Chaetomorpha

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Once again (already!!) it's time clear out LOTS OF Chaetomorpha from my refugium:
42d505c9852cd1a0f5928188299647ec_zps0fe638f8.jpg

Here's my QUESTION:
Is it OK to donate the excess Chaeto to a LFS at a time that I "might" still have Bryopsis in my DT?
The Bryopsis is not visible any longer ( :yehoo: ) in my DT....seems manual removal may have worked but I can't be for sure. I just don't see any anywhere.
I hate to waste such beautiful Chaetomorpha.
What do you think?
Throw it out or give it away? :fishy: Is it safe to give it away? :dunno:

Creekview

Wow that's a lot! I usually barter for stuff at the LFS. Chaeto is worth something! Probably full of 'pods, too. A baseball size ball usually goes for $10-15 on eBay.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Totally agree with Creekview, I'd make sure I got some sort of store credit from the LFS. I'm sure they are selling it to their customers for profit. At least the ones around my area do. I wouldn't let the byropsis in your tank sway me one way or the other.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Well: If anyone needs to start some in their refugium (it grows too fast for a display tank)
PM me and I'd be more than happy to send it for the cost of US Priorty (2-3 day flat rate) shipping. Shipping is from Oklahoma...if there's no way getting it to you in 2-3 days, I won't mail it to you, sorry.
I seriously hate to throw it out. I tossed it out last time after trying to save the micro brittle stars out of it.
I'm sure it is loaded with copepods, they are always on the acrylic walls of my refugium.
Just BE AWARE that the water that runs through my refugium also runs through my DT & I have no idea if it would be safely free from Byropsis.
I probably have enough to ship out 3 good size bags right now.
You need to let me know soon because my refugium about runnith over :yup:

OneFishTwoFish

PREMIUM
Diana, approximately how large (L x W x H) is the area in your picture ? How long did it take for the Chaeto to grow to its present size ?
Thank You
---Frank

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Diana, approximately how large (L x W x H) is the area in your picture ? How long did it take for the Chaeto to grow to its present size ?
Thank You
---Frank
Frank, I have had to "harvest" the Cheato several times already....my refugium is 14x18x18 @15 gal capacity.
It started out looking like this:
null_zpsff5c8313.jpg

I let my 3 Chromis addition "seed" for a few weeks...then moved them to my DT & let the chaeto & pods take over the refugium. The picture of the chaeto growth was taken from above but it fills the entire depth.
The stuff grows fast. I added my LifeReef sump/fuge in November 2013.

andreefs

PREMIUM
Newbie Question, I am getting my 28gal jbj reef tank started today with water, how soon should I start my refugium with chaetomorpha algea ? Before or after my tank cycles?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Newbie Question, I am getting my 28gal jbj reef tank started today with water, how soon should I start my refugium with chaetomorpha algea ? Before or after my tank cycles?

Are you asking about adding a seperate refugium?
If so, I'd say, add the refugium as soon as possible.
I purchased a LifeReef sump/refugium and added it online when my tank was nearly a year matured.
Then had a really bad Cyanobacteria growth in the newly added refugium. It lasted a long time :mad:
Chaeto is not hard to grow, it should do well from the start.
How large is the refugium you are adding?
Have you started a tank thread for your JBJ 28gal?