Caveat emptor - "Let the buyer beware"... just a reminder

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Just a reminder to all RS members buying from other members...

"Caveat emptor" when sending funds to new members on "deals that sound too good to be true".

Let the buyer beware...Prov. Cliché When you buy something, you must take precautions against being cheated, because you cannot trust everyone to be honest about what they sell

If a deal "sound to good to be true, it almost always is, anyone can always ebay items and get fair value, so any member here you don't know, selling on RS a deal that sounds "too good to be true" it probably is - remember - Let the buyer beware...

reeferman

very good sticky Glenn.it can happen to any of us.im dealing with it right now.seller answered all pms prompt and was forthcoming with info.after payment was sent,all communication stopped.i should have really known better as im definitely no newbie when it comes to forum buying but the deal was truly too good to pass up.when the seller seemed to be legit,i pulled the trigger.but honestly,in all my years in reefing,this was the first time ive been burned on a deal.us reefers, as a whole ,are pretty honest,trustworthy folks.i will not let this jade my opinion,ill just be much more weary of dealings with people i dont know.
just as Glenn said,if it sounds too good to be true,it usually is.

steved13

PREMIUM
Just my .02

Nothing against new folks, but when buying always take into consideration, RS member history. A member who has a vested interest in RS (has been around awhile and contributing information and input, or asking for advice) is probably a safer bet than someone who has just joined and made the minimum posts to sell something. If I were a new member, selling to a veteran member, I would totally understand some healthy scepticism on the buyers part, and do my best to accomodate that buyer.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I like this thread :) It's words of wisdom :)

Just for the record... the "Min # of posts" etc is in place to protect our members. I can assure you that everyone on staff here at RS is working day and night (some of them BOTH LOL) to do everything we can to protect each and every one of our members.

Singlefin

Someone should create an online third party "distribution" center where an item could be shipped and verified by a reputable insured company and they would in turn ship the item once the buyer makes payment. Would cost a little more to the transaction, but for bigger ticket items might be worth it. Could be used for forum, craigslist, eBay or any online buying from individuals. Just brainstorming. You see people get burned from time to time on forums. Pretty lame.

DaveK

Someone should create an online third party "distribution" center where an item could be shipped and verified by a reputable insured company and they would in turn ship the item once the buyer makes payment. Would cost a little more to the transaction, but for bigger ticket items might be worth it. Could be used for forum, craigslist, eBay or any online buying from individuals. Just brainstorming. You see people get burned from time to time on forums. Pretty lame.

This has been tried before. Even with doing that, it's real easy to have problems. FIrst off, the "distribution center" could also be a front for the seller. Second, what happens if the seller ships a defective product a wrong or junk product?

In my opinion, if your getting something really expensive, get it from a real dealer, and use a credit card. That way you can have your credit card company charge the vendor back id there is an issue.

By the way, there are some forums that just don't permit links to ebay or paypal because they compete with paying sponsors, and because they are noted for having problems.

reeferman

i really want to thank the entire RS staff for all the help.it really means a lot to know you guys have my back.a BIG thank you to Allen who has been on phone contact with me through the whole process[even at 7 am!]thanks again Al!just one more reason why RS is the best forum on the net!
i am usually a lot more apprehensive about internet deals and i was pretty sure this was legit.i hope this thread and my experience help someone else from being the victim of similar circumstances.like i said,im no newbie to reef related forum sales and have bought at least 50 times,but being anxious and naive caught up with me on this one!a dispute with paypal has been opened so im sure ill get my money back.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
266118257_REMINDER_01_xlarge.gif

caveat-emptor.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

"Caveat emptor" when sending funds to new members on "deals that sound too good to be true".

Let the buyer beware...Prov. Cliché When you buy something, you must take precautions against being cheated, because you cannot trust everyone to be honest about what they sell

If a deal "sound to good to be true, it almost always is, anyone can always ebay items and get fair value, so any member here you don't know, selling on RS a deal that sounds "too good to be true" it probably is - remember - Let the buyer beware...

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
This is a VERY important thread start to finish but there are some points that need to be "re-bumped" so that we're all on the same level here new or old. . .

Just my .02

Nothing against new folks, but when buying always take into consideration, RS member history. A member who has a vested interest in RS (has been around awhile and contributing information and input, or asking for advice) is probably a safer bet than someone who has just joined and made the minimum posts to sell something. If I were a new member, selling to a veteran member, I would totally understand some healthy skepticism on the buyers part, and do my best to accommodate that buyer.

Oxylebius

Thanks for the bump - I'm not sure how I missed seeing this thread previously, but it's a good reminder!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Thanks Oxy it is !

It's hard many times for the mods & admins to protect all our RS members like we want to on judgment calls related to items for sales - So best we can do is share this proven time tested wisdom, learnt by many from experience.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
caveat-emptor.jpg

images

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
buyer-beware2.jpg

read this thread before sending $$$ is good advise - semi-annual bump in hope this helps keep our great RS members safe & sound finically