Xenia - strange growth at base - removed but back next night??

picojacks

Hello

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice for the sake of my poor xenia. I'm a newbie to reef tank and bet you knowable ones have come across this before. First mistake I made, thought I'd start off with a little pico tank (13 litres) as that would be easier than a bigger tank - how wrong can you be! I now know that bigger tanks are easier to control for water perams but hey live and learn. Anyway I have had some happy Xenia at the top of my tank for a good four months the first inclining I had that something was wrong was when I noticed it had angry all tight fists and noticed that the stalk, which was fat and chubby, was getting thinner and a bit droopey. I noticed a strange growth connecting to the stalk and trailing on the rock. I left it a couple of days and it generated two tiny white mushroom like growths but I don't think it fungal. I removed it with tweezers it was very difficult to remove - it broken off in pieces - it was white on the top and darker underneath - the consistency was like tough candy floss or dense spider web. There was a little hole under it - but that could just be a coincidence. The xenia's little fists seemed to relax after the removal of floss but lo and behold the growth was back again - removed - xenia a little happier but growth came back again. The growth happens in the night. I am lucky, in as much as, the troubled xenia is on the top rock so can be easily removed. I hate the thought of just throwing away the rock and xenia but am tempted to for the safety of the whole tank. I haven't got another tank that I can put the xenia in quarantine - any thoughts would be really appreciated ! :dunno:

Doogle

Welcome to RS! If you can post a pic that will help other members see what your describing and will be able to help better. It's not the xenia growing and spreading right?

picojacks

Thanks Doogle -Stupidly I just removed the sinister candy floss 10 mins ago but it'll be back again in the morning so I'll take a photo and post it so hopefully it can be identified!