Tangerine's 35gal Cube!

tangerine3486

Aloha! Good to be back on Reef Sanctuary. Had a biocube thread about 3 years ago, and a short build thread working through the setup.

After a long wait, it is all set up! 35 Gal Deep blue professional rimless cube with 20 Gal sump. In addition, I'm in Hawaii so no hard corals (except the 2 hitchiker corals that came with the live rock oh goody!) So it is a fish and zoa tank yay!

Running a LED lighting rig I made, and in the sump is a filter sock, purigen, chemipure elite, CAD lights PLS-100, refugium, chiller.

Have a Potters Wrasse, 2 Black clowns, a zebra blenny (from the tidepools), a yellow clown goby. Zebra hermits from the tide pools and a halloween hermit.

Initial fill: 11/8/14

Stand
IMG_20140322_093939_707.jpg

Almost there
IMG_20140412_154742_082.jpg

Boom
IMG_0482.JPG

I love maple syrup
IMG_0484.JPG

wooo hooo
IMG_2528.JPG

really bad sump I made ahha
IMG_2530.JPG

Chiller compartment is separate and open to prevent overheating
IMG_2531.JPG

zoas!
IMG_2555.JPG

Woo hooo! Wrasse is friends with the clowns!
IMG_2566.JPG

LEDS String 5 white, 5 blue, then a string with 3 UV, 1 cyan, 1 torquise.
IMG_2569.JPG

Fresh Hawaiin Zoas
IMG_2170edit.jpg

more
IMG_2167.JPG

More to come! Looking to add zoas and a shrimp.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Cheers for starting a tank thread and sharing & great to see you back on RS - very pretty & great start - welcome back to the game !

sirrealism

Great start. You stated. " I'm in Hawaii so no hard corals" Why? Are you not aloud to have them in Hawaii? Or are they very hard to get there? Great looking tank and I love the open stand for the chiller

tangerine3486

Great start. You stated. " I'm in Hawaii so no hard corals" Why? Are you not aloud to have them in Hawaii? Or are they very hard to get there? Great looking tank and I love the open stand for the chiller
Thanks! The stand was a fun project while I waited to set up the tank.

Not allowed to have them here. You cannot frag or own hard corals, or take rock from the ocean. Live rock is man made and then placed in a tide pool. You can frag zoas and blue star polyps, and maybe a leather coral. that's about it. But lots of fish to have. The potter's wrasse is a local fish and the zebra blenny came straight from a tide pool! As did the zebra hermits, and the baby cowry that is hiding somewhere.

Thanks Nancy!

tangerine3486

Hey everyone! Got some updates. Also warning, i like pictures.
So, being in hawaii i have completely removed my heater, as temperature stays between 73 and 79 in the tank. In the summer, I will get more use of the chiller I think. Until then, tank is enjoying whatever it would be in the ocean. Think that is a little different than most of the mainland, but I'm also now using ocean water. Either from the tide pools (not stagnent water) or marina. Any contaminents will get removed with the chemipure. The tank loves it though. Noticed a burst in spread of coarline and in zoa babys, oysters open wide. Also a bit different.

Picked up a few more things, and started a frag tank. Picked up a manderin goby and two cleaner shrimp! The goby is going to be a challange, still trying to observe him eating the mysis/brine. Hope he fares well. Cleaner shrimp are out of season, so did not expect to get any until the summer but they had some today so I got them! woo hoo! Also got a strawberry crab, who does some good work at night. All of the zoas have started taking hold to the rocks on their own, which is awesome.

At the tide pools I got some zoas wooot! and a pretty sweet nudibranch, and bristle star. Nudibranch is huge and a little big for tank, will go to store. Pic later. LFS owner said he would buy stuff off of us that we collect/aquaculture, which is why we are making a frag tank and trips to the tide pools. Possibly not very profitableif at all, but hey, something to do on the side ya know.

standard pic of cleaners
IMG_3074.JPG

coraline on the back wall. Sign of a healthy tank yeah?
IMG_3078.JPG

blue star pollyps. Hawaiian special.
IMG_3082.JPG

baby frag rack in sump. zoa time.
IMG_3087.JPG

need more room! Will split these up. plus zebra blenny! Need to name him soon.
IMG_3094.JPG

Zoas I collected today. Yeah. Maybe i'm off, but I'm pretty excited about these. Solid pink.
IMG_3099.JPG

Low cost frag tank. Under bed storage with big rubbermaid as sump. I'll let you know how it works. Should be legit. Planning on t5 since it will be zoa heavy. Sump on recirc for now until next weekend.
IMG_20150111_195416_760.jpg

Thats it for now. :)

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
OH MY GOLLY GOSH!! Those zoa's are amazing!! :drooool::bugout: The green skirt and pinky red ones are completely amazing, if you ever try shipping to Australia PLEASE let me know :p :laughroll

tangerine3486

Thanks! fish here are plentiful and pretty inexpensive. The shpments from the phillippenes and christmas and such are much closer than the mainland so a little bit fresher stock, but the hawaiian fish are awesome. Alright I like pictures. Sorry!
Blenny just loving up on his zoas. He sleeps wedged up on them and is adorable.
IMG_3283.JPG

Found some zoas the other day! Some PE and some matting zoas.
Top three are some matting zoas I found.

IMG_3328.JPG

These are a green mint color.

And some PEs

IMG_3341.JPG

Interesting dark ones.
IMG_3336.JPG

These are cool, off white/pink. But I only got 3 as well, so I hope this one starts growing!
IMG_3334.JPG

Frags of some that I bought.
IMG_3338.JPG

IMG_3324.JPG

IMG_3316.JPG

I also found this guy. Pretty cool. Big Nudibranch that comes out at night and just dances and crawls over stuff.
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/...6107789877100561042&oid=101823980902095717642

Last edited:

tangerine3486

Hey all! Been about a month. All is well with the tanks. Healthy fish and zoa growth. Had some start to an algae bloom in both tanks but was able to take care of it.

Found more zoas at the tide pools, these ones are pretty cool too. Interesting zoas here in hawaii!

IMG_3509.JPG

Very bright, I hope the colors hold in the tank!

IMG_3463.JPG

now have a few of these with the spots in a circle around the mouth. cool.

IMG_3523.JPG

Manderin has been eating and doing well with the tank mates.

IMG_3522.JPG

41oAmX96vbmxDr0aPZBLDyMheZ7XvCrEZXr0pv4ocw=s1249-no

Zoa tastic. Hope it really fills out! In time.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Holy crap!!! :D They are amazing zoa's and you take some wicked shots too!! Filters or just WB adjustments?? :)

Can't wait to see your zoa rock grow out!! You're in the same spot as me lol just started my zoa rock too!

reefle

I love zoas...you dont know how jealous I am that you can just find them in Hawaii and pluck em up!!!

very awesome pics! keep it up!

Aloha!

I was wondering which tidepool you went to to harvest your Zoas. I live on Oahu and would love to be able to harvest a colony or so for myself instead of buying one from my LFS for $40 a pop.

Also, I went on the DNLR website and I didn't see anything about possessing stony coral, just taking/selling them. I think you can own LPS and SPS, you just can't harvest them from Hawaii waters or sell them. So you would have to buy them and ship them to Hawaii. Please correct me if I'm wrong because I was thinking of buying coral from the mainland...

Nice tank! Love the pictures!

Last edited: