opinions on biofilters and air stones

Tank

I've now had two fish in a small tank (freshwater) for several months. My son got them at school, and I stuck them in an old small tank we had around, not thinking they would last very long, based on previous experience. But they have actually thrived! Anyway, the tank uses a gravel bio-filter set up and a bubbler air stone. There is no cartridge filter. I'm surprised its working so well. What do you think of gravel bio filters, and how do you know when to replace an airstone? Tanks.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Sure some RS member can advise :)

DaveK

For a traditional FW tank, under gravel filters are ok. Since you didn't tell us anything about the tank, it's hard to know if it would benefit by adding additional filtration.

Air stones don't do much in most systems. Generally you only need to change them when they no longer work.

SubRosa

A gravel based biofilter is actually a very good method, but it does require maintenance of the gravel bed. You should be vacuuming the gravel while performing water changes.

Tank

For a traditional FW tank, under gravel filters are ok. Since you didn't tell us anything about the tank, it's hard to know if it would benefit by adding additional filtration.

Air stones don't do much in most systems. Generally you only need to change them when they no longer work.

The air stone seems to be working, so I think I can let it be until it stops working. Its in a tube connected under the gravel, and the rising air bubbles create a current to pull water through the gravel. I thought all the bubbles might also be adding oxygen, though I know it comes in through the surface too. The two small fish seem happy, so I'm not sure how I tell if a charcoal filter is even needed. Too bad I can't talk to fish.