MAX LED Lighting

steveh

We would like to thank everyone who has enquired about the forthcoming LED Lighting upgrades and the all-new MAX-E and MAX-S LED systems, which were previewed at Interzoo in June. Interzoo is a trade show which occurs every 2 years. It is therefore common practice for manufacturers' to show concepts and pre-production designs which often still take some time to reach the consumer market.

Rather than continually post that we will update people when information becomes available regarding specification, availability, pricing, compatibility etc, we shall provide launch information (when available) to everyone who has subscribed to the newsletter via our website www.redseafish.com
Please note that until we issue the information officially and to our newsletter subscribers, we would encourage everyone to ignore rumours and suppositions. We are obviously as keen as you are to introduce the new LED offering, but will only do so when we are sure everything is properly tested and is ready for our key markets.
We will not be updating this post until we have something to report. We shall not be showing the E-Series or MAX-S LED at the forthcoming MACNA show.
Thanks for your continued interest, and happy reefing.

Last edited:

adamsfour

We appreciate your desire to not spread rumors but Red Sea created the rumor mill when it displayed the new lighting in Germany. The only real way to stop the flow of miss information is to give us more information. Clearly there is more or you wouldn't have shown it in Germany. More info please?

Choff

My guess is the big reveal will be at MACNA at the end of the month.

...stupid auto correct

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Excellent thread Steve! Thanks for keeping things up to date and informed. This is a VERY exciting time for anyone who is a fan of ResSea products and services :)

*subscribed*

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
My guess is the big reveal will be at MACNA at the end of the month.

...stupid auto correct

My guess is Mike is exactly right. It's so close now we can almost taste it LOL

MACNA should be AMAZING for those who are fortunate enough to get there this year (not me :( )

Wolffman64

I do appreciate the start of this thread, but I do disagree with RS being allowed to close someone else's thread (Naj117). Isn't that a bit out of line to have person1 closing person2's thread without person1's approval? Not really following the otherwise great standards of this site....:(

steveh

Fair point and no offense intended. We are simply trying to avoid frustrating those who are looking for more details, and thought that having this one thread would save everyone some time. When we have more info we shall be sending it first via our newsletter to subscribers, and thereafter through the usual digital media with Reef Sanctuary obviously being right up there as a priority. We won't be posting further on this thread and will set a new one when we have information for you all.

LakeLivin

I think most of us understand all the nitty gritty answers like availability and pricing will take some time because as Red Sea said before it won't be until next year. Consequently, we don't expect to get that info until a month or two prior to release.

What most of us are waiting to hear is if Red Sea plans to sell an LED kit for current Max-S tanks and if so will it be a total swap out hood or will there be a retrofit kit to install into current MAX-S series hoods. Lastly, what controller(s) will they be compatible with (if any) and what light colors, wattage and configurations.

Having already shown the new MAX-S tank LED prototype in Germany a couple months ago would lead most to believe some of these questions are most likely answered at this point.

I would have preferred they said nothing until they were ready. We go from we think LED's essentially stink and T5's with all their faults are the best for growing to.... Surprise, here is a new totally LED MAX-s series tank we are going to release next year. So you will have to forgive me for not being in love with Red Seas approach to making announcements about new tanks without seeming to have first figured out the basic business plan for development and distribution of a new product.

My T5's will have run their normal life cycle by Dec 2014 and if I don't have some encouraging news by then on what to expect with Red Sea and LED's for current owners I will seek out a different vendor for my lighting needs.

adamsfour

Totally agree. Also since most of us have seen the Germany video but don't speak German we really don't know what was said. I am sure they have a plan for retro fitting for existing customer hood but I too would like to know the extent of the surgery and how difficult it will be.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I do appreciate the start of this thread, but I do disagree with RS being allowed to close someone else's thread (Naj117). Isn't that a bit out of line to have person1 closing person2's thread without person1's approval? Not really following the otherwise great standards of this site....:(

Wolf man that was my call not one by Red Sea at all. If you have any problem with that or any other decision about Reef Sanctuary please feel free to take it up with me privately.

With that being said the other thread will be re-opened so long as the topic stays civil and courteous.

Allen

Wolffman64

Mate, didn't mean to offend anybody, neither you nor Steve, just felt a bit sorry for Naj and the guys feeding into the thread.

