, yes, the live sand would help a little but it won't close the gap of actual live rock bacterial diversity, you will get a good strong bacterial culture using the Mature Pro kit, even a very small amount of live rock will help with the natural cultures, you could even use rubble, you can even dip the small amount of live rock if you are concerned, whilst it'll knock the pests off you'll still get the benefit of the PHB's.
very informative kev!

Pat24601

I'm not trying to "take sides" on the product.

Roy is the only one I've really tracked that have used it. My short summary of his experience is that it did likely help his tank cycle faster, but he also had to deal with pain in the rear other issues I never did, such as rampant green hair algae growth. Was that because of the product? I have no idea as certainly he's not the first reefer to get a lot of GHA. One person is too small a sample size to make a real decision on the product.

That said, until I see more people using it without issues, I'd probably stick with the tried and true. But, I also don't like to dose unless I know (or believe I know) the positives outweigh the negatives.

The bottom line, though, is in the long run you'll be fine either way. Just a matter of the path to get there.

BTW, Roys videos are absolutely a key reason I bought the Red Sea C-250. They are very good and very instructional. I'm basically very "pro" Red Sea as a company, just a bit skeptical on this product until I see more. If you use it, I'll follow your thread and you'll be example number 2 for me. :)

Last edited:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Cheers Kev for being active on RS & answering everyone's questions, very glad to have you active on the forum !

On cycling as everyone said ^ either way will work, there is no wrong way suggested in this thread

the "old school" method has worked for tens of 1000's and the new ways have too... some dose liquid ammonia, etc...

me I would buy another coral :clownfish:

ajkdark

I used the Mature Pro kit, worked just like the instructions said. I would recommend it. No, I don't work for Red Sea.

Cheers