OK Two new 75 Starfire tanks on the way and lots of possibilities and money.

Basile

Well this is a return to the hobby after many years and lots have changes so i'll need a bit of help on some items. I know pretty much what i want but some of the desing is not clear and some of the info is out of date. So here goes.

In my signature its pretty clear what i want to do, but in reality their's lots of unknows. For instance, the stand, the company i'm dealing with hasn't comback to me on it. the two first tank will be displayed the sump will be on the floor under the first two tanks. My mesurement are as follows for the Black steel stand;

So 28 " OFF the floor thats the room i'm giving myself under the main reef tank. 30" why i never was there long enough the last time anyway.

36" for the tank and light and moving space. The tank is 20 " so 16" for head room before the other shelf hit me in the face.....outch No???

The other tank is 20" as well and the ceilling is 12 " further up thats all folks. I got another solution since i'm having the stand custom made i could have the second tank custom made as well at 16" instead of 20 " and give myself another 4" to work on top of the main reef tank. I've got a few more questions like that.

My Loop in that size tank where would i put not the return they're going in the biotope and then coming down the reef to feed with pods. No the loop will make circulation going in both the reef and maybe one in the biotope too much in there is not that good any way. So how deep and where and hwo many for a 75 G actually 2 tanks of 75 G. The pumps i hear Velocity T3 pumps a little less powerfull actually lol Poseidon PS3 Silent External Aquarium Water Pump .

Basile

great to have you back in the hobby Basile,welcome home :)

HEY Hey !!!! whats up??? Just took a peek at the first few pics of your thread , whats going on with your tank these days, still running or not. I of course am on rebuild mode my tanks my life , my job, a new cat, Basile died....was poisoned by someone. I left my job can't deal with negative people anymore. Starting a new career. But first got to get out of Depression so will blow some dough on a new system what better way to cheer yourself up than blow some dough....anyway if i don't pay the goverment here in Canada have special hotels with pools and cornerstore we can rob at night just for fun before we get out we're well trained lol.

Anyway enought about me, one of these day you'll have to come over and see my place, specially if i win the dam 40 millions loto thats coming up.

Willie McDaries

LOL mine tank is still running and doing great,it's covered in coral now too :D I'm working on trying to convert to LED lights

Basile

Ok guys i think i made a mistake in my design look at it and let me know if i did . maybe its nothing but.... anyway look at it.

Plans8-1.jpg

I'm pretty sure i forgot to filter my biotope up there it dumps right in my Reef tank non-gratta. So what do i do? Where do i put those pipes. Do i send the drain directly into the sum? What a ride and noises! Dump it in the Reef's box? I'm Stuck , i'm stuck ! I'm Stuck!!!!!

Basile

Some of the features on my main Reef tank

The 1"1/2 wide black coast to coast Calfo overflow.

Jaggededgeoverflow11.jpg

The thank external black box and four bottom hole for the loop

Loopholespositioning2.jpg

The hole in black are the one planned the rest are not , my tank is only 48" long X 18 " deep X 20 tall 75 G it will be connected to another big tank the top tank 48 " long X 18 " deep X 16" tall , my sump debatable i don't know what i need because of the loop HELP!!!

Loopholespositioning1.jpg

Basile

Great news guys it seems that i will be able to jack up my tank size after all and go for a 100 G , Yeppy!!!! That means that all my drawings and plans have to be redone bummer!!:cry1: Oh well but the concept stays the same. just got to rearange everything:banghead:. Ok anybody knows the closed loop deal like the back of their hand; i got to come up with a plan for my plan if the plan is to go ahead. Really need help with this. The tank i'm having made will be around $1 200 starfire glass 3 panels plus drills. Thats only the reef one the top one is a $ 450 drilled and the 70G sump is $ 400 drilled .

Basile

Here are the changes ;
Overall system will be a central 100 G LPS reef tank with a closed loop cause i want anemones in there and aqua sculptures. Programable LED lighting shalow sand bottom.

The top tank will be a 80 G diverse macro algae biotope 72"x 18"x16" divided in two or two 30 gallons tanks with miracle mud and sand for my sea horses , crabs and shrimps , no snails and will be part of the overall filtration system. Lit by T5 system not sure what yet. no ballast.

The sump in the bottom of the stand will be a 70G clean and clear for my instrument no lights.

So the plan his; A coast to coast 1"1/2 wide intake overflow into an external box 30" long X 5" wide leading to the sump. The return going to the second 80 G tank on top will be divide in two section and coming down into the main central reef tank. The closed loop however will be only for the central reef tank. The top 80 tank will have a loop feed but the flow must be medium to slow. A few powerheads made required but the biotopes are for seahorses and anglers and scorpios, seperatly of course.

