Refugium - must have, nice to have or luxury?

My tank is about a week old and I am trying to plan ahead.

A number of threads talk about the above and installing one as your first cycle comes to an end.

I have a Fluval M90 so sump is in the back therefore choices are limited.

So the question is should I go for it and get one along with installing carbon (I have a mixture of filter sponges to date) or should I consider something else as a better option?

If you use one or thinking of using one I would be very interested in your experience or view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Hmm i'm not sure if I totally follow you, what are you considering? A hang on back refugium like the CPR ones?

Hmm i'm not sure if I totally follow you, what are you considering? A hang on back refugium like the CPR ones?

I have seen one by innovative Marine that fits in the back of your sump (within a media basket) and uses an LED light. I will attach a link and picture later, as using my phone.

Looks good and watched you tube video too.

Snid

I have a Refugium and I am pleased with it so far. Mine is a DIY add-on to an in cabinet Sump underneath the DT, so I can't really say anything about how one could work in your system with its Sump in rear design. You have limited space to work with back there, so it might not be worth the effort because it might be too small for your system. And any HOB Refugiums are pretty much for show more than anything, their effectiveness due to size is limited.

Here's a good read...

Successfulreefkeeping - Refugium

I have a Refugium and I am pleased with it so far. Mine is a DIY add-on to an in cabinet Sump underneath the DT, so I can't really say anything about how one could work in your system with its Sump in rear design. You have limited space to work with back there, so it might not be worth the effort because it might be too small for your system. And any HOB Refugiums are pretty much for show more than anything, their effectiveness due to size is limited.

Here's a good read...

Successfulreefkeeping - Refugium

A very good read and really explains the why and what, which is exactly what I was looking for. I like the idea and the benefits are worthwhile for sure. As you say the issue for me is will it be big enough to make a difference.

Thanks for your help!

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Yeah I think your issue will be having one that will be big enough to make a difference.

Yeah I think your issue will be having one that will be big enough to make a difference.

I attach a link for the IM Magnafuge LED refugium that is placed in back of sump, what do you think?

http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co...=3f942d47347bc598d521ce25db69b371#prettyPhoto

There is also a video on you tube, about 2:20 mins in and lasts about 1 minute -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtTsOAdj7No

Not convinced it would be big enough for a 125L tank but if I loaded all 3 shelves in media basket could it be enough, hard for me to judge as I have no experience of this.

DSophia

What pushed me over the edge was the idea of a "show refugium". There's so much life that happens, or has the potential of happening, in a refugium and its really cool to watch. Put this in with the ability to soak up some nitrates and phosphates and it becomes very worth the investment. My biggest problem was I couldn't find a design I liked, so I built my own. I'm hoping to post a thread with a few more pictures, once I figure out how, but here's the finished product.

TsyY7ctY2lncpr-XV5_Nidkpra0j4VWgg9vpUaVmiXU=w1461-h1095-no

@daophia, wow that is a show refugium if ever I saw one. Could easily be a show tank! What does your main tank look like?

Looking forward to seeing pics and thread!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
@daophia, wow that is a show refugium if ever I saw one. Could easily be a show tank! What does your main tank look like?

Looking forward to seeing pics and thread!
Wow! ^^^That's what I was thinking! I added my sump/refugium for added volume and to house a better skimmer in. Started out looking like a "show room" but has turned out to be a Cheatomophoria & pod palace that don't look so pretty but adds plenty of benefits to my system.
It went from this:
null_zpsff5c8313.jpg

To this:
42d505c9852cd1a0f5928188299647ec_zps0fe638f8.jpg

The only bad part of having one (as far as I have found) is the little bit of added maintance it creates.
But the benefits to my system seem to be worth it :)

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Oh, the 3 chromis in the beginning were there just to "break in" & seed my refugium...they used it for 3 weeks and then I moved them to the display tank where they have lived happily ever after :D

Choff

That is one hot fuge! I need more Picts to further understand how the water is flowing in that bad boy.

Def need DT tank Picts

I love my display fuge even though it's in the basement. It is a true refugium. It is a place for me to grow pods, feeder macro algae and keep some pets that can't go in my display.

...stupid auto correct

DSophia

Here's from design to prototype and a few more after completion. It's 8gal that gravity feeds back to a 34gal cube DT. The inlet is split to both side chambers and then angled down to create even flow and mixture. The drain is a 5" slit in the center back of the tank that drains to a box and 3/4" tubing that dumps back into the DT. I designed the drain last, I wanted it to be silent and efficiently skim the surface water. It was kind of a gamble but works beautifully. Thanks for all your interest.

I'm in the process of updating the DT but I'll get some pics up sometime today.

Screen%2BShot%2B2014-10-26%2Bat%2B8.54.48%2BPM.png

IMG_4235.jpg

IMG_4392.JPG

IMG_4397.JPG

IMG_4381.JPG

MgdDjWKqBE4x-oaes7Z8jhsT1Kt2UYCf_bnylUdovHs=w1760-h1026-no
[/QUOTE]

Oh, the 3 chromis in the beginning were there just to "break in" & seed my refugium...they used it for 3 weeks and then I moved them to the display tank where they have lived happily ever after :D

Wow for very different reasons.

Must really help MT with that amount of growth. Do you need to turn it over every so often or does it take care if itself. What does MT look like?

Here's from design to prototype and a few more after completion. It's 8gal that gravity feeds back to a 34gal cube DT. The inlet is split to both side chambers and then angled down to create even flow and mixture. The drain is a 5" slit in the center back of the tank that drains to a box and 3/4" tubing that dumps back into the DT. I designed the drain last, I wanted it to be silent and efficiently skim the surface water. It was kind of a gamble but works beautifully. Thanks for all your interest.

I'm in the process of updating the DT but I'll get some pics up sometime today.

MgdDjWKqBE4x-oaes7Z8jhsT1Kt2UYCf_bnylUdovHs=w1760-h1026-no
[/QUOTE]

Looking forward to seeing DT.

When I see tanks of the month they are great looking but often very similar. Your fug would stand a chance of winning just on design and if it was a main tank with corals and fish to match it I am sure it would win.

Thanks for sharing

Choff

Thanks for explaining, I couldn't get my head around the water level thinking the sides were the drains. Great design. Nice gentle flow, good aeration, no chance of any surface oils collecting. I love it.

Did you build it yourself? That's some nice acrylic work. Did you cut and polish or custom order the pieces? I love this stuff :D

...stupid auto correct

DaveK

This is one of the most interesting designs I've seen for a refugium. I'm wondering how hard it will be to clean, but it sure does come across as a show piece. It's also a very functional design.

Last edited:

DSophia

Thanks guys! Yes I built it myself, couldn't find anyone to do it for me. What is tank of the month? Something on this forum?
I've got a shop full of equipment for building homes, so I tend to get myself into things like this. Let me know if anyone is interested in having me build one. Not that I could do it commercially or anything but I do have all the equipment to do so.

I have to apologize because my DT is still under construction. It's a small tank but needed a few upgrades and coral that should be ready tomorrow... It'll be worth the wait though... I hope, lol

DSophia

Almost forgot... cleaning so far has been a breeze, I'm still waiting for a flaw in the design but its got just enough room to scrub every inch. I use a paint stir stick with a soft sponge on the end to get the inlet sections, but other than that its been good to me.

Choff

I keep coming back to this thread to look at the tank. Such a great stylish small tank design. That would make a great office tank.

...stupid auto correct