ToeSloth's Serenity! RSM 130D

Choff

Dude...before I can begin to digest your build I have to know about your handle! Lol WTF is a Toesloth?? I love it... I think. ;D

...stupid auto correct

ToeSloth

Well since you asked it has to do with a nickname I got for having a elongated second toe on my feet (aka Roman Toe) when I was in the Air Force many years ago now. My roommate claimed that I didn't need the ladder to get to my bunk because I used my sloth claws to climb up the wooden side. It was more of an inside joke really.

When email and systems that required login came around I was trying to come up with something different that I knew no one would ever compete with me on.... Problem we was believe it or not some had SlothToe on AIM chat and so I reversed it. For my first email addresses I used it as well for Yahoo and then Hotmail. So I use it in games I play and forums now mostly.

And to keep this post at least tank related here is my latest addition.

F118B10F-852D-422B-9548-549E8AE2340C_zps4sg5ja7l.jpg

ToeSloth

Wow! been a few days since I posted! The smart ATO is working great if anyone wanted an update. I was going my weekly maintenance this morning and realized that I never cleaned out the back chamber when I moved my tank which means it had been over 6 months. Can you say 5 gallons of black water and chips of coraline! I really should have taken a picture but I would have been embarrassed for sure!

I found a small crack in the Turbofloater 500 membrane again so I pulled that out and applied some Weld-on #16 to fix that, so I will be running without my skimmer for the next 24 hours. If it doesn't work this time I will replace the body as the cost is $40.

I also decided that the impeller needed replacing so I went out to Aqua Medic to order the parts. I found it but I also found that they took the feedback that users had given them and came up with a universal holder that will work perfect with the StevieT media rack - http://www.aqua-medic.com/product/t-blue-500-universal-holder/ - at $17.99 that sure is a lot cheaper than the $50 plus I spent on the Tunze clips and magnets. It also looks to have taken into consideration that the body gets smaller as it goes down which always caused me issues with getting the skimmer to stay in the right place.

timthumb.php

ToeSloth

So the crack in the skimmer membrane is fixed and the skimmer is working much better! I got the universal holder in and posted a separate thread about it here so that it will be easy to find for others later if they are looking. It will be interesting to see how that turns out later this evening.

I also sold my RKL Plus and Net module and bought the Apex Lite. I have it all running out to the Internet but I haven't hooked it up to run anything important yet as I want to get a label maker and do it up proper before I mount it inside my cabinet.

I also picked up a Aqueon 2.5 Mini Bow and some LR rubble ( I have a small piece of Chaeto to throw in as well) to grow so copepods. I'm hoping that this plus the seeding I did in my main tank will allow me to get a dragonet at some point but I' not willing to do so until I know I can feed the little guy.

I have a chromis in my tank now (since Monday and he is doing fine so far) The kids loved watching the cleaner shrimp do his thing on the fish and I must admit that it was neat seeing that in my own tank.

The algae bloom is going good but has leveled off somewhat. I ordered a full CuC from reef cleaners and that will ship on the 30th.

Hope everyone is doing well and I will post some more shots of the skimmer mount later on this evening or tomorrow morning.

ToeSloth

Here is a couple if shots now that the tank has the CuC added and things are nice and steady. Doing weekly 5gal water changes and parameters look decent. I will be looking to add another fish after MLK holiday weekend when I get back from NY. Until then the tisbe pod growing is in full effect in the main and the 2.5 gallon mini-bow with Chaeto. I also ordered a 6700k led light for the pod tank.

ypyzubev.jpg

y4y4ata7.jpg

If your interested my tank stocking list is looking like a cryptic wrasse, a pair of orange skunk clowns, and a green target mandarin to go along with my green/blue Chromis.

The wrasse is most likely the next fish to go in followed by the pair of clowns and the finally the mandarin. Thoughts?

For coral I'm looking at zoas and ricordia for the most part. I will probably add a hammer and or frogspawn as well. I'm not sure when I will start adding the corals to the mix but my guess is after the wrasse.

Best,

Chris

ToeSloth

I purchased the Radion Gen 2 led's and a Reeflink last evening. Picking it up Tuesday night.

I plan on mounting the LEDs inside the hood as I decided I like the closed look too much. I will take lots of pictures.

I'm not 100% sure which method I'm going to use to mount it inside as I have seen three ways done, bolts through the good being the most secure I'm sure. I may try industrial Velcro first and see how it works since I'm leaving the lens in place.

scott7975

Here is a couple if shots now that the tank has the CuC added and things are nice and steady. Doing weekly 5gal water changes and parameters look decent. I will be looking to add another fish after MLK holiday weekend when I get back from NY. Until then the tisbe pod growing is in full effect in the main and the 2.5 gallon mini-bow with Chaeto. I also ordered a 6700k led light for the pod tank.

ypyzubev.jpg

y4y4ata7.jpg

If your interested my tank stocking list is looking like a cryptic wrasse, a pair of orange skunk clowns, and a green target mandarin to go along with my green/blue Chromis.

The wrasse is most likely the next fish to go in followed by the pair of clowns and the finally the mandarin. Thoughts?

For coral I'm looking at zoas and ricordia for the most part. I will probably add a hammer and or frogspawn as well. I'm not sure when I will start adding the corals to the mix but my guess is after the wrasse.

Best,

Chris

Man, I really love your rock scape. Well done!

ToeSloth

So looking to see if the pods were doing there thing in the DT my son saw this feather duster so we took a quick video with the Celestron USB digital microscope.

I love seeing the pod growth already even know my Chromis is having a field day picking them off the back glass since I guess he "sees" them better.

Best,

Chris

Last edited:

ToeSloth

really nice video! How small would you say it is?

It was about the size of my thumbnail I would guess. I assume these are ok for the tank from what I have read. Sounds like crabs and some wrasses will eat the worms sometimes so I guess we will see how long it lasts.

I'm letting the algae on the glass go for a few days as well so I don't mess with the pods as they multiply.

ToeSloth

UPS showed up with my Radion at the LFS today while the main guy was out getting lunch so I will have to wait till tomorrow at least to start the hood destruction project!

Anybody else notice the Apex Fusion code showing up today - They must be getting close to open beta!

Best,

Chris

ToeSloth

Picked up the Reeflink and the Radion. Updated rev firmware on both and configured the light with one of the default patterns and selected the option to increase the intensity over 4 weeks. Probably play with some more before I get it over the tank.

I don't plan on ripping the top apart until Friday or Saturday since I need time to get this done.

Best,

Chris

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
How'd the upgrade go mate?? Any new pics under the new lights if you got them done? :)