Plans9-2.jpg

Basile

Sorry guys the pics in photobucket was deleted by mistake so here's one to replaces it, a better one anyway better details and better loop connections too

Closedloopfull.jpg

The pump was suppose to be a volocity T3 pump but they're no longer made so instead i'm going with either the Blue Line 30 HD external, by Pan world or the Reeflo Blowhole BH 850 3 speed

Basile

I'll be using a 1" diameter drain pipe from my enternal box 30"x5"x5" to a 2 micron filter sock connected by Ultra-Flex pvc pipe black tubing. I"m not sure again how big to make my holes for the returns.

Basile

Refining the plans now; this time the lights i'm considering adding 2 inch on my planed 18 inch headroom space between the two levels.

Closedloopfulllit-1.jpg

I'm also considering making my single overflow box, two boxes on either end of the back panel, since most of my plumbing will be directed there anyway. One of the reason i have a gap of 12 inch between the wall and the steel stand in the first place is to be able to reach in the back to work on stuff so why put everything in the middle then. Thats why the headroom under the sump is not paramount. One other thing, my main 2" drain going to the skimmer would be perfect in that corner and i would use two other 1" pipe or U flex to feed my loop from the other box, that would serve to protect againts snails and sand in my pump too no need of strainers in the tank. Would i have to make the box much bigger you think because of the pump demand ? Would i have make them syphon or not. The pump is a Pan World 100PX-X Magnetic Water Pump100PX-X 1270gph 13' 130W 1" MPT / 1" MPT 10.5"x4"x5.5" Please do not suggest powerheads to me because of power consumpsion, power is free to me.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Must admit, I am a little lost looking at all this, but I am enjoying thread and look forward to seeing the build come to life :dance:

Basile

Must admit, I am a little lost looking at all this, but I am enjoying thread and look forward to seeing the build come to life :dance:

I'm lost too. i can only plan for next year or so my court order is being lift this november so i can only have my tank then. And plumbing is a nightmare for me. I can design , i can make sculptures, do grafting, pegg, drill,cook, but electricity and plumbing are two thing i can't do. Or plan. So far i know that the stand is $ 2 000 , the first 100G starfire tank will be $ 1200 before drilling,( and i don't know where and what to drill for now and how big) the second starfire tank 80G will be separated in two by baffles like in the sump to avoid the Anglers and seahorses to meet and the cleaner shrimps and all. Again i need holes, (where and how big is my questions) I have a plan but no one can seem to give me an estimate if i'm doing right or if i'm going to drown. I'm worried about flooding again, my sump is suppose to be 70 G is that enough considering i'm having a return going from the sump to a second level up???? yep i'm lost allright . The plans look nice on paper , but i need a plumber to tell me if its feasable before i contact the tank company to ok the plans and the fittings. The pump is about $ 200 , the skimmer $ 500 , the light Either the 5 Razors at $ 500 / or 2 Radions at $ 800 and 2 Razors at $ 500 OOUUFFF that was long. I'm really discourage:banghead

The plans has also changed again:

Lecompletloop.jpg

Basile

Boy i did an all nighter for this one some night i tell ya.

Whenever a bulkhead is being described, it always refers to the inner sockets,

never the exterior part. The measurement refers to the inner diameter of the

plumbing that will fit inside of it. For example, a 1.5" bulkhead will accept a 1.75"

PVC part with an inner diameter of 1.5" internally (where the water flows).
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WHEN I SAY LEFT SIDE OR RIGHT SIDE IT IS ALWAYS IN REFFERENCE TO

THE PLAN. NOT HOW WE WILL BE LOOKING AT THE TANK FROM THE

FRONT. THE PLAN HAS BEEN MADE FROM THE BACK .

Lecompletloop.jpg

Top aquarium 80 G starfire 3 panels ;
Drilled back panel only 4 Holes only .

1 corner baffles on each side;

Right side;

-one return 1" 3/4 Hole for a 1" bulkhead (80 TxT) 2" left from the corner overflow box 1" above the water line.

-One 2" 3/8 hole for a 1.5" bulkhead( 80 SxS) Durso sypon drain pipe meeting the left with a U-flex

Left side;

-One 1"3/4 hole for a 1" bulkhead (80 SxS) connecting a 1" pipe to main Reef tank

-One 2" 3/8 hole for a1.5"bulkhead (80 SxS) Durso sypon drain pipe meeting the right into a
1.5" flex going into the sump.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Reef Main 100 G starfire tank

Left side;
-5 holes of 3/4" for coast to coast overflow( 2 for main drain box, 3 for loop feed box)

-2 X 2" 3/8 holes 1.5" bulkhead( 80 SxS) syphon drain pipe meeting in the sump 70G.

