Stomatella Snails

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Who has them & where'd you get them from??

Mine was out this morning when the lights came on...He is really growing.
I'd like to have more of them but don't know where to get them from :ponder2:
Here's my favorite hitchhiker:
null_zpsfed3d1a7.jpg
[/IMG]

ReefApprentice

awild_zps86138d78.jpg

Got mine as hitchhikers. Love them! My peppermint shrimp wiped all but 1 out in my 90 gallon. The last one is at least 4 inches. The picture is of my "backup one" in the nano.They usually come in as hitchhikers. Don't know of any place to buy them:dunno:

Oxylebius

Had one for about 3 years, used to broadcast spawn, but the peppermint shrimp ate it, I found the empty half shell on the sand :(
It was a hitchhiker

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
if you dont have predators that eat them, they'll reproduce all on their own. What part of OK are you in Danna?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
if you dont have predators that eat them, they'll reproduce all on their own. What part of OK are you in Danna?
I had TWO stomies...but one hitchhiked to my kids house when I took them a large piece of coral :(
I didn't have the heart to tell them they couldn't keep it...so now mine needs a new mate.
I got my Scolymia from them & I'm not giving it back so I hate to be stingy with a snail :yup:
Anyway, I want at least one more AND WHY CAN'T WE FIND THEM??

I'm in the SW corner (mountains) of OK....close to Ft.Smith AR.
Just a Okie HillBilly trying to grow my own ocean here :D

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Ok, so now I'm thinking I'm going to drive back (1:45min) to their house & get my snail back.
I think it's my only chance to have more stomies. If I get them started in my tank I think I'll share them with others. I just can't believe if the reproduce so well....Where's the supply at?

Does anyone have bunches of them in their tank or is it a myth that they easily reproduce in our tanks? :dunno:

ReefApprentice

They do breed a lot........I had 2 then all of the sudden their population exploded and there were 1/8inch stomies all over my tank when it was newly set up.
Id section off a small rock and add a Tupperware or something to get them to breed then start selling them.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
They do breed a lot........I had 2 then all of the sudden their population exploded and there were 1/8inch stomies all over my tank when it was newly set up.
Id section off a small rock and add a Tupperware or something to get them to breed then start selling them.

If I EVER get another one!! I don't think there's anyway of keeping them in a bowl :LOL: they move like greased lightening :snowski: and I never saw both of them at the same time :(
I'm hoping SOMEONE comes by this thread & sheds some Stomatella joy by telling us they have tons of them :D
It's just crazy to me that we can only get them as hitchhikers ....I don't want to buy anymore LR. I fear other HH.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Hummm....:ponder2: it might be costly to ship snails. But I bet they are fairly hearty as most are gotten in shipped with live rock. Still, to me...I just want to understand why we can't order them like we do other snails????

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I have tons of em. I dont have any shrimp or anything in my tank. Im not apposed to shipping some, but what sorta shipping? Overnight would be a bit expensive. priority flat would be doable. Yes, they do reproduce easily. I started with 6 or 8 that hichiked in on LR...now i prob have dozens in each tank. When i go to pulling rock, or moving frags etc, i find bunches and bunches of little ones everywhere. They LOVE the rubble in my sump.

Akshay

I didn't even know I had a Stomatella Snail, till you told me what it was! :idea::makefun:
But reading all these comments, now am thinking its gonna be a meal for one of my shrimps...

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I have TWO red stripe Cleaner Shrimp and the have never bothered mine so far. And it makes it's way around my tank often so I'm thinking they aren't interested in the Stomatella. I did have a pain in the butt coral banded shrimp but he got a FREE ride back to the LSF before he killed anything except for my peppermint shrimp, CBS got him. I think I won't ever mess with getting anymore shrimps.
This FALL (when not too hot or too cold) would be a good time to ship a snail or two. I'd be willing to trade 5 to one for micro-brittle stars :stars: (I have them out the was-zoo!). Should have my sump up and running this Fall also so I can try raising a bunch of Stomies :D

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
(Meaning I'd send you 5 (or 10!) stars for one snail ddlozier ) :yup: When the weather stays cooled off.
Unless you have stars out the waa-zoo already & don't want anymore. These are little white ones:
null_zpsa0650b37.jpg
[/IMG]

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
thats a worthwhile trade to me. I could easily part with a dozen of these stomatella. Not hard at all. I could use these little stars. ive tried more than once to introduce them. I duno that i have had success. Never see em after i put em in.

ReefApprentice

thats a worthwhile trade to me. I could easily part with a dozen of these stomatella. Not hard at all. I could use these little stars. ive tried more than once to introduce them. I duno that i have had success. Never see em after i put em in.

You usually see them waving their arms in the rockwork at night or when they sense food. They stay quite confined to the rockwork. I have seen that bristle worms will eat them.........that's why I hate bristle worms.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
As soon as the lights of the tank go out, these little stars start climbing up the tank glass & my sand bed start looking alive with them. If I leave my mag-float low in the tank, I have to get them off it before using it :D
null_zps2e01d091.jpg
[/IMG]

Oxylebius

I would love to have stomatella snails again, but I finally got a hold of a peppermint shrimp that eats aiptasia and this pep is the one that took out my stomatella snail, so I will pass until the pep passes away.... I was just playing with the idea of having some shipped to me. It would be nice to have them again, but my tank is currently a death trap for them.... AND I live too far for a day trip to pick some up ;)