Looking for opinions

Friday24

Hey all, I've got an RSM400 that's been up and running for about 3 or 4 months now. Since I've started putting coral (lps and sps) in the tank I've been extremely dissappointed with the lack of color they seem to have and I believe it has to do with the lighting, being that it came with 10k's and actinics. So around the February time frame I should be to the point that I need to change the bulbs, however I really would like to do LED's. I have been looking at the AI Sol's becuase I want to also integrate them with 2 Vortech MP40EC's and a controller to be able to setup for sunrise/sunset, lunar phase, and thunderstorms. Opinions I'm looking to get would be about the number of lights that would be best for the tank, and also which controller is the most "user friendly", Apex or Profilux. I've read alot of reviews over the last few days and they both seem to have the same options, does anyone know the actual differences between them if there are any? I'm leaning toward the Profilux as of now based on how the setup looks with dropdown choices vs writing code, and using a 3 light setup. Also does anyone know if you can connect a webcam to either controller for live streaming? I thinks thats about it. Thanks in advance! Oh and I guess this would be important also but with the stock circulation pumps and the main return will they affect the ability to get a good wave simulation?

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I use a dropcam for live streaming and it's about as user friendly as a toaster. I highly recommend it. You can click on the link in my signature and see mine, currently set up in my dog's room.

Nob35

Hi I just ordered 4 AI Vega's for my RSM 650. I just got it a few days ago so still setting it up. The newer models now come with 5 blue white, 3 actinic and 2 rose T5's, but not sure how they look since I have not had water in it yet.i'm changeling to the AI Vega's so I don't need a chiller and energy cost. I decided on them because they will fit in the front T5 area of the stock canopy and only hang below about 1/8th of a inch. I will take pictures when I do the conversion and post them on my thread which should be about a week from now. Not sure if this helped with your decision but this is what I came up with after a lot of research on LEDs

Nob35

So far just the AI controller but they are developing software called the director that will be run through a wireless router so will be able to control from everywhere using comp.,tablet or smart phone. It debuted at MACNA and all reports have been positive that I read. One complaint that I have read about theo Vega's is that they are a little complicated to figure out timeing because they use sunrise to sunset programming and also have a lunar cycle and they all have ramp times that mess things up if you don't get the right but they say the director takes all the issues away and makes it simple to program. I would think that after the release of the director they will allow apex and profilux to develop a mod to connect them.

Nob35

Finished putting in my lights. It now has 4 AI Vega's in the front section. I cut vents for fans with a dremel.
c9a07b4cf9a1ce362d65df5b479f1801_zpsec3003ab.jpg

8f5c6036b5cdd61dc2778955da13e123_zpsf9f851f2.jpg

8ce1fa49b8ef240a8464b2ab129deb09_zps439fe363.jpg

cb10e213efaf9b4a9627859d41cfd3f2_zps7e028ec8.jpg

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
That's a very neat and clean looking install.

I can't wait to see how they perform in your tank like that. Which Vegas did you go with?

Nevermind I see it in your build thread

AI Vega COLOR

Great choice! :)

steved13

PREMIUM
Hey all, I've got an RSM400 that's been up and running for about 3 or 4 months now. Since I've started putting coral (lps and sps) in the tank I've been extremely dissappointed with the lack of color they seem to have and I believe it has to do with the lighting, being that it came with 10k's and actinics. So around the February time frame I should be to the point that I need to change the bulbs, however I really would like to do LED's. I have been looking at the AI Sol's becuase I want to also integrate them with 2 Vortech MP40EC's and a controller to be able to setup for sunrise/sunset, lunar phase, and thunderstorms. Opinions I'm looking to get would be about the number of lights that would be best for the tank, and also which controller is the most "user friendly", Apex or Profilux. I've read alot of reviews over the last few days and they both seem to have the same options, does anyone know the actual differences between them if there are any? I'm leaning toward the Profilux as of now based on how the setup looks with dropdown choices vs writing code, and using a 3 light setup. Also does anyone know if you can connect a webcam to either controller for live streaming? I thinks thats about it. Thanks in advance! Oh and I guess this would be important also but with the stock circulation pumps and the main return will they affect the ability to get a good wave simulation?

As far as what one can do over the other there is just about no difference between the Profilux and the apex. Having owned both I can say the Profilux is built better.

As far as what is different, you can check out this thread I wrote when switching from the apex to the Profilux:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/equipment/79643-my-new-profilux-3-1nex.html

ive been using the AI sols for over a year now and I'm having very good results. For recommendation on number of units, what are the dimensions of the RS 400?

you can still get a good wave motion with the stock pumps going, but I don't know of anyone who runs the vortechs in wave mode. Most seem to use reef crest, or like I do NTM. With a controller, you can change the modes and intensities throughout the day. I use the lagoon mode at 40% over night and the NTM from 50% ramping up to 90% and then back to 50% throught the day, and then back to lagoon.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Not sure this helps Steve... but from Red Sea's site...

Red Sea Max S Series - External dimensions (inch) Models 400 - 500 & 650
Height: 66”, Width: 28”, Length (according to model): 42” 51” 64”

Aquarium volume Display tank with rear circulation pump chamber 350 L (97 gal) 440 L (119 gal) 560 L (150 gal)
Filtration sump volume Glass sump with preparation for auxiliary reactors or refugium 50 L (13 gal) 60 L (16 gal) 90 L (25 gal)

http://www.redseafish.com/uploadimages/MAX-S-Line Specifications ENG 4w.pdf

steved13

PREMIUM
2 units should do it. The 28 front to back is pushing it a little but I always remind people you don't mount coral to the front glass

Nob35

Just so you know the RSM S Series the depth of the tank is only 21.5". The rest of the 28" is the pump section.

Friday24

Wow the Vegas look awesome mounted inside like that!! I'm sold on the vegas now for the simple fact that they fit inside so clean. I'll probably start with 2 and see how it looks and if need be get another, but i doube i'll need it.

Nob35

They do fit but without doing a little cutting and grinding they will hang about 1/8th to 1/4 inch below the bottom. I used a dremel with cutting wheels and drill saw to notch out the reflector slides that were for the T5's to get a better fit. It took a little time and a bunch of cutting wheels but I think it was worth it to make them unnoticeable and if I ever want to put the T5's back in I left enough of the slides that it will be no problem doing it. If you do not do this you may be able to get away with not cutting or drilling wholes for the fans as there will be more room above them.