-1 hole of 2" 3/8 hole 1.5" bulkhead( 80 SxS) emergency drain pipe going to the sump 70G.

Right side;

-2 X 2" 3/8 holes 1.5" bulkhead( 80 SxS) 1.5" pipe in the loop feed box connecting to a 2" U flex going directly to the pump( Adaptor needed) ; Fittings (Inlet/Outlet): 1" MPT / 1" MPT

- Closed loop returns Holes both in the back panel , 4 inch from bottom of tank, 24 " from side of the tank , left side and right side. 2" 3/8 hole for a 1.5"bulkhead (80 TxT)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The sump 70 G regular glass

-One 1"3/4 hole for a 1" bulkhead (80 SxS) for a 1 inch intake pump.

Pan World 50PX-X Magnetic Water Pump (1100gph
Warranty: 2-year full manufacturer warranty on parts and labor.

Max Flow: 1100gph @0', 690 pgh @5' head pressure
Max Head: 13ft
Power: 90W
Fittings (Inlet/Outlet): 1" MPT / 1" MPT
Dimensions (L x W x H): 10" x 4" x 5"
Comparable to Iwaki: 30RLXT or Iwaki 30RLXT

Blueline30HDpumppanworld.jpg

Last edited:

Basile

A few changes first its no longer 75 its 100 G

So its 100 G starfire for the Reef tank and an 80 G split tank starfire for the top Macro-Algae biotope tank. Then the plan was not of a real closed loop because i was reminded that a closed loop...well is closed ! So i changed the circuit again to this.

Trueclosedloop.jpg

I also changed my stech engine for sketch up, still learning it so got to get use to it for completly redo my plans, but here's some of them.

That one might have to be redone some of you think snails and seaweeds could get me in trouble by clogging the 1.5" drain, even with the jagged edge coast to coast overflow and those in an overflow box 30"X6"X9"H

Reef4.jpg

DSCN9693.jpg

Photo651-1.jpg

Photo641.jpg

My closed loop returns going into the acceleration sculptures

Reef1.jpg

Basile

Changing the drain as well from spaflex to a syphon system

I got a lot of WOOO awwwww and such fear of clogging in my drain pipes even in the overflow box after the coast to coast jagged edge overflow * my english stops here) thing...lol So i'll modify it for a syphon system, but this was my original plan on sketch up.I was using spaflex just like in my old tank with a Calfo coast to coast overflow ( Had a major flooding but not from that, still nervous about flooding....)

Reef3.jpg

Still be using my 24"x6"x9"H Box for this and same position of the original plan for the syphons, just using the syphon design

Untitled-17.jpg

eww

RS Sponsor
Can I ask what you are planning to do to support those external overflow boxes? That's a lot of weight hanging out there when they are full of water (almost 5 gallons each) and then you add the pull of plumbing hanging off it as well. The weight of the glass box + 5 gallons of water + plumbing = 50-60 lbs pulling downward and outward on each box. I'd hate to see you have a box peel away from the tank :( I don't mean to be a buzz kill. i just want to make sure you have thought about it.

StirCrayzy

Glad to find your official tank thread!
I dont get the need for the boxes at all. Why not just run the plumbing straight into the C2C.
I did all my drains and return into the tank with no box, but it requires about 3" x 3" internal box minimum (4"x4" for removal of fittings.)
I have to say the plans are a bit overwhelming, but you will have a masterpiece for sure.

Another option. Why not buy a premade tank to use as a sump? Seems easier and more economical.

Here are some helpful planning links ive used.

Drilling chart here ~~~~|> Inside Aquatics • View topic - Bulkhead to Hole Size

FlowRate calculator ~~|> Bean Animal's Bar and Grill - Hydraulics for the Aquarist

Basile

Can I ask what you are planning to do to support those external overflow boxes? That's a lot of weight hanging out there when they are full of water (almost 5 gallons each) and then you add the pull of plumbing hanging off it as well. The weight of the glass box + 5 gallons of water + plumbing = 50-60 lbs pulling downward and outward on each box. I'd hate to see you have a box peel away from the tank :( I don't mean to be a buzz kill. i just want to make sure you have thought about it.

I have no idea i'm not building the tank it being custon built by Miracle Aquariums and they do starfire aquariums, and they make those boxe, in acrylic for the third panel at the back which wont be of glass. The tank is 3 glass panel the back must be an acrlylic base kind i guess not sure. The Starfire glass is 1/2" and they are heavy i'm told, And thats what they sell for them.