tanked the show,, read on!

kyle4201

I do love the show tanked, they are so terrible of actors however their personalities are off the charts.Plus Agnes is really all that.lol. anyway my question lies here. Knowing what I know now I realize that you have to cycle a tank and there's a lot more involved then just filing it and putting fish in within 24 hours. Not to mention all of their pretty fake plastic coral stuff will be full of alge and other nasty stuff in about 2 weeks. I realize that they are huge and the tank building business so they must be doing something right to get this big. How do they pull this off or is it just a bunch of BS for TV and the real tanks they do what I think you're supposed to do? Now mind you it's 2 o'clock in the morning and I'm pretty drunk so please interpret this however you have to but I'm sure let you know I'll know what I'm talking about because everyone I know in the tank world hates these guys. By the way I'm using talk to text so anything spelt or said wrong don't blame me. Lol lol lol. they don't even put fish in a corn teen tank or anything they just put th right in the main tank and be like yeah it's awesome and then walk away. I wonder about those tanks that they make better sealed and you can't even get into them to clean them or scrape the glass or do anything but feed.Just saying I'm not sure how to take the situation because I'm so adamant about my tank. Lol. But seriously.ok. going to bed. Lol I just had to vent to the only people I would understand. :)

KidKuiper

Ya, I find myself getting pretty upset with some of the stuff those guys do as well. Particularly the New York telephone booth tank. They really screwed the owners with the maintenance issues on that one. A lot of the tanks they build require human entry, which causes the clients to have to hire outside cleaning crews, but by the look of the people that receive the tanks on the show, money is not their main concern. In terms of the water and the lack of cycling, all that water comes pre-cycled. Also keep in mind that their is A LOT that goes on behind camera (acclimating and things of the sort). They have to fit the entire process into 50 minute tv spot, and often times it involves two or more tanks. So its basically balls to the wall the whole way through. So ya the things they do on the show are pretty controversial, but at the same time they are a very popular show causing a lot of excitement towards the hobby. Lets just hope the people feeling inspired do their research first and don't just wing it.

blackbeltmom

PREMIUM
Like KidKuiper said, the biggest thing to remember when watching this show is that it is edited for TV and so it is appealing to the viewing audience.

Also, their acrylic tanks are not cheap. There is a guy in our local club that had them quote making a tank for him after his 300 gallon glass tank sprung a leak. He never told us what they quoted, but he went to another acrylic tank builder and got the tank built for considerably less. I guess I am telling this, because the point is, if you can afford one of their tanks, then you can probably afford to pay someone to do the upkeep. For example, the Cowfish tank in Raleigh, which has been a big topc of discussion on one of the NC forums that I frequent. The Tanked guys hooked them up with a maintenance company. Bids were taken and they picked a company. Unfortunately, the one they picked was not used to dealing with a tank of that magnitude so the tank suffered and the tank owner had to change maintenance companies. These over-the-top tanks were probably built thinking the consumer will not be worrying with the actual upkeep and a professional in this field should be able to handle it. Unfortunately, from what I see on some forums, including Reef Central, where there are members near these tanks, this is not always the case. This ends up reflecting badly on the Tanked guys since they built them, not the companies that can't maintain them.

You need to remember, this is edited for TV. Made to look like it is done all in a short amount of time. I have seen interviews where Brett and Wayde actually said they were not happy (especially when the show was first airing) with the fact that the editing made the process look quick and simple.

Like I said before, you need to take the show for its entertainment value. They are hilarious to watch and they make my family laugh.

Last edited:

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Now this was just funny "corn teen tank"...funny thing is I knew exactly what you meant!!

Mike Johnson

IMO there is nothing real in reality TV. And their clients? - "a fool and his money are soon parted"

"Corn teen tank" - is that a distillery?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
:drunk: don't believe everything you see on TV should be tried at home :ofr:
I doubt they'll ever do any 6 week follow up shows on those tanks :D

Edit: :ponder2:...well, they might but I wouldn't believe it either!

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
I've seen a few interviews with the production staff and the two guys for Tanked. They have openly stated that these builds are in the works for months in advance. Fish are held in quarantine facilities before being shipped and placed into the tanks. When they go to "choose the fish" for the next tank, those are in fact the fish that were chosen a while ago and are being held for them. The water, as mentioned above, is pre-cycled. The idea of all of these tanks being last minute rush jobs is just for the show. They show moments during the construction of the tank and piece them together to make you think that this is all taking place within a two week time span. Not always the case. In fact, mostly NOT the case.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Anyone remember this? Tanked doesn't want to do follow up shows on the tanks. And, if you follow up on this story the owner wants to do it again!

http://reefbuilders.com/2013/06/18/tanked-learns-a-hard-lesson-from-hasty-fish-stocking/

The sad part is: People want what they see (I've honestly never got to watch a whole episode of this show because I don't have the remote control EVER :mad:) but people expect to throw up a tank just that fast & it's hard to make them believe that it's NOT GOOD to try for instant success like that. They fill their new tanks with every fish they want cause the water is cycled & then those fish get sick and die. :(

landshark

Its not a bad show, but like anything you need to do your homework. They do build some interesting tank which I wouldn't mind owing if i had the budget to maintain it. so all we can do is just watch the show and spread the word "don't believe everything you see on TV"

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Kyle, they were at MACNA last year. Chances they will be again this year. Go and talk to them. You won't find nicer people. The Fish Tank Kings were there too which is a similar show on Nat Geo. I don't think the show is touted as a 'how to' show. It's a show about off the wall huge expensive tank set ups.

kyle4201

Yea, Thats all about what I thought. My only other question would be,, no live rock?? and Pre cycled water?? hmm, Now I look forword to talking to them at the show. :) o,, and EVERY TIME I say quarantine tank into my phone it comes out corn teen tank,, I usually go back and fix it, maybe Ill just start leaving it, lollol

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I think we should adopt "corn teen" and make it our official version of the word.
Add it to the list somebody! :thumber:

kyle4201

LOL D,, Awesome!!!! You have no idea how many times I have to go back and correct it when Im in the pool using talk to text. Now I wont have to worry. lol. How do we get it on the list,,and what list? lol

kyle4201

Wow, b good article. Thx black belt. Still wondering about not having any live rock at all, and how they keep all that intricate stuff clean when some of those tanks are sealed.