Beginner - looking @ Red Sea Max 250

ajbang

Hi Everyone,

First time reefer here just getting started on hobby...

Do you guys think I need a chiller and auto top off device to start off??

Also can these be added while maintaining the aesthetic look of the tank (i/e no bulging pipes sticking out everywhere)... If anyone has pics of these setups I'd greatly appreciate it...

Thanks,

Anthony

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Hi Everyone,

First time reefer here just getting started on hobby...

Do you guys think I need a chiller and auto top off device to start off??

Also can these be added while maintaining the aesthetic look of the tank (i/e no bulging pipes sticking out everywhere)... If anyone has pics of these setups I'd greatly appreciate it...

Thanks,

Anthony

Welcome to RS!! Whether you require a chiller will depend on where you live and the ambient temperature in the room that will have the tank. I will say most members with a 250 are running chillers.

Search this forum, the RSM has a chiller accessory panel on the rear of the tank for the lines that go to and from the chiller, so there are no bulging lines and it maintains the aesthetic of the tank.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Oh yeah, the ATO although not mandatory helps keep the level in the skimmer constant thus making it easier to dial in the skimmer.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
No chiller or ato here (though both are nice additions) ... I run my RSM 250 stock, ambient temp over 100F common here were I live in the summers, we do run the air conditioning keeping it at 73F.

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread when you get a tank & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
No chiller or ato here (though both are nice additions) ... I run my RSM 250 stock, ambient temp over 100F common here were I live in the summers, we do run the air conditioning keeping it at 73F.

Glenn - you are the man and will always be the man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ajbang

awesome thnx guys - will let you know once I start...

another quick ? if I purchase the dry live rock from bulkreefsupply.com should I put the live sand in together to start the cycle OR cycle the live rock first then put in the sand??

Thanks!

Anthony

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Sand and rock together....and add a deli shrimp to help the cycle along.

Wolffman64

Hi, and welcome to the RSM250 world! I have been running an RSM250 for a year and a half now, and it's a great setup. The only thing that I quickly had to invest in was a chiller, and a bigger pump to drive the chiller and circulation nozzle on the right. The RSM250 manual says that you can add another pump to the right hand chamber to drive the chiller, utilising the above mentioned accessories panel in the back, with the return from the chiller back into the same chamber.
I found that setup a bit strange, since it means that you return the chilled water back to the same chamber from where you pump the water into the chiller. Didn't work great IMO, even though some of the chilled water is being pumped into the tank with the original circulation pump. I got the advice in here, which I followed, to replace the original pump with a larger one, take the output from the pump via the accessory panel to the chiller. The return from the chiller goes back through the accessory panel directly to the return nozzle into the tank. This works very well.

I hope you could understand what I meant, and I would have posted some photos if I knew how to add pics to threads (have failed miserable so far in my own new RSM500 thread, with nobody answering my cries for help so far).

Best of luck with your tank, I'll be happy to share any other knowledge I have picked up along the way by making mistakes, just let me know.