No hard feelings from me :clink:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Mate, didn't mean to offend anybody, neither you nor Steve, just felt a bit sorry for Naj and the guys feeding into the thread.

No hard feelings from me :clink:

No hard feelings at all my friend. Sometimes "written" communication is very hard to get a feel for the emotion behind it. I just wanted to make sure everyone understood I made that call and to avoid any fall-out going towards Steve or RedSea.

It's all good and at the end of the day we're all friends here just trying to help each other out :)

Wolffman64

Fully agree, this is the best and by far most helpful reefsite I have found. Have recommended it to many people that either have tanks or thinking about getting one.

CDMSeaLife

I'm sort of feeling like the step child here, with my brand new RSM 250 C. There is no mention of us loyal 250 or 130 tank owners only the S series. I'm sincerely hoping we will not be left behind in the LED upgrades Red Sea is considering.

Pat24601

I'm sort of feeling like the step child here, with my brand new RSM 250 C. There is no mention of us loyal 250 or 130 tank owners only the S series. I'm sincerely hoping we will not be left behind in the LED upgrades Red Sea is considering.

I have this exact same concern. I guess I'll wait and see. I won't be happy if we are left out...

LakeLivin

Let's just pretend Red Sea's position on LED's has not changed and proceed accordingly. If and when they release an LED conversion kit for any of their current tank series we will all just be pleasantly surprised.

I for one plan to have a closer look at the new mounting kit for the Radions that is due out this month or next. My current T5 bulbs are due to be replaced in December so the timing should be perfect if it turns out the new brackets can be easily adapted to a Red Sea tank. I'll keep my "old" hood just in case Red Sea should surprise us with a quality LED conversion kit somewhere down the road.

Pat24601

Let's just pretend Red Sea's position on LED's has not changed and proceed accordingly. If and when they release an LED conversion kit for any of their current tank series we will all just be pleasantly surprised.

I for one plan to have a closer look at the new mounting kit for the Radions that is due out this month or next. My current T5 bulbs are due to be replaced in December so the timing should be perfect if it turns out the new brackets can be easily adapted to a Red Sea tank. I'll keep my "old" hood just in case Red Sea should surprise us with a quality LED conversion kit somewhere down the road.

I don't think I can just ignore that Red Sea may or not have an LED upgrade kit available for me as it does impact my purchase decision and I don't really want to buy 2 different versions of LED lights within a year. My wife would kill me!

Basically, where I am is I would like LEDs. I don't *need* them, but I think they are cool in multiple ways.

Steve's LEDs are out for me. I've looked at the installation instructions and I'm just too intimidated by them. I fear I'd screw up my system. :)

If the new radions are awesome, that might be viable. I haven't looked into it yet.

I presume if Red Sea comes out with a retrofit, that would be the best possible solution. I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that it would be a great fit with my tank and designed to work well with everything else I have.

Until I know one way or another if Red Sea is going to have a solution for me (and if I like that solution), it more or less puts "on hold" anything else I might do--including radions. As I "hope" that they do come out with something and that it's a great solution for me.

If I knew right now that wasn't true, I'd definitely be looking at the radions more closely. But, i don't want to buy them now and then wish I had waited because Red Sea comes out with something better.

This is all a common product release problem. So, i don't begrudge Red Sea per se, but I definitely hope I'm included in their upgrade retrofit plans and not excluded.

Mark9

Has been struck by the ban stick
The switch to radions looks appealing, but man are they expensive.
And i've looked into the pro's & the xr30w, and i still have no idea what the difference is.
I need the layman's explanation.

Joeys Tank

Jolly good afternoon, Pat.

I retrofitted my tank with Steve's LEDs and I fully understand your apprehension with the installation. I am very happy with mine (my tank thread has some of the installation discussion). If you do decide to go down this route, rest easily knowing that some of us have done this and we can help talk you through the installation.

Pat24601

Jolly good afternoon, Pat.

I retrofitted my tank with Steve's LEDs and I fully understand your apprehension with the installation. I am very happy with mine (my tank thread has some of the installation discussion). If you do decide to go down this route, rest easily knowing that some of us have done this and we can help talk you through the installation.

Thanks, Joey, it may be one of those things that isn't as bad doing it as it looks on paper instructions. :) I'll seriously consider that!